Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The 2012 Hurricane Season thread

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    We are just right of the current bull's eye. We're hoping Isaac shifts to the left as some models are forecasting. This morning, we cut back a bunch of tree branches brushing against the house and hauled in some loose items. A few more things to bring in tomorrow morning--after brunch. Some items will get tossed into the pool. Ironically, the weather was nice enough to sit by the pool this afternoon and the same is forecast for tomorrow. The calm before the storm.

In any case, our emergency manager has announced the EOC is likely going to Level 1 Tuesday morning.

I might need more wine.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    We are just right of the current bull's eye. We're hoping Isaac shifts to the left as some models are forecasting. This morning, we cut back a bunch of tree branches brushing against the house and hauled in some loose items. A few more things to bring in tomorrow morning--after brunch. Some items will get tossed into the pool. Ironically, the weather was nice enough to sit by the pool this afternoon and the same is forecast for tomorrow. The calm before the storm.

In any case, our emergency manager has announced the EOC is likely going to Level 1 Tuesday morning.

I might need more wine.
    Stay safe! I hope it fizzles before it makes landfall.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The thought of RJ, the kid, and me trapped together in this house for several days, likely with no cable or internet, probably no land line and possibly no central water, power off the generator for 2-3 days then that's gone. Yikes.

I hope the library's open on Monday. I'm gonna need more reading material...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    The thought of RJ, the kid, and me trapped together in this house for several days, likely with no cable or internet, probably no land line and possibly no central water, power off the generator for 2-3 days then that's gone. Yikes.

I hope the library's open on Monday. I'm gonna need more reading material...
    And more wine and chocolate!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    And more wine and chocolate!
    Dear god, I forgot chocolate! I will have to make do with Cocoa Crispies.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Dear god, I forgot chocolate! I will have to make do with Cocoa Crispies.
    I just shuddered at the thought of eating Coca Crispies with wine.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Stock up on tweekies. They are the one food that will last for ever and have the sugar to keep you from going insane and pouring all the wine into the pool!

On a more serious note... Stay safe. Homes, pools, and stuff can be replaced.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The center of the cone of uncertainty (which we are still in), shifted to the west this morning taking aim on Mobile Bay. Sorry, Alabama. The forecast confidence is low on the eventual landfall so we continue our precautions because Isaac is BIG.

Our storm preparations will be complete later this morning.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    I just shuddered at the thought of eating Coca Crispies with wine.
    I could never do that to a good wine. Maybe something from Michigan, though.

Personally, I was hoping that the gods would take out their wrath on the Republicans in Tampa. While I am glad it will likely miss our panhandle Cyburbians, the folks on the Alabama coast have been hit pretty hard in recent years by Katrina and then the oil spill.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Our board is holding a special session this afternoon at 4:30. I anticipate they will declare a state of emergency. Our EOC activates to Level 1 at 7 AM tomorrow. Lots of rain and flooding in the forecast. We are in a hurricane watch area.

Sorry, Gulf Shores MS.

And thanks for your concerns, folks. Appreciated.

Where is Jim Cantore?

EDIT: Hot damn!! The Weather Channel just report that Cantore is going to New Orleans. Sorry, New Orleans.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 26 Aug 2012 at 5:04 PM. Reason: Cantore update

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Personally, I was hoping that the gods would take out their wrath on the Republicans in Tampa. .
    A guy at work this morning said that all the hot air republicans blew the storm away from Tampa...I had to smile
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    EDIT: Hot damn!! The Weather Channel just report that Cantore is going to New Orleans. Sorry, New Orleans.
    Ugh- for real? Have they even repaired the levees from Katrina yet?

Stay safe RJ and everyone else down there.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    A guy at work this morning said that all the hot air republicans blew the storm away from Tampa...I had to smile
    With all the hot air blowing from both parties, nothing should reach shore until after November 6th.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    With all the hot air blowing from both parties, nothing should reach shore until after November 6th.
    True that...and we'll have our fun with the DNC in Charlotte later on.

