Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Seeking interships and a question

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2013

Seeking interships and a question

Is it considered appropriate to inquire about the potential for an internship from firms and planning agencies that are not actively seeking one?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I'd say yes. Sometimes companies don't know they want to take advatange and under pay an intern until you give them the idea. It's good for you and them.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

When I was first out of grad school I sent out emails with my resume and a cover letter inquiring about internships with any planning firm I could find even if they did not list anything. I got maybe 10 responses, some boiler plate "keep resume on file", and a few nice emails saying not at the current time but wishing me luck and such. About 6 months after I had sent out the emails and struck out, I was contacted by one of the companies I reached out to asking if I was interested in an internship with them. So while nothing came of it at first, it did get me an opportunity eventually.

I turned down the position because I had employment at the time, but the way I looked at it was nothing ventured nothing gained. Create a strong resume and a cover letter tailored to each company and maybe something comes of it. What is the worst that can happen?

Cheers.

Registered
    Apr 2013
    Totally. One of the towns I serve had an intern who cold-called, and they found him funding through the local university extension office. Who doesn't want an intern?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Newbie seeking knowledge
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 09 Aug 2011, 11:37 AM
  2. When to remove interships from resume
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 29 Jul 2011, 7:40 PM
  3. Desperately Seeking for Help
    Introduce Yourself