Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ridin' ponies

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    This is my second all-time favorite Maister thread title. My first one is snax
    Off-topic:
    There is a certain artistry in coming up with a good title. It may not be evident to a casual observer, but I have to come up with a thread name every time I split one off. FWIW I'm rather proud of this particular one....

OT
    I think Dan comes closest to a plausible explanation thus far.
    Last edited by Maister; 06 Jun 2012 at 10:57 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    You mean, men, don't you?
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    You didn't really need to ask that, did you? You know, I don't think I've ever heard a woman referred to as being a horse's ass.
    Well, I was thinking primarily of children but yeah, many men seem to fit that stereotype as well.

Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    My wild ass guesses:

1) Ponies are OMG SOOOOOOOO CUTE! (Big eyes, shiny coat, mane and tail that can be groomed, proportions, etc.)

2) There's a certain romance to the idea of horses - white knights and all.

3) Ponies and horses are gentle, graceful, and domesticated in a way that aloof cats and needy dogs aren't.

4) Liking horses involve a level of empathy, which is instilled as a female trait from a very early age.

5) If girls really like ponies, boys of that age won't, which perpetuates a cycle of gender-exclusive interest.
    #1 and #3 say you obviously haven't been around horses alot.

#2 and 4 are very true.

#5 is iffy. Most kids involved with horses get involved because they live in rural/ex-urban areas where they can keep horses, and their parents had/have horses. Almost invariably it's Mom who gets her girls into horses while Dad gets his boys involved with tinkering with trucks, tractors and other mechanical equipment. There are exceptions, but this is a very common pattern.

When both parents are involved with horses, especially in situations where the parents earn their living(s) with horses, the children of both sexes become involved with them.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 04 Apr 2011, 10:34 AM