Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: TV Shows, the second generation

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

TV Shows, the second generation

At lunch I was talking with the person making my sandwich when she mentioned that there is a new Dallas TV show coming out. My first thought was so.... then it I thought wait a second, how did we get from talking about the harbor to talking about the TV show Dallas?

She explained to me that the show is basically the kids from the old show with the same plot lines and even a few characters from the old show (including JR). Apparently, this has been done several other places including 90210 and Knight Rider.

What are your thoughts of this TV Show Resurrection? Do you think that Dallas will make it? Will it be as good as the original and was the original even that good?

I don't plan on watching it, but I think it is interesting that they are bringing back all of this old stuff.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2007
    My wife is interested in watching it, specifically because it is supposed to be some sort of continuation. I don't know why as she wasn't old enough to really remember Dallas the first time around either.

I remember getting all excited for Saved by the Bell: The College Years and Saved by the Bell: The New Class only to be sorely let down by both. I will also admit to watching a couple episodes of the new Beverly Hills 90210 (I once spent a month living in a house in Torrance, CA adjacent to the school where the outdoor shots of the high school in 90210 were filmed - I cannot imagine Steve Sanders, Donna Martin, and Kelly Taylor ever residing in that neighborhood) and while it wasn't particularly awful, I don't think I stuck around for more than 3 or 4 episodes.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    It will be interesting to see what happens. I never watched the original series, so I won't be watching this one either. The world, and Texas, has changed since the original, so I don't know how well it will be received. As for "second generation" shows. tv, like movies, isn't the most original creative form.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    They've been doing the same thing with movies for a while. Even going as far as rebooting some franchises twice in a decade or so. Most are pretty hit and miss though. I'd imagine the same is the case with TV shows.

Honestly I'd prefer new franchises rather than reboots. Unfortunately reboots are considered a safer investment than creating a new franchise. The reboots that don't bother me are the ones that are kind of expected within the franchise such as James Bond, Dr. Who, Transformers, and comic based movies. Admittedly comic based movies can be rebooted too much. Like why is Spiderman already being rebooted when the previous three were so successful? I know the answer but it's stupid none the less.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 29 Jan 2008, 8:38 PM
  2. Replies: 108
    Last post: 16 Nov 2005, 8:51 PM
  3. Planners in TV shows...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 18 Jul 2005, 10:43 AM
  4. Classic Car Shows
    Friday Afternoon Club