Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Clemson MCRP program

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011

Clemson MCRP program

Hey everyone.

I have officially decided on attending Clemson University for my graduate studies. I have a lot of the basic information behind the school, but I would like to know about a few things.

1. What is the job placement of Clemson graduates with a Masters degree in City Planning?

2. What is the requirement with internships and what exactly is required with the internship?

3. Where do graduates end up after graduating?

4. Is it possible to complete a strong GIS component of the curriculum? I believe that this is a skill that I will concentrate in.

These questions were not answered exactly when I visited the school, so I am a little weary about attending, but the fit is good in most other aspects. I chose Clemson because of the cost of attending, but the whole reason I am attending graduate school, is to reinforce skills, especially in GIS, and become more marketable after graduation.

If anyone can answer these questions for me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    I am shocked that you couldn't get these answers from the folks at Clemson.

In any event Clemson Planning graduates are found throughout the southeast in multitudes of roles in both the public and private sector. I am a 95' graduate and am Planning Director for a midsize SC City. I have hired Clemson graduates and always appreciate the generalist and practical approach the program takes.

Recent graduate program expansion allows some crossover with the Master in Real Estate program. GIS remain strong.

Interns are typically placed either within the department or at a surrounding local jursitictions (City of Greenville, Appalachian COG, Anderson County, Spartanburg, etc...) The internships at the juristictions especially offer real planning experiences,

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Kind of surprised there too. Anyway, I graduated from there last year so I can answer these.

1. I can't really give you any firm numbers but I know most of my classmates have found work in a planning related field. Clemson graduates do have an advantage to getting jobs in the state since most planning departments are full of Clemson alum.

2. The internship requirements aren't that strict. As long as it's something that's planning related, it should be sufficient. You can even use prior internship / work experience if it was something in the planning field. If that situation occurs, you just have to take another elective instead. Just be aware the internship credits taken over the summer are not covered under the assistantship you may have.

3. Most of us ended up in the Carolinas in various public and private sector positions. Personally I ended up in the place where I did my internship and assistantship doing GIS work.

4. While there is no strict GIS concentration, you'll have the opportunity to get exposed to a lot of GIS through both core classes and electives. You can take electives outside of the department if you see something interesting as well. The GIS classes in department focus more on using GIS for analysis purposes rather than strictly teaching you the nuts and bolts of the software. Personally I already had GIS experience prior to coming to Clemson and still felt like I learned some new stuff, particularly in regards to modeling.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    I appreciate your help! It does help a lot. Settles my nerves for now. When I visited earlier, there was not a strong answer, just kind of dodged it.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    If you plan on attending Clemson or USC plan on staying in SC. If you go to Clemson make sure to get one of those fancy class rings that they all wear in SC, you'll also need your sunglass strap and boat shirt to go with it.

I don't know why but you don't see too many planners and engineers from Clemson or USC get out of the state or the south. This is probably due to the internships and first jobs most get when they graduate.

I worked in SC for 2 years and this is what I saw. I also had a Clemson grad work for me and she thought her Sh!t didn't stink because of that.
    @GigCityPlanner

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Personally, SC is a good fit for me. The standard of living is relatively cheap compared to the rest of the south, and it's in ideal spot in the event I decide to travel somewhere such as Georgia, Florida, or NC.

At the end of the day, a job is what I am going for, and that is all I am working towards in the final stretch of my education.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Clemson open house
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 16 Oct 2011, 4:54 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Mar 2011, 11:54 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 Jun 2008, 11:29 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 13 Oct 2005, 12:34 PM