Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Internships in Denver

Registered
    Mar 2012

Internships in Denver

Hello all,

I'm going to be heading to Moving to Denver in about a month to pursue a MURP. I haven't had an internship so far and think that I better get started on one as soon as possible.

I was wondering in any current students, alumni, or planners in the Denver area had any ideas for places to begin my search. I'm very interested in public sector internships, but am open to private sector and non-profit work as well.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Wisco View post
    . I'm very interested in public sector internships, but am open to private sector and non-profit work as well.
    Here, most aren't hiring people they have to pay benefits, so there are a few internships around. You may be able to find some on the APA-CO site (along with everyone else). Personally I'd just bookmark the city employment page of all the cities in X radius of where you are staying. You'll be in luck after the next budget cycle as more will be canned and cities filling with internships. No idea about non-profits other than doing a search and bookmarking the site.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Mar 2012
    Good idea. Will do. Thanks for the reassurance - I was beginning to think that I wouldn't find any. I've only found one or two in the past couple of months.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Wisco View post
    Good idea. Will do. Thanks for the reassurance - I was beginning to think that I wouldn't find any. I've only found one or two in the past couple of months.
    Finding them is one thing. Landing is another thing entirely.

My subtext of the "better luck" phrase is that here, like in many places, many cities are using former paid full-time professionals to do part-time, no benefits internship or contract work. So you are competing with people who have been canned from a city-county job and need to eat. There are more openings for slave labor, sure. You will have to figure out how to position yourself against all the others. Unless you hold your nose and work for the oil&gas industry, which is oozing across the land at an amazing pace hereabouts.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect it is still the case that every advertisement gets over 100 responses. Denver has to cut - again this year - some very large figure from its budget. The last Special District meeting I went to, almost all Special Districts were continuing to be working with less revenue this year than in the past, with no end in sight. Competition is brutal, and nothing I see in the near-term will change that. Especially if China slows down and Europe continues to act like morons wrt their economic issues.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Mar 2012
    Well, reality is helpful, too. I'd like to avoid the oil and gas industry if at all possible, but I have to eat. I guess I'll have to wait tables and volunteer for a bit.

Thanks for all of your help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Registered
    May 2012

Any feedback on the MURP at UC Denver?

Hello, good sirs,

I haven't seen many posts about the Denver MURP program on this site, and I've heard mixed reviews. I'm finishing undergrad this year, and we plan on moving back to Denver afterwards. My plan is to apply once down there; I was just curious about any alumni of the program or additional feedback about the program if there is any available. I obviously assume it's not as prestigious or what have you as MIT etc., but UC Denver is my best and most realistic option. Thanks for any info.

Registered
    May 2012
    Never mind; found other threads finally, thanks though!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Internships
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Aug 2009, 6:47 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 24 Jul 2007, 5:44 PM
  3. Internships
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 16 Feb 2007, 9:05 PM