Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Concrete wheel stops versus rubber

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2009

Concrete wheel stops versus rubber

I'm just doing some research on concrete versus rubber wheel stops.
    We've had some issues come up where we have required, as a condition of a development permit, applicants install wheel stops but our enforcement group has concern that they have used rubber versus concrete.

From what I've found so far; it appears rubber is much better in the long run for maintenance and wear/tear and plus it uses recycled tires. Just wondering if anyone has language in their LUB to provide specific direction or if you just require a wheel stop (regardless of material) and if you've had many problems with the rubber ones versus concrete.

Thanks!

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Wheelstops as a concept are usually bad, but having seen a bunch of broken concrete ones in my time, I would hesitate to wager which is longer lasting. Can you just have some language that wheelstops must be kept in good condition and secured to the ground (if that's how you use them). I'm not too sure of the failure mode for plastic ones, do they shatter or fray or what? If they break off pieces, to match the concrete ones you could have some quanitative standard of only allowing X size missing pieces before replacement.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 07 Apr 2009, 2:27 PM
  2. Rubber sidewalks?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 29 Oct 2007, 9:41 AM
  3. Wheel Chair that does 50 MPH!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 10 Jun 2007, 9:02 PM