Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Bacon Thread

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Today is Tuesday. BLTs are the weekly special in the building cafeteria. YUM
    I wish my workplace had a cafeteria..

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I had a vegetarian BLT for lunch while shopping at a co-op yesterday. Yum.

This is probably the only time I will contribute to this thread, unless you're discussing Kevin Bacon! No pork in my household (or my belly, for that matter).

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Bacon, fruit, omelet, 'taters.

RJ is the KING of . The One

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    rj, I'm enjoying your weekly bacon updates. Get help for me when I begin looking forward to your weekly bacon updates.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    What overcooked bacon looks like.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    OMG, the humanity!!!! No, this can't be true!!!!

Bacon shortage worldwide 'unavoidable' UK pig group says

The droughts that ravaged crops across North American and Russia have had a huge impact on the food supply, livestock and farmers but now it may be time to hit the “panic” button – one pig group is predicting a BACON SHORTAGE.

“A world shortage of pork and bacon next year is now unavoidable,” the National Pig Association in the UK said this week.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'm gonna start stockpiling bacon. I hope it's on sale at Publix this week. When we get the new fridge this week, I can stuff the entire freezer full of bacon!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The store brand of bacon at Publix today was selling for $7.39 a package! One day, an upcoming bacon shortage is announced, and a day later the price goes up almost 3 bucks?? Their flier that came in the paper today advertised Smithfield bacon for $3.99 but the guy stocking the bacon aisle said they didn't have any. I'm betting they just didn't want to have to put it out and sell it at that price. I'm outraged!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I enjoy bacon but don't generally eat it because my wife doesn't really care for it so she never buys it and I just never think to buy it when I am in the store. However we had some nice, thick Canadian bacon in the fridge leftover from another recipe so I had a couple slices of that this morning for breakfast along with my steel-cut oatmeal and raspberries. Very tasty.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I had a BLT for lunch today (using some of that Amish bacon we recently purchased. Mmmm mmmm!). By sheer coincidence, I also had a box of bacon crackers delivered to my doorstep during lunch!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

Drought in the Midwest will send pork prices soaring!

I heard on the news this morning that due to the drought in the Midwest, pork products are expected to cost about 12 percent more in the near future. This would hit my family hard. My son and I are lovers of pork, especially bacon. I would rather have a pork chop than a steak. And fresh-cooked cracklings - YUM. But bacon is king in our house.

My son asked me if this meant we would be having less bacon. I smiled and said, "It means you'll be having less bacon."
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2005
    MMMMMMM..........a pound of bacon.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tonys-i-75-restaurant-birch-run

My last trip to this place involved a trip Up North for a buddy's bachelor party weekend in 2004. We stopped at Tony's on the way up for breakfast. Because of the ridiculous portion sizes, we ended up with probably 2 lbs of extra bacon. We took it with us in a doggy bag. After our first 18 holes, and after many beers, the leftover bacon was perhaps the most delicious bacon I've ever had. This was probably more due to how inebriated I was. But it was still awesome!!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004
    The annual bacon eating contest has been called off!! We need a backup plan. where is the test tube bacon???
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ZG cooking bacon for this morning's brunch.

Bacon, strawberries, sparkling wine, and French toast.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Filet wrapped in bacon. Mine is the large rare cut.

Bacon bits the kind used in the store bought labeled shaker cans are totally vegetarian and widely enjoyable by vegetarians. I like cooking vegetable dishes just because they are kinda fun to sit down and cook. Soups, cassaroules, jams for breakfast, although I enjoy the occasional big English breakfast, if you stab a pig it doesnt break out in bacon; it is a fairly complicated process that is involved in any sort of cured meat. And as my pathophysiology teacher mentioned, if you drink a glass of orange juice with a cured meat you have half a chance of that not mutating into a known carcinogen someplace on your body and for guys cured meat goes like a cyclone for the prostrate; so all cured meat should be consumed with big sides of OJ. regular pork is ok.

Men used to eat bacon freely because the straw dogs of war were at their heels
    An old man was 40 and so eat up the bacon in the midst of the war machine
    the valkyries decided the fate of men and now its the bacon

Now, bacon is eaten but the willow tree is calling and the bacon is bacon-falling
    so now the bellow between earth and sky that decides these things has
    decide your bacon fate the tao says, we wish for valkyries but settle for bacon

personally i dont have any real opinion about bacon it just bugs me that i have
    to hear ode to bacon today because i am in a bad mood; or i could do a steve martin
    and just exclaim that atheist aint got no art. its a song on u-tube

I was trying to sound dangerous and spiritual at the same time like Lao Tzu

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Sometimes it's just freaking bacon! Jeez.

Learn how to edit your posts for chrissakes.

