Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The 2017 Pro Football Thread

The 2017 Pro Football Thread

Since I've never really gotten into the college game. The three teams I follow (Saints, Bears and Colts) are off to lousy starts. What do y'all think of the season so far?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jun 2011
    It's a pretty horrible season so far. Teams seem to be all over the place. Perennial stars aren't doing anything, while no-names are scoring 2-3 touchdowns a week.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    The Lions play their second game tonight so we'll see how they are. They looked pretty good on both sides of the game against the Cardinals last week so if they can do that again against the Giants tonight, they might be legit. I'm hoping Beckham doesn't play tonight.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2007
    The Lions looked pretty good last night. I'm hoping this is for real.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I liked what they did the first week. I have connections to get luxury box seats to the Ravens game and have hopefully staked my claim on the Lions/Ravens match up for Dec. 3.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Guess I need to watch the next game - who/when is it? (he said oblivious to the fact that such information is readily available online)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Looks like the Cowboys have some internal problems. it will be interesting to see how they play. The Broncos looked impressive Sunday. They have found Manning's replacement at QB.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Looks like the Cowboys have some internal problems.
    Same as it ever was.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Guess I need to watch the next game - who/when is it? (he said oblivious to the fact that such information is readily available online)
    They've got the Falcons this coming Sunday and the Vikings the week after that. Our defense is proving to be pretty stout so the Falcons will be a good test to see if we can hold up against a very good offense. The Vikings have a great defense but no real offense to speak of. After that, the Lions schedule gets relatively easier.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The Bengals may be worse than the Browns. So Ohio is KILLING it.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    The Bengals may be worse than the Browns. So Ohio is KILLING it.
    Man I really like what I'm seeing out of the Browns though. They kept up with Pittsburgh. Baltimore might be an anomaly, they look really good so far. I think Kaiser has raw talent and their defense really hasn't been terrible. I think they are trending up and should be pretty decent within the next 2-3 years.

So what did y'all think about the non TD in the Lions game?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Didn't see it. Looks like I picked a good game to miss.

I did, however, watch Green Bay - Cincinatti. That was a nail-biter at the end. Went into OT. The announcer said Aaron Rogers has never won an OT game (0-7). Looks like they broke the spell.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I understand the rule and why it exists. I think this is the first time the run-off ever came after the review of a TD and altered the outcome of the game.

My problem is that I thought it was pretty clear (of course, clear from my vantage point on the couch 15 miles away from the commotion on the field) that it was NOT a TD. I wish the refs would have noticed that right away too because otherwise the Lions would have had plenty of time to get a play off in the 8 seconds.

I wonder if this will be a catalyst to change the rule so that if it is automatic scoring review (and not a stoppage due to a penalty or injury which also causes the 10 second run-off) under the two minute warning, there will be no run-off. The teams shouldn't be penalized for the refs failure to get the call right. Either that, or remove the automatic review when there is a touchdown under the two minute warning.

This reminds me of the Calvin Johnson TD that was called off at the end of the 1st game of the season in the year the Lions went 0-16. In that instance, Johnson clearly came down with control of the ball in the end zone and then deliberately set it down when he jumped up to celebrate the game winning score. The refs called of the TD claiming he didn't have control and the Lions lost the game. Within a week, the refs and the NFL (and basically every sports talking head) said that according to the rules, Johnson's catch was a TD and the Lions should have won the game. In the off season that year the NFL made a rules change to try to more clearly define that that would have been a TD (the player receiving (or intercepting) the ball has to maintain control long enough to make a move common to the game). Of course, the "football move" rule isn't 100% clear, it's a start.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Nice to see the Falcons on the winning end of one of those weird happenings for once, but yeah - I'm guessing that the Rules Committee will at least take a look at changing that after scoring reviews. That officiating crew did not have a great game all around, though - that was hardly the first thing they got wrong.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jun 2011
    I wonder if this will be a catalyst to change the rule so that if it is automatic scoring review (and not a stoppage due to a penalty or injury which also causes the 10 second run-off) under the two minute warning, there will be no run-off. The teams shouldn't be penalized for the refs failure to get the call right. Either that, or remove the automatic review when there is a touchdown under the two minute warning.
    I don't understand why there's even a runoff to begin with. All three of those aren't really controllable. If it's automatic, don't punish teams for it. There's no logical reason for a runoff IMO. I get it, NFL games can be painfully long with little game play compared to some other sports, but a few 10 second runoffs will hardly speed the game up, and as we've seen several times, can actually affect the outcome of the game.
    Last edited by AG74683; 25 Sep 2017 at 4:14 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    I don't understand why there's even a runoff to begin with. All three of those aren't really controllable. If it's automatic, don't punish teams for it. There's no logical reason for a runoff IMO. I get it, NFL games can be painfully long with little game play compared to some other sports, but a few 10 second runoffs will hardly speed the game up, and as we've seen several times, can actually affect the outcome of the game.
    It was always my understanding that the run-off was implemented to prevent teams from trying to stop the clock by intentionally taking certain penalties or bringing trainers on the field to treat injured players when they are out of time outs and they are beyond the 2 minute warning. I can understand the intent but think they definitely need to think about changing how this one is implemented.

