Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Your ring tone(s)

Registered
    May 2004

Your ring tone(s)

How come some people still have the same old school cell phone ring from the 90's. With all the options for personalizing your ringtone nowadays- why would you keep that annoying old one?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    How come some people still have the same old school cell phone ring from the 90's. With all the options for personalizing your ringtone nowadays- why would you keep that annoying old one?
    Because they know it annoys you.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO

Mrs. Maister bought me a cell phone a couple years ago (and have used it perhaps 10 times since I acquired it - I don't actually carry it with me). I have it set for 'bubble gum'. I thought bubble gum was a very annoying tone so that's why I selected that tone. If a more annoying one became available I would probably use that.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Mine is Introduction from The Chicago Transit Authority.

I personally like the idea of a classic bell from an old telephone, and the classics never go out of style.

maybe they don't change it because they know that as soon as they do, styles will change and they will need to find another one.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Mine is getting old now but a few years ago it was the envy of all that heard it.

“As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I change my ringtones nearly every month and make all of my own from songs in my iTunes library.

Right now, when my wife calls, my phone plays The Imperial March from Star Wars. Currently, most of the other ringtones for my parents and friends are various jazz clips from Dave Brubeck and Vince Guaraldi. In the past, I've used a lot of stuff from ELO, the Flaming Lips, Daft Punk, LCD Soundsystem, Cream... Theme music from TV shows and old Nintendo video games are some other favorites.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Right now, when my wife calls, my phone plays The Imperial March from Star Wars.
    That would be my default ringtone, and has been for several years.

Also in use for my wife is Pride & Joy (Stevie Ray Vaughn).

Text tones: Light-saber power up, Jawa (Utini!), and Darth Vader breath.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2006
    This is the ringtone when my wife calls. There have been some interesting business situations when I've forgotten to turn the ring off.

“Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    Text tones: Light-saber power up, Jawa (Utini!), and Darth Vader breath.
    My default text tone is a clip of R2D2 speaking. When my wife texts me, I get the "1 up" sound from Super Mario Brothers.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2008
    This is my ringtone for everyone except my wife:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNiPmRBFW_Y&t=5m41s

This is the ringtone for my wife: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TphowXO-Tgs&t=3m25s
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    When RJ calls: "Brown-Eyed Girl" (Jimmy Buffett version)
    When the kid calls: "Who Wants to Live Forever", Queen, from the Highlander movie (got his name from a character in the film)
    When most anyone calls: "Legs", ZZ Top
    When my brother and SIL call: "You're So Vain", Carly Simon (he's not vain, but his wife is off the charts...)

The kid persuaded me to get ring tones when I got the smartphone because I always picked the old-fashioned ringy-dingy on previous phones, and he kept telling me I was a dork.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Because they know it annoys you.
    I've suspected this. Everyone is out to to get me!
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    This is the ringtone when my wife calls. There have been some interesting business situations when I've forgotten to turn the ring off.

I bet... you're wife must be a Lionel Richie fan, and I am sure it reminds everyone of his daughter who reminds everyone of Paris Hilton.

Mine on the other hand shows class and distinction. it starts at about 1 minute in:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKcYGOIJhqo
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jun 2009
    My ringtone is currently "Eye of the Tiger". Starts off soft and then "BAM!".
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Mine's the theme song from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It's perfect, because it's inoffensive to anyone that doesn't watch the show, yet it reflects my sense of humor and tastes to some degree.

It regularly elicits grins and "wink winks" from younger people in the room during client meetings, etc.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I've got the boring Western Electric-style "Old Phone" ring on the iPhone. Except for the ex, where I have a klaxon sound instead. Unfortunately, she doesn't find it as funny as I do. Maybe I should change it
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I've got the boring Western Electric-style "Old Phone" ring on the iPhone.
    Same here, except for my boyfriend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyz1oAHY-_g&ob=av3e

and my sister:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHGDP0Gvs3Q

Registered
    Jul 2006
    My primary ringtone is howling coyotes from a nature site. I used to miss a lot of calls when I had the car radio on because either my music was too loud or I thought that my musical ringtone was just part of the ever-present background music that is used with commercials or to bump up talk radio. With the coyotes, I almost never miss a call.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 27
    Last post: 07 Aug 2008, 1:57 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 17 Jan 2007, 8:51 AM
  3. Ring roads
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 24 Jun 2005, 4:37 PM
  4. Replies: 3