Eyewitness reports from Issac:
    Ft. Lauderdale (brother lives there). Lots of rain and some wind, never lost power which was a total surprise.
    St. Petersburg (mom). Bands of rain came through but nothing too extreme. Going to check beach Tuesday.

Be safe & keep an eye out LA, MS, AL (and the oil rigs).
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We're still under a tropical storm warning but with the shift of the storm to the west, winds are not reaching the speeds originally expected.

Around mid-day today, they announced our offices will be closed tomorrow. With the changing forecast, I think they pulled the trigger too soon. I'll only be called in if we need to conduct damage assessment.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    My brother e-mailed me. He lives in Baton Rouge. He said he expects if they get hit that power could be off for as much as a week. He also said he called my mom, who lives north of New Orleans and they are planning to stay put for the storm and have enough supplies and medication to ride out the storm and its aftermath.

Hurricane Katrina dropped a couple trees on her house and after the storm she had more trees cleared out, as well. She should be okay, I guess. She lives in a subdivision with buried utilities and good streets that don't flood. Her lot is on some of the highest ground around. I have no idea how many hurricanes and tropical storms she's seen in her 85 years.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Should be interesting to watch Isaac's arrival and trek inland on the Wind Map.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    My brother e-mailed me. He lives in Baton Rouge. He said he expects if they get hit that power could be off for as much as a week. He also said he called my mom, who lives north of New Orleans and they are planning to stay put for the storm and have enough supplies and medication to ride out the storm and its aftermath.

Hurricane Katrina dropped a couple trees on her house and after the storm she had more trees cleared out, as well. She should be okay, I guess. She lives in a subdivision with buried utilities and good streets that don't flood. Her lot is on some of the highest ground around. I have no idea how many hurricanes and tropical storms she's seen in her 85 years.
    We evacuated to Baton Rouge, knowing that power loss up here would be a possiblity. We just didn't want to take any chances with flooding back home, though a good amount of people we know decided to stay home and shelter-in-place.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella View post
    We evacuated to Baton Rouge, knowing that power loss up here would be a possiblity. We just didn't want to take any chances with flooding back home, though a good amount of people we know decided to stay home and shelter-in-place.
    You and BEK stay safe...all the best.

ZG and I went out to the beach this morning. Mostly sunny skies, moderate wind, and storm surge pushing waves up to the dune line with minor flooding in a major lagoon. Very little rain.

Based on the last forecast track, you folks in the mid-west are in for an interesting period through Labor Day weekend.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Based on the last forecast track, you folks in the mid-west are in for an interesting period through Labor Day weekend.
    That's ok we could use some rain.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Mar 2005
    We were watching the Weather Channel this morning while getting ready. My daughter sees Jim Cantore staning on Canal Street in NOLA getting peltted by rain and wind and said "Why doesn't he get inside? Doesn't he know its dangerous outside?"

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I'm amazed how Isaac has stalled out the second it hit the coastline. This storm will not be remembered for its winds but the feet of rain that will no doubt cause many problems for the low lying Mississippi Delta.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Through Wednesday, our area got less than a tenth of an inch of rain from Isaac, a far cry from the possible 18 inches in forecasts over the weekend..

Today, however, we are under one of Isaac's outer bands, with sporadic heavy rain, lightning, and tornado watches and warnings.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    We were watching the Weather Channel this morning while getting ready. My daughter sees Jim Cantore staning on Canal Street in NOLA getting peltted by rain and wind and said "Why doesn't he get inside? Doesn't he know its dangerous outside?"
    We saw him and Al Roker holding on to each other on Canal Street in 80 mile an hour winds and getting pelted by rain. Our comment was roughly the same as your daughter's.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Yikes, here comes Hurricane Sandy up the east coast:
    http://www.weather.com/news/weather-...storm-20121025

Thing looks like it could be a monster.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 28 Feb 2012, 4:21 PM
  2. 2011-2012 Season
    Fantasy Football