FWIW, Golden Tate lives directly across from my daughter's elementary school playground and he usually has a bunch of big lawn signs out during the football season (ND and Detroit Lions signs) but the signs often come down after a loss. I know the Lions sign was out Saturday and all last week he had his Lions flags flying. I need to go past his house this week and see if he took them down yesterday.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    another nail biter for the Patriot's - that was a rough game - I think the whole season will be a series of squeakers like this...
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    What's up with the Chief's going 4-0 so far. It's like they're inviting a huge losing streak.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Nice to see the Falcons on the winning end of one of those weird happenings for once...
    ...and then they get screwed by not one, but two horribly wrong calls by the replay officials during the next game. Everything is back to normal, apparently.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    What's up with the Chief's going 4-0 so far. It's like they're inviting a huge losing streak.
    They've had a great defense for a while now and their offense really seems to be clicking this season. It's only a matter of time until Alex Smith reverts to being Alex Smith though. Their schedule is about to get a little tougher for a few weeks as well but really, they have been looking pretty great this season.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    It's a pretty horrible season so far. Teams seem to be all over the place. Perennial stars aren't doing anything, while no-names are scoring 2-3 touchdowns a week.
    It sounds like someone is too heavily invested in fantasy sports.

I'm from Buffalo, and the Bills have been a pleasant surprise so far. I don't think anyone would have picked them to be 3-1, a game ahead in the division, after beating an undefeated NFC champ. Bills coaching under Rex Ryan was so frustrating the last couple years; Sean McDermott has brought a system and a vision and gotten the players to buy in. They are by no means the best team out there, but they're so much more competitive than the recent past... and they're still coming together as a team. Could be fun.

...and then they get screwed by not one, but two horribly wrong calls by the replay officials during the next game. Everything is back to normal, apparently.
    On the fumble that got returned for a touchdown, I'd need a closer look at the rule book before I condemn that call. Ryan's arm was hit *before* going forward, and was no longer in a throwing grip. As a Bills fan, we've had more than our share of getting screwed by calls like that so I'm not going to complain.

The second call was an interception, plain and simple. There used to be a rule that a pass was an incompletion if it touched the ground. They revised that rule some years ago. If the player controls the ball prior to, and all the way through, contact with the ground (as Hyde did), it's a catch, regardless of whether the ball touched the ground or not. That wasn't a trap, it was a catch.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 03 Oct 2017 at 11:22 AM. Reason: seq. posts

Sunday ended up being interesting day. The Pats, Cowboys and Falcons all lost games everyone thought they would win.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Doohickie View post
    It sounds like someone is too heavily invested in fantasy sports.

I'm from Buffalo, and the Bills have been a pleasant surprise so far. I don't think anyone would have picked them to be 3-1, a game ahead in the division, after beating an undefeated NFC champ. Bills coaching under Rex Ryan was so frustrating the last couple years; Sean McDermott has brought a system and a vision and gotten the players to buy in. They are by no means the best team out there, but they're so much more competitive than the recent past... and they're still coming together as a team. Could be fun.
    I'm in 3 leagues this year as opposed to my usual 2. I tell myself every year I'm done with fantasy yet here I am.

McDermott is awesome, and he will do good things in Buffalo (AKA Carolina Panthers North). Brandon Beane is also a great pickup (wish we'd done more to keep him after firing Gettleman for whatever reason).

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I won't argue that they got screwed on those two plays, in the sense that a case could be made for them going either way. I looked up the rules and found this: About the forward pass:

When a player is in control of the ball and is attempting to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his hand starts a forward pass.
    (a) If, after intentional forward movement of his hand, contact by an opponent materially affects the passer, causing the ball to go backward, it is a forward pass, regardless of where the ball strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else.

Looking at it legalistically, in the first bolded section there are two conditions cited for a forward pass: control of the ball and attempt to pass forward. Because Hughes hit his arm prior to the forward throwing motion, Ryan was not in control of the ball*, so that condition was not satisfied. In the second bolded section the intentional forward movement came after contact by an opponent, not before, so that clause doesn't apply in any way.

*One could argue whether Ryan had "control of the ball" after Hughes hit his arm. In this particular case, this is a judgment call; the ball was dislodged from Ryan's intended grip, even though he managed to push it forward. Because it was called a fumble during the play, the NFL, I think, did not see sufficient evidence to overturn the judgment of the official on the field.

I will readily admit that, had that been called a forward pass, that would not have been overturned either. That replay wasn't so much confirming the call, as it was not overturning it.

The second one is clearer:

Completed or Intercepted Pass. A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A
    forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:
    (a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and
    (b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and
    (c) maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, to enable him to perform any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it,
    advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.).
    Item 1: Player Going to the Ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

Hyde satisfied a, b & c. He had the same grip on the ball throughout the catch, so he maintained control as required in Item 1. That would only have been an incompletion if he had lost control of the ball before or while the ball was in contact with the ground, which never happened.

I feel your pain though: The Bills have been getting the short end of calls like that for years.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4260
    Last post: 10 Dec 2017, 1:51 PM
  2. Replies: 188
    Last post: 08 Dec 2017, 2:50 PM
  3. FANTASY FOOTBALL 2017
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 24 Aug 2017, 9:22 PM
  4. Replies: 18