Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: On death and dying...

Registered
    Aug 2005

On death and dying...

Hubby and I just returned from signing our Wills, Power of Attorney, and Health Care Proxy. The lawyer kept making inappropriate jokes about death. It was awkward. Hubby walked home after the meeting. I told him to be careful crossing the bridge. MUUUUUHAHAHAHAHA!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Oh man, what a great thread idea! I really like the way you said "MUUUUUHAHAHAHAHA!" Could you do that for us again!? Please?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    MU.HA.HA.HA.HA. <-- see what I did there? Not what you expected, was it? I like to mix things up, keep it real. HOLLA!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    There's an old saying "Live every day as if it were your last". I always questioned that. I mean, who wants to spend every day signing wills and listening to everyone around you crying all the time?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    The lawyer kept making inappropriate jokes about death. It was awkward.
    "I bet you're dying to sign these papers!"
    "Did you see what the Heat did to the Pacers? They killed them!"
    "I love Chris Rock, he slays me!"

Okay, cheesey jokes over and out!
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    "I bet you're dying to sign these papers!"
    "Did you see what the Heat did to the Pacers? They killed them!"
    "I love Chris Rock, he slays me!"

Okay, cheesey jokes over and out!
    I must admit, I made a zombie joke so I guess I'm just as guilty.

Helpful tidbit - they suggested that we not keep our Wills in a safe deposit box as one's safe deposit box becomes sealed upon one's death. So it could be difficult to access unless . . .BRAAAAIIIIINNNNNNNSSSSSS.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like Grandpa, not screaming and yelling like the other people in his car...
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm not afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Hubby and I just returned from signing our Wills, Power of Attorney, and Health Care Proxy. The lawyer kept making inappropriate jokes about death. It was awkward. Hubby walked home after the meeting. I told him to be careful crossing the bridge. MUUUUUHAHAHAHAHA!
    Oh, you are TOO GOOD! Do you know how long we've been saying we need to do that?! The unexpected death of my cousin's husband this week reminded me, once again, that we really need to draw up our wills...

EDIT:
    Oops, sorry, I thought this was a serious thread! Carry on...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    When I had an operation in September I prepared a will and had it witnessed. Freaked out my wife, but I felt I had to do it.

My son sometimes will ask if this or that is in the will and who gets it. Mostly he wants to be sure I leave him the fun stuff (boats, guns, DVDs, etc.)
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Oh, you are TOO GOOD! Do you know how long we've been saying we need to do that?! The unexpected death of my cousin's husband this week reminded me, once again, that we really need to draw up our wills...

EDIT:
    Oops, sorry, I thought this was a serious thread! Carry on...
    Semi-serious thread. It took us awhile to actually get it done but we decided [or I did and Hubby went along with it] to use some of our Tax Return $ to pay for it. We live a thrilling life. :p

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Want to hear something outrageous? I have this friend, see. And he's married to a lawyer who specializes in family law (you know, divorces, wills, durable power of attorneys, etc.). Now get this....they don't have a will drafted up yet!! Nope. Even though it would cost nothing more than her getting up off her lazy butt and drafting one. The guy I understand rails on her all the time to do one and she's always saying "yeah yeah I will, but I'm really busy right now". Pretty ridiculous, huh?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    My wife and I keep saying we need to go get ours re-worked now that we have a daughter and a house but we are just too lazy to actually do it... and it will probably take us longer to drive to the lawyer's office than it will to actually go over everything. We have given ourselves a deadline of our daughters 2nd birthday in August to get our wills and living wills revised and make sure all the beneficiaries on all of our accounts are updated.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Want to hear something outrageous? I have this friend, see. And he's married to a lawyer who specializes in family law (you know, divorces, wills, durable power of attorneys, etc.). Now get this....they don't have a will drafted up yet!! Nope. Even though it would cost nothing more than her getting up off her lazy butt and drafting one. The guy I understand rails on her all the time to do one and she's always saying "yeah yeah I will, but I'm really busy right now". Pretty ridiculous, huh?
    Your...uh, I mean his wife doesn't need a will. Thought process: If he dies, wife gets everything that attorney doesn't get. Wife IS attorney, therefore wife gets everything. If she dies, attorney gets everything so what's wrong with that?

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like Grandpa, not screaming and yelling like the other people in his car...
    lol, that joke killed me

My girlfriend is currently assisting a family lawyer. If I recall correctly, he had another lawyer draft up his will. I think his excuse was the same as your friend's excuse...
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    After we had the daughter, my mom hounded us to get a will done. We finally did when she was around 5. Talked to lawyer friend, told him she gets everything, who will be executor and who gets to take care of her. He called a couple days later and said 'come on in and sign your life away.' Fairly painless and strighforward.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    After we had the daughter, my mom hounded us to get a will done. We finally did when she was around 5. Talked to lawyer friend, told him she gets everything, who will be executor and who gets to take care of her. He called a couple days later and said 'come on in and sign your life away.' Fairly painless and strighforward.
    If only it was that simple... We have no kids; I dunno who to give our junk, er, valuable property to. Mainly we want to protect each other in case one of us passes away, but beyond that - ? Give it all to the cats and dog, maybe.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm not afraid to die.
    Not me. Dying scares me to death.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This thread is too grave for me.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    This thread is too grave for me.

Bear
    Too cryptic for me. Must have something caught in my throat, can't stop coffin.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

you mean, I have to leave?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Thust wondering if thith thread hath a deathtination?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2008
    The joking lawyer must only have felt pressure to divert attention from the joke of his certainly overpriced fee.

I don't see anything funny about the topic, unless, to be repetetive, it is the cost of legal service.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I get yakked at on a regular basis to do this. I'm not married, but my sister nags me like she is my wife!

Maybe coming from a family of nags is keeping me from getting married?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    I keep getting solicitations from my insurance agent. 20-something telemarketer, complete with vocal fry, calls to chirp at me about "in case something terrible happens." Sheesh. Everything's paid off.

Although the snowstorm crash that befell Jeffrey Zaslow inspired me to draft something and leave on my computer's desktop.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The Dying Dollar
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 21 Apr 2011, 11:00 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 27 Nov 2009, 1:56 PM
  3. Is amateur radio dying?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7