Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Maybe a Jeep?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    You could look into a Golf TDI if you're interested in a hatchback. That's honestly what I'd get if I got another car now (or a Nissan Juke).

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    You could look into a Golf TDI if you're interested in a hatchback. That's honestly what I'd get if I got another car now (or a Nissan Juke).
    Mike, can you wait a year?

(Link: diesel Chevrolet Cruze in the US in 2013.)

For long-distance commutes, a diesel Jetta would be an great choice. Be forewarned; auto reviewers didn't like the cheap quality of the interior, and the reliability of VWs are still a notch below American and Japanese cars. There's also the Passat diesel, made in the USA. I had a lot of bad experiences with my 1998 Passat, fun car as it was, finally culminating in the engine sludging over at 98K despite religiously timed oil changes. However, VW diesel engines are bulletproof compared to their gasoline equivalents.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    Good grief, that's an ugly vehicle!
    Think of it in context that these are the same guys who brought you the Aztec!

I just love the idea of having a hot rod caddy wagon.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I agree...

Another option that I have been kicking around is a diesel VW TDI jetta. I test drove one the other day and I like the way it handled, it sounds like it gets great gas millage, and it is something that can run on bio diesel (if I can find it).

Does anyone have any information on these? Personal reviews or opinions are welcomed!

Only limitation with any vehicle is it needs to be black and have at least 5 lug nuts per wheel. (personal requirement) Otherwise I am open to any vehicle that I can legally drive in the US.... that is not ugly as sin.
    I got to know a state rep a few years back and after he was elected he purchased a Jetta TDI for his commute between him home and the capitol. It was approximately 50 miles each way and he had to do it at least 4 days a week during session. He loved the car. He only had to fill up once a week, the handling was good and it was not a bad looking car. His district also included many mining communities and he said it had plenty of power to drive through the mountains. He said the toughest part was the cost of getting gas...not the cost to fill the tank but when he would see that diesel was 20-40 cents higher and that went away after a few months when the total cost much less than his Tahoe. He has over 120k on the car and still loves it. I never asked him if he has driven snow.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jul 2006

Wrangler recall

Might want to stay away from the 2010 Wranglers...

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...fire-risk?lite
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I had a Cherokee, it was a decent ride putting around town but not so much on the highway. Jeeps get really quirky the more mileage they have. I sold my Cherokee to a guy who had a Wrangler because he couldn't get two carseats in it when he had his kids on weekends.

My old boss had a Jetta TDI diesel and she liked it decently well but said that the mileage wasn't all that it was cracked up to be and the ever increasing cost of diesel and not having wide availability of getting diesel made it more costly and inconvenient.

I have a Chevy Impala and love it as it does great on the highway, although it has a bit to be desired for puttering around. So far it's been pretty maintenance free. Most of my friends that have 4wd cars have Subies or Honda CRVs.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    I got to know a state rep a few years back and after he was elected he purchased a Jetta TDI for his commute between him home and the capitol. It was approximately 50 miles each way and he had to do it at least 4 days a week during session. He loved the car. He only had to fill up once a week, the handling was good and it was not a bad looking car. His district also included many mining communities and he said it had plenty of power to drive through the mountains. He said the toughest part was the cost of getting gas...not the cost to fill the tank but when he would see that diesel was 20-40 cents higher and that went away after a few months when the total cost much less than his Tahoe. He has over 120k on the car and still loves it. I never asked him if he has driven snow.
    Please don't tell me this was during your Michigan years!! That would be sacrilegious, like having Quaker instead of Post or Kelloggs for breakfast!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Please don't tell me this was during your Michigan years!! That would be sacrilegious, like having Quaker instead of Post or Kelloggs for breakfast!
    No, this state rep is in Arizona...although Jetta's are made in Mexico which would probably get him in trouble with his caucus if they found out.

When I was in Michigan the state rep I helped out would not let me drive my Nissan when we went canvassing. I had to drive my Oldsmobile or ride with some who had a American made car.

