Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Getting beat up over proposing a storm water utility

Registered
    Feb 2006

Getting beat up over proposing a storm water utility

Nothing like being accused of trying to rip people off...of totally lacking empathy....

and if you respond, you are the one who looks unprofessional....

Man I am tired of it.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    No good deed goes unpunished...its my official government workers slogan. Words to live by.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Blame it on the feds ... and, by the way, they plan to start doing inspections in hopes of finding communities that aren't doing what they are supposed to. It will not be a happy time for the communities they nail. We got it from them for discharges to a national waterway from our pre-treatment plant. Tens and tens of millions later, we have learned our lesson. Keep your chin up and good luck!
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Yep, 'yer taxin' the rain' and all that BS

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    We're about to propose that here. Our primary strategy entails blaming unfunded federal and especially state mandates. We're at least fortunate because every other city around us has already enacted such a fee.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Cities are getting nailed with storm water runoff regulations while farmers run free. Where I live any attempt to reign in anything to do with farming (like proposing farmers pay taxes on their vehicle gas) is shut down immediately. Talk about the new landed gentry.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Just keep stressing that you have to do the storm water projects anyway, and that this is a better way to pay for it than using property tax. It helps to cite the tax relief figure as well from time to time.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    Yep, 'yer taxin' the rain' and all that BS
    I had a guy come in after we implemented it... $1.51 on the water bill. "Now I gots tuh pay fer the rain, too!" I said, "Yes sir, it's unfortunate but true. At least it's summer, just wait until the winter rains hit!" Man, I could hardly keep a straight face.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Feb 2006
    We have a Long Term Control Plan with the EPA, and it calls for separation of storm and sanitary sewer.

What do you do with a councilor who claims to be sticking up for the little guy but has lots of big roofs and lots???? Is there a word for that? Probably not one I would repeat here.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Some of my work this year is about trees and stormwater, and making enough rooting volume for large trees so they can intercept precip. Only going to get stricter and stricter, and we should have started 20 years ago.

But I hear you about people complaining. Not a lot you can do, and you are going to implement measures regardless of their complaints. Look at Philly and what they are doing to get their CSO problems under control (and be glad its not you).

This is another area - like Agenda 21 - where we need someone to do a workshop where phrasing that planners can use is an output.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Hawkeye66 View post
    We have a Long Term Control Plan with the EPA, and it calls for separation of storm and sanitary sewer.

What do you do with a councilor who claims to be sticking up for the little guy but has lots of big roofs and lots???? Is there a word for that? Probably not one I would repeat here.
    Unfortunately all you can do is count on the rest of them to do the right thing.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I go through something similar three times per year! Sometimes I am amazed by how apathetic the population is, other times its like war!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Can I beat Jon Stewart?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 24 Jun 2006, 10:27 AM
  2. Proposing A 16-State Nation
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 04 Nov 2004, 7:53 PM
  3. storm water runoff standards
    Land Use and Zoning