Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: 45 record nostalgia

Registered
    Feb 2004

45 record nostalgia

Gotta make ofos feel at home, so lets start a nostalgia thread

Who here remembers 45's? I had lots of them in my childhood but by the time I got into junior high in the mid-late 70's the 33 album was all the rage and the popularity of 45's had begun to wane. With the cost around 90 cents, you might still buy a 45 if there was a particular song by a group you really wanted to hear but didn't want to shell out $4-$5 for an album. Given the cost of living, it's safe to say music is MUCH cheaper to buy today.

Memorable labels from earlier childhood include Laurie records (the Snoopy & Red Baron songs!), Apple records (Beatles!), Parrot records (The Monster Mash!) and Cricket records (lots of kiddie-oriented stuff!). Later on I recall acquiring records with labels like Capital, RCA, Warner, Decca, and Atlantic among others.

Anyone recall any memorable 45 labels from their youth?

On a semi-related note, I removed from the Bin of Antiquity my old 'Frampton Comes Alive' double album a few weeks ago for the first time in almost 25 years.....and a microscopic amount of shake fell out! Ah, nostalgia.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    I obviously didn't own any 45s. But I do vaguely remember playing some of my parent's as a kid. I don't even remember what the music was.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    My first real 45 (not counting kids music) was Candy Girl by New Edition. Unlike some people I'm not particulary nostalgic for the good old days of vinyl.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Memorable labels from earlier childhood include Laurie records (the Snoopy & Red Baron songs!), Apple records (Beatles!), Parrot records (The Monster Mash!) and Cricket records (lots of kiddie-oriented stuff!). Later on I recall acquiring records with labels like Capital, RCA, Warner, Decca, and Atlantic among others.
    I had quite a few of those 45s that were geared towards children. I imagine a lot of them originally belonged to my older brothers and sisters but they still had a lot of life left in them when they made it to me. A few years back I started rebuilding my record collection with a mixture of older stuff that I always liked and newer bands who now seem more likely to produce on vinyl (with a free mp3 download code) than putting out a CD. When I go to local used record stores or antique stores I have found that the 33 rpm records are generally really picked over so I make a beeline for the 45's and have been able to find some really good ones. The only problem with listening to 45s is that you have to change the record more frequently!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Oct 2005
    If you love 45s then this YouTube channel is for you!

http://www.youtube.com/user/cicodelico/videos

I don't know who he is but the owner has uploaded hundreds of old, and often obscure, 45s with pictures of the record in great quality. Check it out.

There's something about the crackle of a record that anyone younger than 21 doesn't and probably never will understand.
    "Is the sound on vinyl records better than on CDs or DVDs?" http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Gotta make ofos feel at home, so lets start a nostalgia thread
    I got a 45 you'll remember. Record this, punk!

Click image for larger version

Name:	45.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	4926
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Yeah we had a lot 45s when I was growing up. A lot of Disney songs, The Monkees (my sister loved them), The Guess Who, BTO, etc. We had a couple of those boxy mono speaker record players just for 45s for us kids and my parents had a hi-fi.

Remember those plastic swatzika-shaped do-hinkeys that you could stick in the big hole of the 45 so you could play it on a good stereo?
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2002

Who here remembers 45's?
    Remembers them? I still have a whole box of 'em! OK, it's a box I never unpacked from our last move...

One of my old college roommates used to refer to my collection as "scary singles," because I liked to buy obscure (and some not so obscure) hits from the '60s and '70s. I also have a lot of singles from the punk/new wave era, when 45s sort of made a comeback.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I was hoping someone would mention the resurgence of 45's during the punk era. I've got a box full myself - the Cramps, Ian Drury, the Residents, Snakefinger, Gong, Rockpile, and some really obscure stuff. I never stopped buying vinyl LP's and still do today. Like someone else said, I fill in the holes of my collection and also buy new LP's by modern indie type bands that also include a download code. I have lots of CD's but prefer vinyl. It's fun to actually be able to afford the stuff now, as opposed to when I was a poor broke college student and was often limited to 45's based on price.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear still has a small stack of 45s, upstairs in the study in a cabinet. I had many more (child of the 1950s) but they all went bye-bye. Maybe as "Amish Frisbees", courtesy of my little brother.

I have hundreds of 78s. upstairs in the anti-Cyburbian 2-story barn-style garage. Collections from my Dad and my aunt. To those of you who have never seen or held a 78 RPM record.....those muthers are heavy. And the usual purchasing method was a giant book with paper record sleeves as pages. For instance, you could buy a (early) Sinatra collection that included 8 records in the book, with his picture and title blah-blah stuff on the cover. That type of thing is in my garage.

I have been (slowly) converting many of those to CD, via a unit I own that can change 'em to digital.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I only had a handful of 45's, but did build up a decent 33 collection before going to CD. Het, I even had a few 8-tracks, and a friend of mine had a reel to reel. The thing I remember from when I was a kid is switching the speed to play records at 78, since the record players still had that setting. Ahhh... chipmunks.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    When I moved 5 yrs ago, I gave two boxes of my 45's to the daughter (into old music) of a fellow Cyb who has since blown me off; and my LPs and my record player. And wow do I regret that. Do a nice thing, and get screwed. You know who you are.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    45's remind me of Woolworths, Korvettes, and Musicland.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The nostalgia advisory board
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 13 Nov 2013, 4:34 PM
  2. Is Nostalgia The Internet's Crack?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 03 Nov 2010, 5:13 PM
  3. Replies: 38
    Last post: 08 Dec 2006, 11:27 AM