Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tattoos and generations

Registered
    Feb 2004

Tattoos and generations

Is it a federal law or does each state have their own laws requiring everyone under the age of 30 to have at least one tattoo? I'm curious how they enforce it. In any event, my hat's off to them, because it seems the authorities are doing a superb job with regards to compliance!

[curmudgeon]Back in my day the only people who got tattoos were bikers, convicts, and scary-wierd artistic types. Sure you might get a tattoo of an eagle, globe & anchor on your bicep if you were in the Corps, but no one's babysitter had 'em thats for sure![/curmudgeon]
    Last edited by Maister; 23 May 2012 at 10:02 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Jimmy Buffett called tattoos a "permanent reminder of a temporary feeling."
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I'm under 30 and honestly see no reason for a tattoo. It may be great now but I may not want it in the future.

Was actually talking to a lady who works at the county jail about tattoos the other day. She's got a few interesting stories about tattoos she has seen while processing inmates and whatnot. Like one guy who who had his name, birthday, and social security number tattooed across his back. Or another that was asking a judge for leniency in a jail sentence while having "F--- the Law" tattooed on the back of his head.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    I'm under 30 and honestly see no reason for a tattoo.
    And for the record, I'm not really declaring open season on everyone under 30. Just noting a particular trend. I'm pretty sure my generation (border Boomer/X) has it's own special brand of folly as well.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Is it a federal law or does each state have their own laws requiring everyone under the age of 30 to have at least one tattoo?
    I think I recall reading an article that they are much more prevalent among the current 33-to-40-year-old crowd and that those under 30 are less likely to get them because they see the tattoos as being too much of a herd mentality thing and the "different" thing to do among the younger crowd is to not get them... which is probably the opposite of what the people who are now in their 30s thought when we were getting our tattoos.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Ingrained in my brain are the preconceptions of people with tattoos. I don't care how sweet and innocent a young lady may be, when I see she has a tattoo my initial thought is: "I wonder what gentleman's club she dances at?"

And a guy with a tattoo: "Sailor or ex-con?"

And in my mind I subtract 10 IQ points for every tattoo I see beyond one.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    And a guy with a tattoo: "Sailor or ex-con?"

And in my mind I subtract 10 IQ points for every tattoo I see beyond one.
    This former soldier from the sea would have a negative IQ by them standards... Not that I am finding any fault in your calculations though.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    This former soldier from the sea would have a negative IQ by them standards... Not that I am finding any fault in your calculations though.
    My mid 20s Marine brother-in-law is tatted up beyond belief. But he has to get them in certain spots. If he is wearing a t-shirt and shorts, you wouldn't even know he has them.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    My mid 20s Marine brother-in-law is tatted up beyond belief. But he has to get them in certain spots. If he is wearing a t-shirt and shorts, you wouldn't even know he has them.
    That's how the majority of mine are but just because that was my personal preference when I was getting them. These days, the Corps is much more serious about what you can have and about it not being visible while wearing PT gear. When I was on active duty just about 7 years ago, the only rules were that they couldn't be on your neck, head, or hands and anything that was visible when wearing short sleeves had to be smaller than the size of your open hand (but there were even ways to get around that). I remember around 2003 and 2004 circumventing the rules and getting entire sleeves of tattoos became extremely popular and that's when they started imposing much more strict rules.

FWIW, I actually want to get some more and do a full sleeve on one of my forearms of a scene of robots fighting it out in a artwork style similar to paintings by Wayne Coyne, the lead singer of the Flaming Lips. The only thing stopping me is that I am too much of a cheapskate.

Registered
    May 2005
    Tons of tattoos in my town. Young, old, they’ve all got ’em. I don’t, but that’s just my decision – they don’t bother me on others and if they did, I would be miserable because they’re everywhere. More than anything, I am appalled by how BAD some of the artwork is. Not that I don’t care for the imagery, but that the actual tattooing was poorly done. But there’s plenty of nice work here as well.

I would be curious to know how our tattoo parlors/capita stacks up against other cities. I bet we’re in the top tier. That and piercings.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I can't come up with a tattoo (or a topic even) that I will like the rest of my life. I am not adverse to tattoos I just haven't found something that I want on my body forever.

I think those under 30 are less likely to have a negative opinion about tattoos, which is why they are more willing to get them. Even the doctor and laywer have tattoos, so they can't be THAT bad..... right?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I'm getting this: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Radial-labyrinth.svg

I
    just have to save the required funds and find the appropriately talented artist.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I used to work with a lady (she was in her upper 40s at the time) and she had a tattoo of a bird on her left cleavage. We were talking one time and she explained it used to be a parakeet when it was first done, but due to gravity and age, it was now a macaw parrot with a very long tail feather.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I used to work with a lady (she was in her upper 40s at the time) and she had a tattoo of a bird on her left cleavage. We were talking one time and she explained it used to be a parakeet when it was first done, but due to gravity and age, it was now a macaw parrot with a very long tail feather.
    I recall several years ago there was an SNL skit that showed what happens to 'tramp stamps' over time.
    Can someone provide a youtube link?