I like being an edit rebel. I never edit and I can keyboard as type is an old word and there are no type writers used much anymore, I can type 100 words a minute. I don't edit for several reasons. first i believe that it makes people less self conscious about some dumb "type"; communication at this level anyway is not about editing it write or being pithy.

so one, because it allows everyone to kick off their clothes a bit and not try to be so perfect.
    next two, its unique and as long as i am communicating why get hemmed in by grammar etc rules?
    three, it annoys people like zoning goddess, thats a very satisfying reason alone.

and four, serioulsy, i speak five languages im not trying to brag, i have done some technical writing; i have written four copious novels i can really churn it out and can write a 100K novel in two months after i plan it out and outline it; if i am ever in the position to afford an editor i will be thus edited properly;

and if i am in the right mood i will write a well edited pithy statement and try to fit in. the first reason is the biggest reason, it just stops people from always trying to be so so well just so.

ok, here is my edit I meant "typo" not "type", i do edit if i think it impedes the communication.

just on a tangent if you go to europe, kiss off eating a luscious artificial totally vegetarian bacon bit and they dont eat bacon here either the way americans do, they might in england? bacon is like a dinner side, or used for flavoring but never eaten at breakfast or in a sandwhich, subway stores are funny here as i wonder were they get those bacon strips? flown from peoria? oh, i like bacon, and i thought it was fun to write a poem based on the lao tzu of bacon. sigh enough bacon, knee still bad, getting worried i might need to actually see a doctor and have it looked at. four weeks; eek; although i will give it six before i break down and get my knee looked at. ciao

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I'm having to deal with Davis Bacon which is certainly not desirable. I want to deal with Cured Bacon instead!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by christinejosephine View post
    I like being an edit rebel. I never edit and I can keyboard as type is an old word and there are no type writers used much anymore, I can type 100 words a minute. I don't edit for several reasons. first i believe that it makes people less self conscious about some dumb "type"; communication at this level anyway is not about editing it write or being pithy.

so one, because it allows everyone to kick off their clothes a bit and not try to be so perfect.
    next two, its unique and as long as i am communicating why get hemmed in by grammar etc rules?
    three, it annoys people like zoning goddess, thats a very satisfying reason alone.

and four, serioulsy, i speak five languages im not trying to brag, i have done some technical writing; i have written four copious novels i can really churn it out and can write a 100K novel in two months after i plan it out and outline it; if i am ever in the position to afford an editor i will be thus edited properly;

and if i am in the right mood i will write a well edited pithy statement and try to fit in. the first reason is the biggest reason, it just stops people from always trying to be so so well just so.

ok, here is my edit I meant "typo" not "type", i do edit if i think it impedes the communication.

just on a tangent if you go to europe, kiss off eating a luscious artificial totally vegetarian bacon bit and they dont eat bacon here either the way americans do, they might in england? bacon is like a dinner side, or used for flavoring but never eaten at breakfast or in a sandwhich, subway stores are funny here as i wonder were they get those bacon strips? flown from peoria? oh, i like bacon, and i thought it was fun to write a poem based on the lao tzu of bacon. sigh enough bacon, knee still bad, getting worried i might need to actually see a doctor and have it looked at. four weeks; eek; although i will give it six before i break down and get my knee looked at. ciao
    Don't worry. There are are several typing and grammar police people on these forums. They're just jealous.

I had bacon on a burger last night. It was yummy.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I'm having to deal with Davis Bacon which is certainly not desirable. I want to deal with Cured Bacon instead!
    Do you find the irony that Davis Bacon is bacon for someone, but certainly not bacon for you and me.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

My reverence For Bacon Has Motivated Me To Be A Better Person

I felt guilty about not editing if it bothers anyone. So, I will try and edit normally. Also, that five language thing is lame. I did take high school Spanish and a semester abroad in Valencia and working in a hospital you can earn extra money per hour by taking the Spanish classes they offer and passing tests, so I achieved a functioning level. And French because I lived in France now for about 8 years and on and off the two years before that. But the other languages I was exposed to as a child, I can't really function in in any meaningful way. So, I should really say three thinking about it. So, we can be grateful for the power of bacon.

Bacon has made me a better person.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    First town I worked for there was a big meat-packer distributor that sold a ton of pre-cooked bacon. This was some years ago before it was popular and in grocery stores etc. He had to expand his warehouse and facility because that pre-cooked bacon business was booming for him. He gave me so much bacon. He gave me SO DAMN much BACON it was unreal. God bless that man, I miss him a lot. I probably should have been unwilling to accept the bacon, but it was BACON!

"...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Has anyone seen the bacon jerky in the stores? It tastes like bacon and is cut thick.

Real bacon bits makes grits tasty.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I remember in Ken Burns Civil War series, author Shelby Foote was talking about what the troops on each side ate. He said the Confederates used to prepare something they called 'sloosh' where they added corn meal to the leftover bacon grease and fried it up. After hearing about this I simply had to try it....it was not bad. Not bad at all. But truly how can one ever go far wrong with bacon?

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 9:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 8:40 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread