Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Old Fashioned Hard Candy - AIB Root Beer

Registered
    Jul 2006

Old Fashioned Hard Candy - AIB Root Beer

Back before the dawn of time, my school class visited the Claeys candy factory in South Bend, IN. They were and are an old family owned business that still makes many of the traditional hard candies (root beer, lemon, horehound, etc.) In the past year, I've found that Tractor Supply actually carries them in Texas but it looks like they're available at a number of e-stores as well. Highly addictive and highly recommended.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'll tell you what I NEVER liked is Werther's I fail to see what's so great about 'em.
    Gramma and grampa always had a bowl of hard candy on the coffee table, and we regularly raided it whenever we visited. I liked the cinnamon candies the best followed by peppermints. At the bottom of the bowl were usually lots of coffee, root beer, and menthol candies - yuk[/kid]
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Back before the dawn of time, my school class visited the Claeys candy factory in South Bend, IN. They were and are an old family owned business that still makes many of the traditional hard candies (root beer, lemon, horehound, etc.) In the past year, I've found that Tractor Supply actually carries them in Texas but it looks like they're available at a number of e-stores as well. Highly addictive and highly recommended.
    I love Claeys. The Ace Hardware near me stocks them so I buy them in there when I am in. And unlike Maister, I enjoy Werther's and buy a bag for my cubicle every few weeks.

When I was really little, maybe 3 or 4, I can remember when my great-great-grandma moved into my grandma and grandpa's house (she must have been about 100 years old). All I can remember of her was that she chewed tobacco and ALWAYS had a ready supply of hard candy with her, usually peppermint flavored. A while back I was telling my mom that I remembered my great-great-grandma and the hard candy. She said that the reason she always had the candy on her was because she was diabetic. She also was nearly blind and had only one leg... apparently, I never remembered that.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    As hard candy goes, I like cinnamon red hots best. Butterscotch is a close second. I do enjoy root beer hard candy - like them better than root beer.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I like Jolly Ranchers. I went to a vintage candy store by my sister's once and they had the old style jolly rancher bars. I got a few apple and cinnamon.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear is not much of a hard candy fan. Once in awhile.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Root beer
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 05 Aug 2014, 7:01 PM
  2. Uses Community root cellar
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 25 Nov 2011, 7:10 PM