Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I have this friend, see.....

Registered
    Feb 2004

I have this friend, see.....

I have this friend, see, and he works in a planning office. And I'm told he can hardly wait for the next 75 minutes to fast forward so that this friend can finish transplanting all of his tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, and cucumbers.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Let me guess... does this "friend" also have an affinity for german sausage?

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    German Sausage, eh....

I've got this "friend" who, upon completing this sentence, will turn off his computer and leave the building (together with Elvis. And his German sausage...)
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I doubt my friend would like your tone.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    German Sausage, eh....

I've got this "friend" who, upon completing this sentence, will turn off his computer and leave the building (together with Elvis. And his German sausage...)
    I've got a friend who's concerned about your intentions with Elvis and his German Sausage, but wishes you well anyway.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I doubt my friend would like your tone.
    I wasn't trying to go there, but IIRC correctly this "friend" has posted quite a bit about sausage in a certain webforum..

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Just take some and call me on tuesday.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have this friend see, that thinks his wife should separate her dirty clothes from his. You see, he wants to wash his clothes separately, you know, whites and colored clothes. She washes clothes together regardless of color. Bro wants to wash colors separately. Bro did this before she moved in several years ago. Bro wants to get separate laundry hampers. Bro will wash his clothes on the weekends.

Do you see an issue with my friend?
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    I have this friend see, that thinks his wife should separate her dirty clothes from his. You see, he wants to wash his clothes separately, you know, whites and colored clothes. She washes clothes together regardless of color. Bro wants to wash colors separately. Bro did this before she moved in several years ago. Bro wants to get separate laundry hampers. Bro will wash his clothes on the weekends.

Do you see an issue with my friend?
    Yeah, at some point your friend will wake up and have no clean pants to wear to work. And, light bulb will go on, that those yellow collars are due to sweat and not a bad "laundress". But that's just my opinion.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Soooooo, hypothetically speaking, say you had a 'friend' who worked for a city and say such friend may or may not have been crying in their office after receiving some heartbreaking news not related to work. And say the mayor/boss, who is aware that a lot of heavy sh*t has happened in said friend's life recently, happened to walk in and catch said friend crying in the office. Now let's say the mayor was very nice about the situation and inquired multiple times if said friend was all right and said friend said things were ok. Do you think said friend should tell the mayor that said friend had received sad personal news and the crying was unrelated to work or should said friend just pretend that it didn't happen?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Soooooo, hypothetically speaking, say you had a 'friend' who worked for a city and say such friend may or may not have been crying in their office after receiving some heartbreaking news not related to work. And say the mayor/boss, who is aware that a lot of heavy sh*t has happened in said friend's life recently, happened to walk in and catch said friend crying in the office. Now let's say the mayor was very nice about the situation and inquired multiple times if said friend was all right and said friend said things were ok. Do you think said friend should tell the mayor that said friend had received sad personal news and the crying was unrelated to work or should said friend just pretend that it didn't happen?
    I personally would go the route of pretending it never happened. That's just me though, and I have been accused of being cold and unperson-able in the office. I share almost zero information regarding my personal life with my coworkers and routinely can make it through an entire day without saying more than 6 words out loud.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I would tell your 'friend' to just tell the mayor that some sad personal news had just been brought to the attention of your 'friend' Even mayor/bosses are human and sometimes sharing personal things can strengthens your friend's relationship with the mayor/boss, who obivously cares about your friend.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Maybe it's a guy thing, but I'd be inclined to go with the 'pretend it never happened' route too.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Hypothetically speaking, it would depend on the mayor/boss/supervisor and their level of out of the office interaction. If the mayor/ boss person is a BFF (as the wife explains it) then that is one thing, but if the interaction is limited to work events, then the said friend might want to give the mayor/boss a heads up that the emotional eruption was because of a non-work situation and perhaps said friend might want to ask the mayor boss person if they would not mention the incident to anyone.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2005
    I would prefer that my staff just be honest with me. I'm human too, and I completely understand.

It's one thing if the crying was a common occurence, but every once in awhile, I can accept.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    A quiet explanation, perhaps e-mailed due to the emotionality of the subject, would be in order. And I would explain the nature of the heartbreaking news, seeing as how it's not just a denial in a BZA case.

IIRC your "friend's" office is rife with clueless folk who prance about broadcasting personal triumphs, in uninformed contrast to your "friend's" sad experiences. Perhaps the boss can quietly spread the word and get the crew to be a little more thoughtful.

HTH

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have this friend that called to ask if I thought it was OK for a guy to wear a arctic-camo pattern, scrunch butt, string bikini swim suit. I told him it shouldn't be an issue but that I would throw the question out to Cyburbia for responses.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I have this friend that called to ask if I thought it was OK for a guy to wear a arctic-camo pattern, scrunch butt, string bikini swim suit. I told him it shouldn't be an issue but that I would throw the question out to Cyburbia for responses.
    What no photo ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Is this a thinly veiled attempt to throw Rumpy under the bus? For shame.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I have this friend who thinks his wife, an avid reader of the Fifty Shades books, is in the process of making a move on his other friend.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    I have this friend who thinks his wife, an avid reader of the Fifty Shades books, is in the process of making a move on his other friend.

I hope not. Not good for friend, other friend, or wife.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Yikes! I think your friend should take advantage of her new-found amorous nature to show her what she has at home. Date her again - send her flowers, make her dinner, etc.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I have this friend who has an MRI scheduled for 11:00 p.m. tonight and this friend was told not to wear any metal for the test. Problem is this friend can NOT get the ring off his finger no matter how hard he reefs at it. Any ideas how my friend can get the ring off by then, short of pulling a Frodo?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I have this friend who has an MRI scheduled for 11:00 p.m. tonight and this friend was told not to wear any metal for the test. Problem is this friend can NOT get the ring off his finger no matter how hard he reefs at it. Any ideas how my friend can get the ring off by then, short of pulling a Frodo?
    Super cold water and dishsoap. The wife has to do this every day when she goes into surgery.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Super cold water and dishsoap. The wife has to do this every day when she goes into surgery.
    Yeah, but won't that shrink the ring as well as the knuckle?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Are you a good friend?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 31 May 2013, 1:11 PM
  2. Friend issues
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 42
    Last post: 27 Aug 2012, 7:36 PM
  3. Media: friend or foe