Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Bookmobile

Registered
    Jul 2006

Bookmobile

I grew up in the country but we had regular visits to our rural schools from the town library's bookmobile. That vehicle, which was basically a step van with book shelves, gave us expanded reading choices throughout the year. I think they even came during the summers on a regular schedule. Does anyone else remember that? Is it still done anywhere? If so, have they expanded the content to include electronic media?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    We had a bookmobile come to our subdivision during the summers. I remember the first book I checked out from the bookmobile - a biography of Bat Masterson.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2004
    City of Dallas still has bookmobiles. I've seen one parked behind the central library, rotating stock and such. It's a large bus like a Greyhound on the outside, painted and such for city use and information, but the inside in airconditioned, with shelves and a couple of seats.
    I don't know who uses it - shut ins, maybe? I do wonder if electronic media means the eventual end of bookmobiles.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I remember the first book I checked out from the bookmobile - a biography of Bat Masterson.
    Why does that fact not surprise me?

I haven't seen the Bookmobile in ages, but I loved when it came around. I do not believe that electronic media will be the end of books. Electronic data has not replaced mylar, and for good reason. If I want something to be permanent - and I mean truly permanent - electronica is not where it goes.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I know we used to have bookmobiles back in the good old days but they did not come to my hood often. My parents sited the family walking distance to a branch of the DPL.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I grew up in the country and no bookmobile came to our street. We did however make frequent trips to the library year-round. We probably would have even if the bookmobile came around because my mom enjoyed going to the library so much (she still goes once or twice a week). I actually just saw a bookmobile parked somewhere within the last few weeks here in Metro Detroit but cannot remember where I was when I saw it.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Anyone else ever have the Swimmobile come to your block as a kid?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Speaking of the Bookmobile, I saw an article yesterday in our local paper about a new "Hi-tech" bookmobile making the rounds: Hi-tech bookmobile plans a stop in Bloomfield Township
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread