Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Verification of AICP certification

Verification of AICP certification

We have a gentleman who is seeking employment and says that he recd his AICP cert last November (11/2011) - he cannot at present present any documentation proving this claim. I am looking for information on how to confirm his status.....as was under the guise that cert's had recd an Ethics card/number of some sort with their completed certification. Many Thanks -

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by sherri View post
    We have a gentleman who is seeking employment and says that he recd his AICP cert last November (11/2011) - he cannot at present present any documentation proving this claim. I am looking for information on how to confirm his status.....as was under the guise that cert's had recd an Ethics card/number of some sort with their completed certification. Many Thanks -
    The AICP is part of the American Planning Association. The APA/AICP website is here. I would suggest contacting them for help confirming the AICP status.

AICP Planners do not receive a card. We receive a certificate with a number and a nice shiny pin!

Good luck!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    AICP Planners do not receive a card. We receive a certificate with a number and a nice shiny pin!

Good luck!
    Hmmm - I remember the big box with the certificate in it. I never wore the pin - I wonder if I still have it . . . somewhere . . . in a box . . . or if I threw it out . . . at some point in the past.

Oh, and yes, confirm the AICP status through APA/AICP - and demand his AICP number.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Considering the usual speed and efficiency with which APA/AICP sends out the information, it is possible that the person has not received their certificate. I seem to recall it was months after the test that I finally received mine.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    He shouldn't be using the AICP credentials until (1) he passes the exam AND has (2) paid all dues. If you want proof that he passed the exam he should have kept a form from the testing center with an embossed seal stating he passed. I would contact your state APA Professional Development Officer (PDO) as he/she will keep an active list of all certified members in their chapter,including newly certified AICPs. If you find out he ISN'T certified and is claiming false credentials that is an ethics violation and you should notify AICP immediately.

Hope this helps-
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Oh APA... how you suck at life... Can you please explain to me why the searchable APA membership directory doesn't include AICP status?

Probably the fastest method is to contact your state chapter's PDO or perhaps the chapter secretary. Both of them should have access to the complete roster for your chapter along with their AICP status.

Typically chapter PDOs get a list of newly-minted AICPs from national so that we can welcome & congratulate them. Not sure national is still doing that.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2011
    I finally opened that big black box yesterday, the one that showed up in March after I passed the November 2011 exam and paid the dues for being a newly minted AICP member. To my surprise, the certificate had a different number from my APA membership number. I hope APA has some kind of system that tracks both numbers, hopefully if one provides either number, our AICP status can be verified with APA.

I did find the shiny square gold pin. Very likely to misplace it. We should start a thread for suggestions on where to keep the thing.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Reefe View post
    I finally opened that big black box yesterday, the one that showed up in March after I passed the November 2011 exam and paid the dues for being a newly minted AICP member. To my surprise, the certificate had a different number from my APA membership number. I hope APA has some kind of system that tracks both numbers, hopefully if one provides either number, our AICP status can be verified with APA.

I did find the shiny square gold pin. Very likely to misplace it. We should start a thread for suggestions on where to keep the thing.
    Your AICP certificate # is different than your member number. Always has been. APA's # is for tracking all information associated with your membership. AICP's # is the number of the certificate granted to you by passing the exam and paying your dues.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Oh APA... how you suck at life... Can you please explain to me why the searchable APA membership directory doesn't include AICP status?

Probably the fastest method is to contact your state chapter's PDO or perhaps the chapter secretary. Both of them should have access to the complete roster for your chapter along with their AICP status.

Typically chapter PDOs get a list of newly-minted AICPs from national so that we can welcome & congratulate them. Not sure national is still doing that.
    That's a great idea, would add a level of accountability in the profession. Write to them.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Aug 2007
    I third this idea. As a newly passed soon to be AICP I would like some sort of accountablity. You can search the member database, why can't it denote AICP status?!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    I third this idea. As a newly passed soon to be AICP I would like some sort of accountablity. You can search the member database, why can't it denote AICP status?!
    I've been able to search by AICP status...you have to be logged in to the site and be a current AICP member however to be able to activate this part of the search.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    AICP status visibility is limited partly for liability reasons. Would you like some random person (planner or not) to file a formal ethics complaint against you?
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    I've been able to search by AICP status...you have to be logged in to the site and be a current AICP member however to be able to activate this part of the search.
    Sorry... just found that option. Kind of weird that it is done as a separate link and search form--figured it would automatically appear as a search option for me in the general membership search when I logged in since it knows I'm AICP. Meh, at least it is there, although it doesn't list your certificate number (would be helpful).

https://www.planning.org/members/dir...ctory_form.htm

I'll recant on APA sucking at life just this one time.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    AICP status visibility is limited partly for liability reasons. Would you like some random person (planner or not) to file a formal ethics complaint against you?
    A ltitle OT, but I used to work with a woman who used AICP (and PP for you NJ planners) after her name. He story is that she got a letter she passed, then got a letter that they messed up and didn't pass (probably late 90's anyone else recall this issue?). She stands by the point that she passed and "has a letter" but never paid dues or has the certificate to show. I verified through AICP she doesn't have the credentials, but working with her at the time, but this is where the AICP can't do much to planners who aren't' a member. I was told since she isn't an APA or AICP there isn't much they could do but write a letter. It bugged me then and till this day because she was so adamant that she passed, but clearly didn't.
    @GigCityPlanner

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2013
    I was kind of disturbed to see my home address published in the directory, because I was never notified that it would be published. When I provided it, I did not see any warning that it would be published and viewed by other APA members. I removed it from my APA account information, and it disappeared from the directory. I guess all my communications from APA/AICP can just go through work.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. AICP certification management
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 67
    Last post: 13 Sep 2011, 4:32 PM
  2. AICP verification issue
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 08 Dec 2009, 2:51 PM
  3. Any options besides AICP certification?
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 27 Jun 2008, 3:49 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last post: 02 Jan 2008, 5:21 PM
  5. AICP Certification...
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 Jan 2004, 1:59 PM