Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hell thy name is 'moving'

Registered
    May 2005

Hell thy name is 'moving'

Took last Thursday and Friday off to move. We're moved in. Appliances come tomorrow. Living out of boxes. But it's great!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Took last Thursday and Friday off to move. We're moved in. Appliances come tomorrow. Living out of boxes. But it's great!
    Now where is the mixing spoon? What about the dog leash? Your pillow?

Moving sucks, but glad you are done. Unpacking is a fun/awful thing to do.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Now where is the mixing spoon? What about the dog leash? Your pillow?

Moving sucks, but glad you are done. Unpacking is a fun/awful thing to do.
    We're generally pretty good when it comes to lableing boxes and such. However, it took us an entire day to find the hardware to put the girls' beds together. They're still not put together though.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    For me the part I hated most about moving from one side of town to the other was the timetable aspect - having to get the new digs repaired and painted and do all those things that you want to have done before having a house full of stuff to shift around later - all the while still 'headquartered' at the other dwelling and travelling back and forth multiple times a day. That transitional time was just plain physically exhausting. Granted, that usually only occurs for shorter moves and longer moves have their own special pains.
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    With being in the Marine Corps and then moving to a different apartment nearly every year when I was in undergrad and before I got married, I have had enough moving over the past 15 years that when my wife and I bought a house in 2009 I said, "That's it! I'm living here until I'm living in the ground!" However, I recognize that moving is a great way to really clean out the garage, attic, basement, etc. and forces you to get rid of stuff you no longer need or use and sometimes think maybe we should move every 5 or 6 years just to get in a good cleaning.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I found packing a lot more painful than unpacking... in part because of the necessity of going through stuff and deciding whether some things should be kept, tossed, or donated before they could even go into a box. Then there was the hell of discovering -- after everything was supposedly packed up and moved to the new house -- that there was still a bunch of ju-- er, stuff remaining that ended up filling several carloads and requiring multiple trips (40 minutes each way) to transport. AND we still had to clean the old house from top to bottom for our buyers prior to closing.

I don't want to move again for a long, long time.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The last time I moved, I had to get rid of 99% of my furniture, have the dog "put down", have the entire house painted, inside and out, and re-carpeted, pack up all our stuff (thank god, 2 people in 1200 s.f.), convince RJ to get a one-way ticket to Orlando , and on moving day, have two of my "by god, we'll be there " helpers not show up. I had to take stuff to the dump, and the only guy helping us with a truck lived in the next county, so I had to go along with my resident ID. We were hours late leaving. Then my kid elected to ride in the van with RJ, leaving me in my SUV with 3 squealing cats for 6.5 hours...

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I moved every year between 1997 to 2003. Then again in 2006 and then again in 2008 into the house that we live in now. It is the first time where I don't want to move anymore. But then again we bought a house big enough that we will never move again... unless we want to.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    We are in the middle of getting ready for a move right now. I sign the lease on the new place on Friday. We can only move in during the week, not on the weekend. I have until the 24th to turn the keys in to the old place. Unfortunately the move that is scheduled for Wednesday 6/20 coincides with a business trip so I've had to hire movers and my partner and RT will be managing the move, the baby, and Captain while I'm in San Francisco. We can move some stuff in this weekend, so I've decided to move most of the kitchen, all of our clothes, and some other items that I don't want to put on the truck. Figured we could knock out the cleaning when I return from SF on the 22nd or 23rd and then hand in the keys.Going from 3 adults and a baby crammed into a 1 bedroom apartment to a 2 bedroom apartment will be like arriving in heaven. I am looking forward to my work commute going from an hour+ with tolls to 10-15 minutes
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I moved every year between 1997 to 2003. Then again in 2006 and then again in 2008 into the house that we live in now. It is the first time where I don't want to move anymore. But then again we bought a house big enough that we will never move again... unless we want to.
    Just think about all of the money you are losing by heating, maintaining, painting a home that is too big for your needs. Add taxes and insurance into the mix. Suddenly a big house does not seem so attractive.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Just Call Me "Van"

Follow the bouncing Bear, since 1948.....

Lakeside Street, Toledo
    Macomber Street, Toledo
    Isha Laye Way, Toledo
    Brophy Drive, Toledo
    Sunset Avenue, Toledo
    Pendeleton Road, Toledo
    Malden Avenue, Toledo
    East Lincolnshire Boulevard, Toledo
    Pierce Street, Maumee
    Macomber Street, Toledo (again, different digs)
    Palmer Street, Toledo
    Hunters Trail, Toledo
    Mauer's Trailer Park, near Bowling Green
    Kellogg Street, Toledo
    5th Street, Perrysburg
    Berdan Avenue, Toledo
    Henry County Road 1D, BFI, Henry County, OH (my favorite)
    Woodland Avenue, Swanton (Been here about 15 years)

Doesn't include the summer months I lived on a beach, sleeping under the stars and/or breaking into boats (when it rained). Yes, love was involved.

Doesn't include living part of a summer near Wrigley Field, in Chicago.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Just think about all of the money you are losing by heating, maintaining, painting a home that is too big for your needs. Add taxes and insurance into the mix. Suddenly a big house does not seem so attractive.
    I used to worry about that too but there is definitely something to be said for being relatively young (I have a feeling michaelskis and I are about the same age) and being in a house large enough to support a family that may expand a few times over the next few years. Besides, moving is definitely not a cheap endeavor once you factor in lost wages from taking time off, closing costs if you are purchasing, etc. If you can pay a bit more in utilities for a few years, you may end up even or ahead of where you would be if you had to pay moving costs every 3 or 4 years over the same period.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Oops!

Forgot one.....

Mary Ann Street, Liberty Center, OH

Only lived there for a year while looking for a suitable house in Swanton.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Appliances were delivered yesterday. Everything went smoothly. The stove was set up for gas, but my wife wanted electric, so this past weekend my FIL and I had to run about 70 feet of 220 volt wire from the box to the opposite corner of the house where the stove would be. It kept tripping the breaker when we plugged it in yesterday. After a tip from my FIL, I ended up having to switch two wires and now it's fine.

(This is a whole different thread - gas vs. electric stove. I do most of the cooking and I prefer gas, but this is one of those compromise moments in a marriage where I agreed to electric.)

So we're still living somewhat out of boxes. We have no dining room table (old one was sold during the last move) and no window coverings. But we can now buy groceries and cook.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    We have been in our current house for over 12 years now, but moving into it was the fifth move in a six-year period. The goals for Day One on any of the moves were always 1. get the master bedroom set up, and 2. unpack enough of the kitchen to be able to fix breakfast the following morning.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I used to worry about that too but there is definitely something to be said for being relatively young (I have a feeling michaelskis and I are about the same age) and being in a house large enough to support a family that may expand a few times over the next few years. Besides, moving is definitely not a cheap endeavor once you factor in lost wages from taking time off, closing costs if you are purchasing, etc. If you can pay a bit more in utilities for a few years, you may end up even or ahead of where you would be if you had to pay moving costs every 3 or 4 years over the same period.
    You young whipper-snappers with your micro-mansions.... lol
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Moving North!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 25 Apr 2007, 5:09 PM
  2. Moving??
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 22 Jun 2006, 11:31 AM
  3. moving to L.A
    APA Los Angeles Section (archive)