Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Oh look, it's Mrs. Partridge in The Music Man

Registered
    Feb 2004

Oh look, it's Mrs. Partridge in The Music Man

I'm sure many here are guilty of this (I know I am) where you'll identify an actor by some other role you recognize him/her from. e.g. I was watching Fringe and referred to the actor playing the character Walter Bishop as "Oh look, it's Denethor!"

Have you ever done this?
    Moderator note:
    Split from RTDNTOTO8
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I'm sure many here are guilty of this (I know I am) where you'll identify an actor by some other role you recognize him/her from. e.g. I was watching Fringe and referred to the actor playing the character Walter Bishop as "Oh look, it's Denethor!"
    We do that all the time. I tease Hubby because it seems like everything we watch has an actor that he points out is from The Wire. The most recent interesting one I figured out is that Warren from There's Something About Mary is actually Dan from Deadwood.
    Last edited by dandy_warhol; 25 Mar 2013 at 10:56 AM.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    One of the big challenges in recognizing actors from different roles comes when my son and I are watching one of the Star Trek franchise episodes or we are watching another show or movie and we see a Star Trek actor in a different role. The "actor" is often wearing an alien prosthesis or worse a Borg. Or is not wearing the familiar hardware.

"Oh that is "Red" from "The '70s Show." Or "That's Worf."
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Adam Cartwright (Pernell Roberts) from Bonanza was Trapper John MD, even though he wasn't Trapper John (Wayne Rogers) in M*A*S*H the t.v. show, or Elliot Gould, Trapper in the movie. James Brolin was always Dr Welby's sidekick even when he was in "Hotel" and married Barbra Streisand. Buddy Ebsen surmounted his Jed Clampett role to become Barnaby Jones.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    The tall funny guy from Soap was on a Gunsmoke rerun that I just watched.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Sarah Chalke from Scrubs - and is now doing a new show - was the second "Becky" from Rosanne.
    Sarah Gilbert from Rosanne made several appearances as one of Leonard's girlfriends on Big Bang
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    The actor/writer/director of "Lucky Louie" now has a show called "Louie." But I can't remember his first name.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    The tall funny guy from Soap was on a Gunsmoke rerun that I just watched.
    Richard Mulligan. He was also the dad on the Golden Girls spin off Empty Nest.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Tony Shaloub is my favorite. What wasn't he in before he was Monk? He was in IQ with Meg Ryan, bit part in Men in Black, he was hilarious in Galaxyquest...and everywhere we see him my kids squawk: "It's MR. MONK!!! What's he DOING?!?!!!" Well kids, he's an actor. He's not really Adrian Monk.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2002
    Mrs. Me brought home The Hobbit DVD. We were watching it. About an hour and half into it, I said that I kept thinking that Young Bilbo looked familiar. Yup, he played Watson on that modern BBC Sherlock Holmes show that she loves so much.

Also, while I'm thinking about it, the Old Bilbo looked familir too. Wasn't he in a movie with Denethor?
    The cookies are worth the drive

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Some more to think about courtesy of buzzfeed: http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/ac...at-other-thing

For some of the actors there are other roles that I think are more interesting but I didn't write it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Where do you get your music from?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 20 Aug 2011, 10:43 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Aug 2004, 12:46 PM
  3. Music?
    Perry's Cantina (archive)
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 21 Oct 2002, 12:38 PM