Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Input wanted on certificate in real estate development

Registered
    May 2012

Input wanted on certificate in real estate development

If you were seeking professional development in real estate, what might you be looking for?

What are your thoughts on a Certificate in Real Estate Development?

Would such a certificate be valuable as a stand-alone graduate certificate delivered through a Department of Urban and Regional Planning? Other departments?

Could completion of the certificate be an add-on to an MUP/MCRP program? Applied as a concentration, if a student who has completed the certificate then seeks an MUP?MCRP?

What kind of student would be interested? Planners, those interested in becoming developers, others?

Would employers value a Certificate in Real Estate Development? Might they offer tuition reimbursement?

Any other input?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Moved the thread to the Student Lounge, which sees quite a bit of MSRED activity.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

I have a certificate in real estate development and it is completely useless. I don't even put it on my resume. It has no value to employers. If you want to go in to real estate development, go for the MS in Real Estate and join the ULI. Classes with the National Development Council might be of use to a non-profit developer but can be expensive.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Researcher View post
    If you were seeking professional development in real estate, what might you be looking for?

What are your thoughts on a Certificate in Real Estate Development?

Would such a certificate be valuable as a stand-alone graduate certificate delivered through a Department of Urban and Regional Planning? Other departments?

Could completion of the certificate be an add-on to an MUP/MCRP program? Applied as a concentration, if a student who has completed the certificate then seeks an MUP?MCRP?

What kind of student would be interested? Planners, those interested in becoming developers, others?

Would employers value a Certificate in Real Estate Development? Might they offer tuition reimbursement?

Any other input?
    I'm sympathetic to your project/assignment, and you may want to contact U Washington and the Runstad Center and see how they answer your questions. As above, I don't think you can half-*ss it. Personally a series of lectures on a project from start to finish and some support in the econ and land-use classes should do it for planning students to understand project financing. . Srsly. Its not that hard. Unless you get into it down to the sf level and creative finance CNU projects, just do a better job on the detail of a few projeects.

-------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Getting a job in real estate development
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Apr 2012, 3:38 PM
  2. Breaking into real estate development
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 09 Nov 2010, 5:06 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 25 Jun 2010, 11:41 AM