I have always wondered if I was back in Michigan would it be okay to drive my Buick since it was built in Canada when helping out on a campaign.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I agree...

Another option that I have been kicking around is a diesel VW TDI jetta. I test drove one the other day and I like the way it handled, it sounds like it gets great gas millage, and it is something that can run on bio diesel (if I can find it).

Does anyone have any information on these? Personal reviews or opinions are welcomed!

Only limitation with any vehicle is it needs to be black and have at least 5 lug nuts per wheel. (personal requirement) Otherwise I am open to any vehicle that I can legally drive in the US.... that is not ugly as sin.
    My dad has a Jetta diesel with 245,000 miles. Has only done routine maintenance and replaced wear parts like the water pump, starter, etc. on the engine. He rebuilt the transmission at 175,000, which was the only major repair the vehicle has needed.

For AWD, if you can wait a year... the 2013 Ford Fusion looks like an Aston Martin.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Oct 2009
    However, I know nothing about jeeps other than people who have them, seem to like them. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    They're a great toy, but a mediocre daily driver. I built a jeep with my dad as a kid, and while I love driving it off road, it just seems out of place on any highway. However, Jeep has made some considerable improvements to the 2012 Wrangler (beyond what the "JK" generation offers), though I haven't driven that jeep myself.

Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    IT types go for Impreza WRXs. True story.
    Some younger planners too, or so I've been told
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    No, this state rep is in Arizona...although Jetta's are made in Mexico which would probably get him in trouble with his caucus if they found out.

When I was in Michigan the state rep I helped out would not let me drive my Nissan when we went canvassing. I had to drive my Oldsmobile or ride with some who had a American made car.

I have always wondered if I was back in Michigan would it be okay to drive my Buick since it was built in Canada when helping out on a campaign.
    Where I work we have Fords. They are all made in Mexico! What make it more odd is one arm of our body is a non-profit that includes among its membership the UAW and Teamsters! Next year the production will be moving to the region where it will be built in the factory that preiously was run by Mazda where they made the M-6 and Ford Mustang. Go figure.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    For AWD, if you can wait a year... the 2013 Ford Fusion looks like an Aston Martin.
    WOW, you are not kidding, that is freaking crazy. Now I wonder if it will handle like an Aston Martin... even if it did, I doubt it would run like a DBS.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2004
    WOW, you are not kidding, that is freaking crazy. Now I wonder if it will handle like an Aston Martin... even if it did, I doubt it would run like a DBS.
    The turning circle on my ten year old Sable is smaller than that on my Dad's Fusion. While it will stick to the road well, don't expect to drive it like James Bond!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    . While it will stick to the road well, don't expect to drive it like James Bond!

It sure would be fun to try, right?

Ford used to own Aston Martin, but sold it a couple years ago. The Focus is getting a new front end like the Fusion (and the Taurus). I spoke with a Ford dealer last month and we both said there might be deep discounts on 2012 Fusions still sitting onthe lot when the 2013s come in.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Ironically, I have now been watching to see what kind of cars I see the most of on the freeways, I am surprised with the number of Jeeps out there. It is still only a minor fraction.

This morning the most popular, Honda Civic.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

potential purchase for wife

Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't consider a 2005 Forester with 88k miles on it?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't consider a 2005 Forester with 88k miles on it?
    Because we are selling a 2005 Outback with less than 60,000 miles on it.

I drove a rented Fusion for a couple of months and found that it was one of the best cars I have driven. It was quick and comfortable and responsive and fun, especially with the leather seating and sunroof. It was also a flex fuel vehicle so I could tank up on much cheaper E85. The fuel economy was at least as good as my Outback, and mostly better. The downside is that there would be less room for two of us and the dogs to fit inside with all of our stuff on cross-country trips.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Interesting fact i just learned: we all know how there's a shortage of used cars in the US, driving the prices up to record levels and in some cases causing cars to appreciate in value. However, the price falls off dramatically with 2003 and earlier models. Why? A lot of banks and credit unions won't finance cars that are more than eight years old, so they're priced more with cash buyers in mind.

Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    If it has the 2.5i engine, it may still be prone to the head gasket issues that earlier Subies with the same engine faced. Get service records, and find out if, when the coolant was changed, Subaru Coolant Conditioner was used. If it was, and the gaskets go before 100K, Subaru of America may cover the cost. If not, it'll be a repair that will set you back $1,200 to $2,000, if you get the timing belt and water pump changed at the same time.

If you do get the car, put away a little bit on the side for the head gasket work, should it come up. If it does, your Forester will be good for another 100K miles, if not more.

Every model of every car has its Achilles heel. With Subies, thanks to the design of the boxer engine, and the way coolant will accumulate at the head even when the engine is off, it's head gaskets Otherwise, it'll be a very reliable ride.

Ironically, I have now been watching to see what kind of cars I see the most of on the freeways, I am surprised with the number of Jeeps out there. It is still only a minor fraction.
    I haven't really thought much about what the most commonly seen car here is. Maybe I'll keep an eye out and report back to you.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Adding to Dan's comments, the Subaru should have the timing belt replaced at 90,000 miles. This will run $1000 to $1500. The Subaru we are keeping, which I purchased new in 2004, has 198,000 miles on it. I have had to replace the timing belt and head gasket, as well as radiator, and drive shaft. The U joint failed and it is designed as part of the drive shaft, requiring replacement of the whole assembly. Otherwise, the maintenance has been routine. By contrast I had a Pontiac with a cracked engine block at 35,000 miles, a Pontiac with a failed head gasket at 85,000 miles, and a Ford with transmission problems at 90,000 miles.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Toyota is a minor player in Detroit. Even if you throw out all of the domestics it still trails behind others such as Honda, Mercedes, Kia/Hyundai, and Mazda. Heck I am willing to bet I see more Nissans and Subarus than Toyotas on a typical day.

I had always wondered how they could have sold so many cars in the States. Then my sis moved to California and I visited her in her sub. I would say a good 50 percent of the cars were either Toyota, Laxus or Scion.

Registered
    Feb 2005

I had always wondered how they could have sold so many cars in the States. Then my sis moved to California and I visited her in her sub. I would say a good 50 percent of the cars were either Toyota, Laxus or Scion.
    Yep. I currently own a super boring gray/tan Camry, and I have had to put a couple of decorations on it because the first year I owned mine, I tried to open other people’s super boring gray/tan Camrys three times.

Sorry to get off topic here, now back to car recommendations…

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    What ever make and model you get, get one with lots and lots of chrome.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    What ever make and model you get, get one with lots and lots of chrome.
    and whitewalls, curb feelers, and spinner wheels! Oh and a vynil top!

Registered
    Nov 2006
    You might consider a Subaru Forester. They are tough, reliable, safe AWD SUVs. They can go off-road, plow through snow, and will get you out of places you probably shouldn't have gone in the first place (I speak from personal experience here!). They're built on a car chassis, so they are more comfortable for commuting than Jeeps and other 4WD vehicles built for off-roading. As SUVs go, they can carry four passengers plus stuff inside, have fold down backseats, and are fairly economical (2012s are rated 27/21 mpg). They last forever and hold their resale value amazingly well.

I have used and abused my Forester since 2008, and I will be purchasing my next one this month, not because there's anything wrong with it, but just because I want a moonroof and heated seats.
    All right. I got my new Subi Forester. This is a big departure for me: it's red. For the first time in 23 years, I don't have a black car! Not that I'm a creature of habit or anything!
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Aug 2001
    All right. I got my new Subi Forester. This is a big departure for me: it's red. For the first time in 23 years, I don't have a black car! Not that I'm a creature of habit or anything!
    And our Subaru Outback was black.... Would have been a good fit, but it is sold now....

What year is the Forester? The latest model has a huge sunroof that beckons to me. In this model the Forester is about the same size as my '04 Outback, which also appeals to me.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast