Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Live theatre

Registered
    Jan 2005

Live theatre

I like live theater... it is better than movies or music concerts. There I said it.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO

I like live theater too, although I'm not prepared to say unequivocally always better than movies. I like the 'freshness' you see when a performer interacts with the audience and when they 'up their game' and perform even better/more dramatically in response to applause or other audience reaction. You don't get that in movies.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO

I like live theater too, although I'm not prepared to say unequivocally always better than movies. I like the 'freshness' you see when a performer interacts with the audience and when they 'up their game' and perform even better/more dramatically in response to applause or other audience reaction. You don't get that in movies.
    I think I've been dragged to too many crappy musicals and second-rate plays to say than I'm a fan of theatre. Although I did really enjoy Rent.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I enjoy some live theatre but typically enjoy the professional shows the best. I tend to get anxiety when watching a local company perform. I worry so much that they are going to screw up and embarrass themselves.

My parents were lucky enough to score 4 free tickets to the Book of Mormon Fan Day 2012 and invited me along. It was a great show. I would highly recommend it if you can spend ~$175/ticket and can wait until March 22, 2013.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I have seen different levels of live theater
    High School - seperate question who was in their HS production ?
    College - not when I was there or local
    Local - no
    Summer Musical at an outdoor amphitheater - Texas: http://www.texas-show.com/about_show.html
    There is one nearby that I havn't been to yet - http://lincolnamphitheatre.org
    Touring Broadway - no
    Broadway in NYC - several times
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I like live theatre. One of the big perks to living where I do is that I have access to one of the top university theatre programs in the country. I get to see some pretty high-quality stuff for a $10 ticket. They've laid a few eggs, but that has more to do with the play/musical itself rather than their performance.

I've seen Broadway in NYC (only once), Touring Broadway (had season tickets for a couple of years), local theatre, collegiate theatre and high school theatre. I was involved in high school theatre, helping out on the technical side with set-building & sound. I also was a "performer" in my HS production of Grease, which featured a live band on stage (I was the band leader).

A family friend was nominated for a Tony Award this year.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I enjoy some live theatre but typically enjoy the professional shows the best. I tend to get anxiety when watching a local company perform. I worry so much that they are going to screw up and embarrass themselves.
    I agree. I wouldn't argue that a high school performance is better than a movie, only the professional stuff is better. The wife and I saw Wicked last night (the national off Broadway tour) and it was phenomenal. I would pay that kind of money, and watch it over and over before I pay to watch Lindsay Lohan do anything.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I would pay that kind of money, and watch it over and over before I pay to watch Lindsay Lohan do anything.
    Anything? OK, the court of public opinion recognizes you are a stand-up guy and accepts that as a true statement.

Back on topic - I like all kinds of live theater as well, and in August I will be going to see Wicked as well. Really excited. We also have locally a really great little theater my wife and I like to go to that does melodramas with a live pianist and the whole works. Really really fun stuff. I wondered if there are theaters like it other places? They write their own shows. It's called the "Desert Star".
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Anything?
    Post of the Day!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Anything? OK, the court of public opinion recognizes you are a stand-up guy and accepts that as a true statement.
    Fair enough. Let's go with Justin Beiber instead.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I was in several High School productions, but I can sing so it was a good way to meet chicks.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I was in several High School productions, but I can sing so it was a good way to meet chicks.
    Nobody wanted to hear me sing but I could paint and build sets and it was a good way to meet chicks too.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jun 2009
    If you want to see a hilarious mockumentary on community theater see the movie "Waiting for Guffman" (same guy who did "Best in Show"). Great stuff, and maybe not that far off.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118111/

That said, I've actually been to quite few live theater productions, from the grade school level to big stuff like Miss Saigon and Les Miserables at Auditorium Theater in Chicago. I used to be friends with the admissiokns director at the School of Music at U of Illinois so would get free tickets to shows all the time at Krannert Center for Performing Arts and a lot of great shows came through there... Stomp, Blue Man Group, Shakespeare Repertory groups, Carmen, and lots of symphonies and other musical acts. I've always loved it. I'd say my favorite is the local improv theater I've seen in Chicago, though. Lots of very well known talent has been developed in those places.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 10:52 AM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last post: 16 Jul 2004, 4:25 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 16 May 2004, 11:03 AM
  4. Theatre in Toronto
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11