Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Who knows that you are looking? The reference thread.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Who knows that you are looking? The reference thread.

A guy that I met a few weeks back works for a competing private firm. It is his first job out of grad school and he applied for a position in another state in the public sector.

However, he casked one of his main clients to be a reference for him. To my knowledge, this client has only really had contact with him, but I thought it was kind of interesting. I know that clients are often willing to be references for the firm to find other clients but this is the first time that I heard of someone trying to use them as a personal reference.

My first thought was what if his existing employer found out that he is looking? Then my second thought was how will this change the dynamics of his relationship with his client? Personally, I thought it was a bit of a risky move... even more so if he doesn't get the job. If he was working for me, we would sit down and I would be bothered that he did not come talk to me first, but then I would do what I could to help him find a new job someplace else. I would not want someone working for me that did not want to be there. I wouldn't fire him, but I would let him know that his division to open the door is an indication that he might not be a good fit.
    You get what you give.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    This is a tough one. It's his first planning job. He has presumably not made that many reference-potential contacts. Other than his supervisors and coworkers who else is around? We in the public sector have clients: the boards we work with; the nonprofits we help obtain grants; the agencies we advise. I never hesitated including them as potential references. I look forward to comments from other consultants.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Retired Reference
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 05 Dec 2012, 7:45 PM
  2. Thank you gift: letters of reference
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 17 Mar 2007, 4:23 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 23 Jul 2006, 10:39 AM