Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Evil, rotten, mean, and nasty birds

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I think one of the problems in the upper Midwest, as far as geese go, is that it doesn't get nearly as cold as it used to in the winter and the geese don't fly as far south as they used to or stick around here longer than before, just making the problems that much worse.

My employer contracts with a lady who has two big dogs and drives around our campus and the locations of whoever her other clients are and stops when she sees geese congregating on the grounds and lets her dogs out to chase them away. These seems to have made a pretty good dent in the problem here over the past year or two we've been using her services.

I've heard of some parks with goose problems that have the grounds crews shake up goose eggs if they come across their nest. This will make the goose continue to sit on it thinking it will hatch and it never does. And then the next season, the goose will move on to another locale to lay its eggs because it thinks something in the environment caused its eggs not to hatch in the first location. Whereas if the parks employees just smash the eggs, the goose will just lay another one and start over again.
    Geese are just like deer. Half the folks feed them so they'll stay and the other half tries to find ways to make them leave. BTW, all those lakes and ponds get over-fertilized by excess bread and excess geese crap so everyone ends up losing.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post

I've heard of some parks with goose problems that have the grounds crews shake up goose eggs if they come across their nest. This will make the goose continue to sit on it thinking it will hatch and it never does. And then the next season, the goose will move on to another locale to lay its eggs because it thinks something in the environment caused its eggs not to hatch in the first location. Whereas if the parks employees just smash the eggs, the goose will just lay another one and start over again.
    That sounds rather cruel.

Registered
    May 2005
    I was hanging out at a friend's on Saturday night and a hummingbird flew into the house. Man, that thing was NOT interested in leaving through the door she came in. We tried all manner of contraptions to direct it toward an exit.. Finally it began tiring and as I slowly came at it with a broom to shoo it toward the door again, it just perched right on the bristly end, exhausted, and I carried it on out the door. Those tings are so tiny!!

We have tons of ornery Canada Geese here as well. The thing is, they hang with the Sandhill Cranes, which are pretty rare down this way and the Rio Grande is an important migratory route. So, if you want the Sandhills, you gotta contend with the Canada Geese. And they don't stand for anyone pushing them around! I was riding on trails by a little pond and had to stop cold and have a face-off with a couple of them right in the middle of the path. In the end, they "barely" moved aside enough for me to squeak by. Honk!

Also, my dog one time came swimming across the river from a little island with something in its mouth. Turned out with was a goose egg. Not only are those things big, they are tough as hell!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    We had a three legged cat that was death on mockingbirds. I miss her.
    "To Kill a Monkingbird", you need a 3-legged cat?

Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Back off, bird haters. Birds are good. Except for pigeons. Except for pigeons, all birds are good. And starlings. Except for pigeons and starlings, all birds are good. Oh, and cowbirds. Except for pigeons and starlings and cowbirds, all birds are good. Except for the flicker that's trying to drill a hole in my cedar siding. Except for pigeons, starlings, cowbirds, that fooking flicker, all birds are good.

I once saw a seagull catch and eat a starling. GOT to love seagulls for that.
    ... and this chair.... and this remote control.... and this paddleball.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VbI5zcB8Ac
    Last edited by Gedunker; 15 May 2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: seq. posts
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2008

I like birds, but HATE Starlings.

In fairness to me, the Starlings started it. I've put this up before, but the Angry, Angry Starling who made his way into my laundry chute from the outside wall and then took over my bathroom for a day and a half will go up again on this thread.

This bird scared the hell out of me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	family photos, dec 08 - feb 09 173.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	4917
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Anyone remember this story of a couple weeks ago?

http://www.newsmax.com/US/Swans-drow...4/16/id/436015

Maybe Bjork had the right idea - make a dress out of the nasty buggers.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Anyone remember this story of a couple weeks ago?

http://www.newsmax.com/US/Swans-drow...4/16/id/436015

Maybe Bjork had the right idea - make a dress out of the nasty buggers.
    Swans and farm geese are nasty, vicious beasts.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Do you think birds prefer to poop on silver cars? Seriously.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Do you think birds prefer to poop on silver cars? Seriously.
    If I was going to dump on a car, I'd pick a silver one. Seriously.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    If I was going to dump on a car, I'd pick a silver one. Seriously.
    What do you mean "if"? But yes, silver. Always silver. Silver is the snottiest of the colors. So smug. So shiny. It begs to be pooped on.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2004
    Bird poop is good for gardens.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Bird poop is good for gardens.
    But you have to park a silver car in the garden to get enough volume.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    When I find bird poop on my car, I go to the store and get some fried chicken. Then I eat it outside so those birds know what I'm capable of...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    When I find bird poop on my car, I go to the store and get some fried chicken. Then I eat it outside so those birds know what I'm capable of...
    Any animal that will fly into a window repeatedly until it dies is a stupid, dumb, stupid rotten animal.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    If we are going to be out of town for a few days, I lower the bird feeder to about a foot off the ground and fill it with birdseed. Then I let the cat out, so he can eat and not be too bored while we are gone
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Starlings (Grackles) are social critters. When the wind blows a chick out of its nest, I throw it over the fence so the neighbor cats can have a treat. Not just the mom, but up to 8 others try to stop me. So far I have always won...but there have been some nightmares.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    What do you do when you find dog poop in your yard?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Korean restaurant take-out?

Registered
    May 2005
    A dog's got personality.

Adult language......................
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I've been seeing increasing numbers of wild turkeys here in the Appleton area in recent years. They are big, don't fly and carry a nasty attitude.

I agree with the OP, though - robins maintain very messy nests and are a great incentive to keep the garage door closed - they'll nest in the garage if you don't!

Mike

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    I've been seeing increasing numbers of wild turkeys here in the Appleton area in recent years. They are big, don't fly and carry a nasty attitude.

I agree with the OP, though - robins maintain very messy nests and are a great incentive to keep the garage door closed - they'll nest in the garage if you don't!

Mike
    There were 3 wild turkeys next to my car the other morning. Scared the crap out of me because they were between the driver's door and the concrete retaining wall and I didn't see them until I came around the rear of the car to get into it.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    A bird just flew into the building here at work and died. They are stupid, stupid creatures.

Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Bounties should be placed upon Canadian Geese.

Can't we hunt them into near extinction? They are so slow and fat, small chikdren should be taught to fry them up and wash them down with 32 oz sugared sodas.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 24
    Last post: 21 Aug 2013, 10:51 AM
  2. Birds
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 05 Sep 2010, 9:18 PM
  3. Nasty foods
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 105