Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: (unfortunate) Changes to the newspaper industry

Registered
    Sep 1999

(unfortunate) Changes to the newspaper industry

A sad day for the newspaper industry: the NOLA Times-Picayune, and 3 associated AL papers, to publish only 3 days a week.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/n...0,494521.story

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO

Our local rag was purchased by another paper a couple years ago and it has gone straight downhill. Limited local news, now everything has a 'regional' focus. They sacked three quarters of the (local) editorial staff but the most unfortunate decision of all was the move to go to publishing three days a week. This has decimated my radio theater group's attendance. They can shout all day about how they publish 7 days a week on their wonderful web site - given that the median age of my audiences is probably around 70, that is not effective advertising!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Do planners have a weird attachment to newspapers? I love them. Get my local paper at home and the local paper for the region I work in at the office every morning...and keep hoping they stay afloat. I know they operate on shoestrings.

The thing I think is interesting is that I definitely trust the news I get from the newspapers' websites a lot more than news you see on other, internet only outlets. At least I know there's a reporter with some standards behind that story. It's better news, whether it's print or digital. Long live the papers.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I really miss the time when daily newspapers where king. I especially miss the Sunday newspapers that took a forklift to get in the house. I was a great way to blow a Sunday afternoon after church and dinner.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Do planners have a weird attachment to newspapers? I love them. Get my local paper at home and the local paper for the region I work in at the office every morning...and keep hoping they stay afloat. I know they operate on shoestrings.

The thing I think is interesting is that I definitely trust the news I get from the newspapers' websites a lot more than news you see on other, internet only outlets. At least I know there's a reporter with some standards behind that story. It's better news, whether it's print or digital. Long live the papers.
    I've always loved newspapers. But I'm not going to spend my money on an inferior product.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I've always loved newspapers. But I'm not going to spend my money on an inferior product.
    That's my issue. I don't want to pay for a piece of crud. Half our paper is taken from USA Today. If I wanted to read their articles wouldn't I just purchase USA Today??

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    That's my issue. I don't want to pay for a piece of crud. Half our paper is taken from USA Today. If I wanted to read their articles wouldn't I just purchase USA Today??
    I would have guessed in the land of lakes and NY newspapers would be great!?!? There are two possibilities:

1) Salt Lake has extraordinarily good newspaper reporting with a fantastic mix of national, regional and local news.....and;

2) I don't know how crappy what I'm reading really is because it's all I've ever known.......

I am suddenly depressed about my subscriptions.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2006
    What are bird owners doing these days? You can't line your birdcage with your old PC or Mac. Maybe when tablets get cheap enough...
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    What are bird owners doing these days? You can't line your birdcage with your old PC or Mac. Maybe when tablets get cheap enough...
    Lately I think they line them with statements from their 401k accounts.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    25 years ago I was willed about $20,000 of a newpaper stock @ about $40/share. I was told it will continue to grow nicely, pay a dividend, and if I held it long enough, yield a hefty profit that will help make retirement a lot more comfortable.

After a ten year slide I sold the stock in 1996 for $13/share and currently, it is going for about a $0.25 a share -

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Having grown up in the New Orleans area I remember the slow slide of newspapering in the city. Back in the 70s the Times-Picayune had a morning and an afternoon edition. The afternoon paper - The States Item - was a great paper. It was distinguishable from the Picayune by the front section which was printed on green paper. The States Item went under in 1980.

In the 70s and early 80s there was also an alternative paper - The Figaro. It was a fun weekly, a hodgepodge of top-notch investigative reporting, movie and restuarant reviews, current local events, and a liberal (well, liberal for Louisiana) editorial stance. It raised hell and poked the stodgy Times Picayune for its shortcomings and lack of courage. You would read The Figaro from front to back, because the dessert of the read was always the classified section, which had raunchy personal ads. Granted New Orleans is known for getting its freak on, but some of the folks who placed the ads were maybe too kinky for New Orleans. When it folded in 1981, I was truly sad. I looked forward to reading it every week. My dad would pick me up a copy on his way home from work. He was a stodgy old-school lawyer and didn't approve of the paper, but he still picked one up for me.

The Picayune is a decent paper, nothing special, until Hurricane Katrina when it rose from the ashes and won a Pulitzer prise for reporting under the worst possible conditions.

We lived north of Lake Ponchatrain in the 70s onward and when we would go downtown, we would always pass the Times Picayune Building on the way in. It is an impressive looking building.

Sad that it is diminished. Print is getting killed by the Internet.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    ...The Picayune is a decent paper, nothing special, until Hurricane Katrina when it rose from the ashes and won a Pulitzer prise for reporting under the worst possible conditions....
    Guess how the reporter who discovered the levee breach happened to be traveling. Go ahead, take a wild guess.

In my bookcase is my mama's copy of the T-P Cookbook.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post

Print is getting killed by the Internet.
    At what point does this become an equity issue? Are those who can afford a computer/tablet and the internet the only ones who are worthy of receiving daily news?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Well broadcast television news is still free assuming you have a TV and the appropriate antenna.

Honestly I'm not sure what you do about the equity situation. Sure, there are people who don't have access to the internet (mainly the poor and elderly) but what do you do when the traditional print business model is no longer viable? I just don't see the government subsidizing it or forcing it as a public service to be the answer. I agree people need to stay informed but there's only so much that can be done do to promote that.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. An unfortunate indicator for Buffalo
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 13 Mar 2013, 2:09 PM
  2. The Death of the Newspaper Industry?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 58
    Last post: 22 Jun 2011, 3:00 PM
  3. Unfortunate business names
    Friday Afternoon Club