Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New Balance HQ planned for Boston

Registered
    Jan 2005

New Balance HQ planned for Boston

Great project, but I'm not sure about the building shaped like a shoe. To me it actually looks kind of like a cruise liner:

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/bosto...ance_hq_plans/

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Cool! Not sure why they want to get into the mixed use development world, but good for Brighton.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

That part of Brighton is one of the least accessible parts of the city. I'm not sure the hotel or retail will work. Good luck to them.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    That part of Brighton is one of the least accessible parts of the city. I'm not sure the hotel or retail will work. Good luck to them.
    Maybe that's why they want a commuter rail stop? This neighborhood is tough to get to, I agree with you there.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    For those who care, the latest issue of Rolling Stone focuses on the right-wing billionaires who are contributing big money to the Republican campaign. One of the big contributors is Jim Davis, Chairman of New Balance. According to Rolling Stone he is pushing for a lucrative defense contract that would force the Pentagon to purchase New Balance's "made in America" shoes. Is that good or bad? You decide.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    For those who care, the latest issue of Rolling Stone focuses on the right-wing billionaires who are contributing big money to the Republican campaign. One of the big contributors is Jim Davis, Chairman of New Balance. According to Rolling Stone he is pushing for a lucrative defense contract that would force the Pentagon to purchase New Balance's "made in America" shoes. Is that good or bad? You decide.

Bear
    Rolling Stone runs these pieces as if it is something shocking to report that a lot of corporate tycoons support the GOP. Corporate special interests are in control of both parties (arguably more so the GOP), but RS focuses on the Republicans in order to suit their heavy liberal bias. So I take what I read in RS with a big grain of salt..

As for a potential defense contract with New Balance, I'd rather see those manufacturing jobs go to Americans than some third-world country in SE Asia where Nike and Reebok make their shoes. The devil's in the details of course, but on the face of it I'd welcome this and other "Made in the USA" defense contracting policies.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Sep 2013, 5:00 PM
  2. Work/family balance in municipal planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 01 Jan 2013, 10:17 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 11 Jul 2010, 6:18 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 15 Feb 2008, 9:44 AM