Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Kids and coping with that good ol' fashioned agricultural academic calendar

Registered
    Feb 2004

Kids and coping with that good ol' fashioned agricultural academic calendar

Ahhh, schools out and I can finally have Junior home to help feed the pigs, mow hay, and harvest corn. Isn't summer wonderful? What's that you say, your kids don't live on a farm? Well shame on you! I am curious, though what all them there city slickers do with their kids during the summer months, particularly where both parents work?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Ahhh, schools out and I can finally have Junior home to help feed the pigs, mow hay, and harvest corn. Isn't summer wonderful? What's that you say, your kids don't live on a farm? Well shame on you! I am curious, though what all them there city slickers do with their kids during the summer months, particularly where both parents work?
    We have used day care, in home babysitter and at their house babysitter. Some summers, it was a combination of all three.

This summer, now that my wife is working from home, I think the girls may just stay home (at least until they drive my wife insane).
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Well, I'm going to be introducing him to a family tradition. Like my father did for me and his father did for him. He is going to be running numbers out of the back of a barbershop. And you better believe I am gonna get my vigorish. And if someone doesn't pay, well, that is when those karate lessons he took really pay off.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    One of 2 options...
    • YMCA has a summer day camp program that includes games, swimming & field trips
    • Local private school has a summer day camp program that has several activities, movies, swimming, field trips and at least one hour of dedicated reading.

We have used both depending on our other summer plans.

Our school also has a summer program, but Mrs. P & I both think the daughter needs a break from the same school building during the summer.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I grew up on a farm so I indeed spent my summers bailing hay and straw, helping my mom in her very large garden, or doing general barn and house maintenance. We also had about 7 acres worth of lawn that I mowed entirely with a small push mower. My parents promptly got a 48" professional grade walk-behind once I moved out so I am thinking they just kept that old 21" mower just to give me some busy work. These days, my nephews who are mostly junior high school and high school aged, and are all indeed city slickers, all go out to my parents house 2 or 3 days a week in the summer to do farm work. They have been doing this for years - if you are old enough to steer a tractor straight, we can find some work for you.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I was lucky. My parents were retired and had a cabin on a lake in the UP. The boys are several years apart and both got to spend quality time with G&G during summers.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    When I was a kid, my mom was a preschool teacher, so she was home to take care of us in the summer. She moved to a full-time gig when I was nine. But by that time, I was pretty much old enough to take care of myself, plus I had older brothers. We also spent a lot of time at the local aquatic center, my aunt's house & pool, the library, friends' houses, or my grandma's house. Also just a lot of time playing basketball in the driveway, baseball in the cul-de-sac, and lots of time riding our bikes all over town.

I feel bad for kids who have to spend all summer in an institutionalized environment (day care, camp, etc), instead of playing at home and in their own neighborhoods, doing all sorts of different things. Sure, camp can be fun...but in small doses (a week here, a week there). Just my opinion though.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Summers we would retire to the cottage on the lake. We would not stay there all the time, since the Manor house was only an hour away, but it did seem to be a bit cooler, and there was the lake and woods in which we could play. We also took a family vacation every summer, usually two or three weeks. Then there was the visit to Canada. We would stay with my grandparents, but just about every day went to see some uncle/aunt/cousin, etc., and most of them lived on farms. That was huge fun for us, riding on the trailer behind the tractor, playing in the barns, watching the pidgeons, "helping" with the harvest....
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    When I was a kid, my mom was a preschool teacher, so she was home to take care of us in the summer. She moved to a full-time gig when I was nine. But by that time, I was pretty much old enough to take care of myself, plus I had older brothers. We also spent a lot of time at the local aquatic center, my aunt's house & pool, the library, friends' houses, or my grandma's house. Also just a lot of time playing basketball in the driveway, baseball in the cul-de-sac, and lots of time riding our bikes all over town.

I feel bad for kids who have to spend all summer in an institutionalized environment (day care, camp, etc), instead of playing at home and in their own neighborhoods, doing all sorts of different things. Sure, camp can be fun...but in small doses (a week here, a week there). Just my opinion though.
    Pretty much the same for me. There were a lot of kids in the neighborhood so whoever's mom was at home during the day more or less kept an eye on us all. My mom worked part time til I was 8 or 9 so she was only gone for a few hours and was home most of the time by 2pm. Most days we just ran around, rode bikes, swam in the pool, watched tv or videos, and did a whole bunch of nothing. I spent two weeks every summer at sleepaway camp every year since 1st grade. I went to a YMCA day camp for the summer when I was 11 or 12, but I used to get myself up and take myself there on my bike since my mom worked 6am-2pm

RT spent summers with her grandma until she was 9 (she passed away) and then she spent summers with a family in the neighborhood that had three girls and a stay at home mom. After she turned 11 she pretty much minded herself at home while I was working. She never seemed interested in going to summer camp which was kind of a bummer. I am sure that the baby will be spending most of her summers in the Dominican Republic once she gets big enough. Most families with Caribbean origins send there kids there to stay connected to their cultural roots and improve their second language skills. A round trip ticket and a little bit of maintenance money is much cheaper than daycare.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 Jun 2012, 10:31 PM
  2. Coping with Rising Home Energy Costs
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 10 Jul 2008, 11:24 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 23 Jan 2004, 6:50 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 26 Nov 2001, 11:19 AM