Registered
    May 2005
    I heard recently that body mods are now the new tattoos. Because tattoos have beome so mainstream, the younger generations are looking for other ways to stand out and rebel.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    I would be curious to know how our tattoo parlors/capita stacks up against other cities. I bet we’re in the top tier. That and piercings.
    I always figure that military towns probably have among the highest number of tattoo parlors per capita (along with strip clubs and pawn shops) and when this thread first appeared I decided to actually look for the data. Unfortunately, tattoo parlors are lumped into NAICS Code 812199, "Other Personal Care Services" which also includes day spas, tanning salons, massage parlors, Turkish baths (those still exist?), ear piercing studios and other similar services so it is a bit hard to slice out the data specifically for tattoo parlors.

But... I did grab the County Business Patterns data for Onslow County, NC (which includes the city of Jacksonville and the Marine Corps bases of Camp Lejeune and MCAS New River) and Cabarrus County, NC (for comparison) which is across the state and is a part of the Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill MSA. Both counties have just under 170,000 residents. In 2009, Onslow County was reported as having 13 establishments classified as NAICS Code 812199 and 64 folks employed by those establishments while Cabarrus County had only 10 establishments and 48 workers in that field. As a former resident of Onslow County, NC, that estimate actually seems a bit low (12 of those 13 establishments in Onslow County are reported as being in ZIP codes 28540 and 28546 which are the areas directly adjacent to the bases).

For wahday - Santa Fe County is reported as having 4 establishments under that NAICS Code (the number of paid employees is reported solely as between 20-99).

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I recall several years ago there was an SNL skit that showed what happens to 'tramp stamps' over time.
    Can someone provide a youtube link?
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/282834/sat...tattoo-remover
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I've always joked that if I were to get a tattoo, it would be of a comp plan with a wavy bladed knife through it surrounded by the words "Born to Plan".

I'm of Maister generation and there was a certain stigma attached to tattoos. On a personal level, I don't care. A well done, discrete tattoo on an attractive woman can make her even more sexy, but that's just me. On a professional level, if you are dealing with the public, you should have them covered up. It can take away from the professional image which is important.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2011
    I'm 36 with no tatoo. This thread makes me feel old.

Does it count that my girlfriend (who's 3 years older than me) is covered with them? Does that make me younger?

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post

Does it count that my girlfriend (who's 3 years older than me) is covered with them? Does that make me younger?

No. That makes her HOT!!!!

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post

I can't figure out how this thread makes me feel. I don't have any tattoos, nor do I want one. But my significant other, pushing 50, has several tattoos, and he doesn't fit any of the usual stereotypes of people with tattoos. With the exception of one tattoo that he got when he was in the military, each of his tattoos has a special meaning. And they were done by a friend who is an incredible artist.

I'd hate to think that people judge my SO because he has tattoos. He's able to keep them partially covered, but still... what difference does it make?? It's his body.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    There are several very popular tattoo parlors here in the Appleton area and I see such 'work' all the time. I agree, none for me unless to cover up a bad scar. Unlike in some regions, though, the overall quality of the artwork available here appears to be superb.

I also agree on the 'tramp stamps' - I can just imagine the "What were these people THINKING about?!?!?!" thoughts that some of those yet-to-be-born workers at the nursing homes will be having 40-50 and more years from now.

Ditto regarding their tastes in music(?)....

Mike

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    For wahday - Santa Fe County is reported as having 4 establishments under that NAICS Code (the number of paid employees is reported solely as between 20-99).
    I just did a very unscientific study and looked at listings in the online Yellow Pages. 52 places listed in Albuquerque. There are probably more, but that's a good reference point. I'm sure many of them have very few employees as well. The ones I see are pretty small operations.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    No tattoos for me. I have many friends with a wide range of ink and some are wonderful pieces of art. I generally try to avoid things that involve pain so I don't think that I will ever get one but have no issues with other people having tattoos.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We're not really into tattoos. Although we did joke around (I think...) early on about me having an R at the top of one butt cheek and a J on the other, and him doing Z and G. Much better, I think, than having your honey's name prominently tattooed in a visible place. But in reality, we both winced at the thought, so it came to naught. whew.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Urban planning tattoos
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 21 Nov 2012, 5:39 PM
  2. Tattoos? Can I have them?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 01 Jul 2009, 8:29 AM
  3. Replies: 57