My fair city is considering a complete revision to the Unified Development Code next budget year. The code will include the following:
- Review Authority & Procedures
- Zoning (including form-based districts)
- Development Standards (building design, site design, parking, landscaping, etc.) - note that we will have form-based districts
- Environment & Open Space (parks, stormwater mgmt, tree preservation)
- Infrastructure & Public Improvements (engineering issues like road design, water & wastewater, etc.)
- Sign Regulations
- Wireless Communications Facilities
We are looking at two methods:
- Partial consulting on about 1/3 to 1/2 of the work, assuming I can get my additional staff member approved. Consulting assistance would be primarily on form-based elements of the code & development standards.
- Full outsourcing of the project for a turn-key product
We are a city of 8,000, about 6 square miles, mostly new development with lots of vacant land, in a suburban area of a fast-growing metropolitan city. Could anyone help me ballpark the costs for having the development code done entirely by the consultant, or just partially?
Texas examples are particularly helpful, but I'll take anything. If you could include a short description of the city/jurisdiction the code was prepared for, that would also help.