Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planner job changes in the news

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Planner job changes in the news

Huntsville AL job gets a 100 applicants
    Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle hopes to have urban planner in place by September

After the application deadline closes June 1, a 16-member search committee headed by Director of Urban Development Shane Davis will begin winnowing the field to three finalists who will be invited to interview with Mayor Tommy Battle.
    Typical to be interview by the Mayor ?

==============================================================================================================

Natchez city planner, assistant city planner leaving their jobs

leaving the leadership of the planning department in limbo until new city administration takes office.
    Would you step into such situation ?
    Last edited by JNA; 23 May 2012 at 10:14 PM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post

Typical to be interview by the Mayor ?
    Only 100 is a clue. But look at what is on the table.

==============================================================================================================

Would you step into such situation ?
    Maybe if it wasn't in the south. But the history doesn't look good.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    That is consultant work for in house staff. Would be a pretty interesting job in Huntsville. I don't know that I would feel comfortable though in a position that was based on the Master Plan. In two years when the work is complete, do you still have a job?

At that pay I wouldn't expect to be around long...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

HR happenings

Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle hopes to have urban planner in place by September

Typical to be interview[ed] by the Mayor ?
    Looks like the standard base level of facts so typical of journalism these days. (My local paper uses the same web interface.)

They already have a manager of planning and zoning administration, so it's not like this is the first city planner ever hired by the burg. I'm not going to spend the time to look up where the mayor stands in the hierarchy; guessing it's a strong mayor (no city manager) form.

The linked article states that the planner is retiring, and the asst CP has a new gig. Doesn't seem all that red-flaggy. I've noticed a workplace trend: everyone seems happy and content with their respective positions, then one person makes a change, and all heck breaks loose. When one piece of glass in the Kaliedoscope of Lifetm shifts its location, all the adjacent ones move as well.

With a blank slate, this could be a good opportunity for new folks.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    I've noticed a workplace trend: everyone seems happy and content with their respective positions, then one person makes a change, and all heck breaks loose. When one piece of glass in the Kaliedoscope of Lifetm shifts its location, all the adjacent ones move as well.

So true. I recently received an e-mail from a colleague at another firm, announcing a job change that I did not expect. I'm sure there will be a line of people applying for her position... and then it'll be a Planner Do-Si-Do.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Doesn't seem all that red-flaggy.

IIRC the article mentioned the high turnover in the position.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    More than 100 people from across the country have submitted résumés hoping to be considered for the job...
    "This is a nationwide search - we want the best and the brightest," Davis said at a news conference Monday.
    Gotta love the enthusiasm expressed for a planner.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Feb 2007
    More than 100 people from across the country have submitted résumés hoping to be considered for the job...
    "This is a nationwide search - we want the best and the brightest," Davis said at a news conference Monday.
    Well i didn't apply, so obviously they don't have the best and brightest in their pool now do they
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Two million dollars for a north Huntsville plan? These people need to shop around for better priced consultants. That sum is obscene.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    IIRC the article mentioned the high turnover in the position.
    Just re-read them, and I did not see that in either piece. Add to the Alexandria and Ypsilanti Twp list?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    So true. I recently received an e-mail from a colleague at another firm, announcing a job change that I did not expect. I'm sure there will be a line of people applying for her position... and then it'll be a Planner Do-Si-Do.
    I think I got that same e-mail.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Here in New England we have a lot of communities with The Town Planner, and for whatever reason the local paper usually runs a Q and A/"meet the new planner" segment on the newly hired. After the obligatory inquiries about education/professional background/family life there's always the big picture question, to the effect of: "What do you see as the biggest challenge facing Our Fair Town (translation: how are you going to solve all our problems?)?" I've always thought these interviews to be a little much, but I'm an introverted person to begin with. Has anyone gone through with one after taking a new position?

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Here in New England we have a lot of communities with The Town Planner, and for whatever reason the local paper usually runs a Q and A/"meet the new planner" segment on the newly hired. After the obligatory inquiries about education/professional background/family life there's always the big picture question, to the effect of: "What do you see as the biggest challenge facing Our Fair Town (translation: how are you going to solve all our problems?)?" I've always thought these interviews to be a little much, but I'm an introverted person to begin with. Has anyone gone through with one after taking a new position?
    Done the interviews for each of my last 2 jobs. Actually did a live online chat a couple of weeks ago with a local website where residents cound ask questions (in)directly (through a moderator).

I enjoy the interviews, and see them as another way to get information "out there."
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Good news: Bad news
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Apr 2012, 12:56 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Dec 2010, 4:41 PM
  3. Replies: 29
    Last post: 20 Aug 2010, 2:06 PM
  4. No news is good news??
    Friday Afternoon Club