Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why Michigan is going to hell. . .

Registered
    Aug 2005

Why Michigan is going to hell. . .

Michiganders - what say you? Female Representative Censored for Use of "V-word"

Where's Veloise? Break out that suffragist outfit and get your tuba down there in protest!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I thought she had said Volvo or Volkswagen. Now that's grounds for censure in Michigan.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2007
    When I first read this, I thought The Detroit News was now collaborating with The Onion.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I agree, it is stupid that they will not let her talk. It is a medically appropriate term and I feel that she should have had her opportunity to say something, even if it was going to be stupid.

However, as someone who is Pro-Life, I am in full support of the bill putting further limits on the killing of unborn babies by the delusional psychopaths at planned parenthood and similar places.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I agree, it is stupid that they will not let her talk. It is a medically appropriate term and I feel that she should have had her opportunity to say something, even if it was going to be stupid.

However, as someone who is Pro-Life, I am in full support of the bill putting further limits on the killing of unborn babies by the delusional psychopaths at planned parenthood and similar places.
    Geez! Hopefully no one here has a family member who works at Planned Parenthood. Nothing like finding out your family member is a delusional psychopath.

Well, unless they worked on the Catholic Church cover-up of child rapists.

As for this story, I think it has a lot to do with old men not being comforable talking about women's issues. It's easy for them to create legislation behind closed doors. But when confronted with words like vagina, they turn into little school boys who tell the girls to just go away.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2002
    This is NOT a Planned Parenthood or pro-life issue. This is freedom of speach. Told you can't debate because you said "vagina" is one step from repealing the right for women to vote. What the hell was she supposed to call it?

Actually, as an avid listener of Kevin Smith's Smodcasts, and as a reader of his book, I can think of a few words. Those hypocritical Republicans that took away her right to speak should be glad she didn't use any of them.
    The cookies are worth the drive

Registered
    Jan 2005
    And to think I thought I was going to post the stupidest thing in this thread....

Back to my stupid comments...

Is it going to hell ...
    • because of the horrible University there?
    • I thought it went to hell years ago when Schembechler died?
    • To recruit?
    • To deal for a win?
    • Because Brady Hoke sank through the earth and ended up there?

Off-topic:
    Q: Where was O.J. hiding right before the famous white Bronco chase?

A: On the University of Michigan campus. That's the last place you would find a football player.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Nothing coming out of Lansing suprises me.
    She is an elected official using a word that we as parents use when we have the "talk" with our daughters, but then maybe some "People" dont have that talk, they leave it to (dare I say it) their better half.
    I too thought it was a some kind of joke when I saw the headline and than I read the story. And still am shaking my head over it.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    full support of the bill putting further limits on the killing of unborn babies by the delusional psychopaths at planned parenthood and similar places.
    Wow - why don't you tell us how you really feel.

Well there is one saving grace to michigan - Bells Brewery
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    And to think I thought I was going to post the stupidest thing in this thread....

Back to my stupid comments...

Is it going to hell ...
    • because of the horrible University there?
    • I thought it went to hell years ago when Schembechler died?
    • To recruit?
    • To deal for a win?
    • Because Brady Hoke sank through the earth and ended up there?

Off-topic:
    Q: Where was O.J. hiding right before the famous white Bronco chase?

A: On the University of Michigan campus. That's the last place you would find a football player.
    Only a Bucknut would fail to note that this took place in Lansing where the other university is located. Schembechler may have died but his good reputation lives on unlike those of Woody Hayes and Jim Tressell.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2007
    The censured rep is the cousin of a friend's wife.

Other than that, I have nothing constructive to add to this thread.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    This is NOT a Planned Parenthood or pro-life issue. This is freedom of speach. Told you can't debate because you said "vagina" is one step from repealing the right for women to vote. What the hell was she supposed to call it?

Actually, as an avid listener of Kevin Smith's Smodcasts, and as a reader of his book, I can think of a few words. Those hypocritical Republicans that took away her right to speak should be glad she didn't use any of them.
    I agree. She should have been able to say what she was going to say. It was wrong for her freedom of speech to be surpressed like that.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Only a Bucknut would fail to note that this took place in Lansing where the other university is located. Schembechler may have died but his good reputation lives on unlike those of Woody Hayes and Jim Tressell.
    But Michigan State isn't a horrible university who recruits from the devil and has a fat football coach. It wouldn't be fun to make fun of them now would it?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Geez! Hopefully no one here has a family member who works at Planned Parenthood. Nothing like finding out your family member is a delusional psychopath.

My wife volunteers with the local planned parenthood. She spends some of her free time killing babies

Actually she helps with some of their breast cancer screenings.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I'll be sure to tell those fine folks at PP who provided me some much needed health screenings while I was uninsured and unemployed that you said hello.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    I'll be sure to tell those fine folks at PP who provided me some much needed health screenings while I was uninsured and unemployed that you said hello.
    Off-topic:
    Threre are some people at PP who do good things such as screenings and such. But there are some who conduct truly evil acts. If they are part of the ones who are performing abortions, you can let them know that I view them as murders. You can view them as you wish. My comments are not to change your mind but to respond to your comment.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I thought that this was going to be about the organizers giving up on trying to recall Rick Snyder.

Mike

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Michiganders - what say you? Female Representative Censored for Use of "V-word"
    Where's Veloise? Break out that suffragist outfit and get your tuba down there in protest!
    I'm in band camp in New Orleans, sitting back with popcorn. It's been hilarious to read some of the coverage. Look up the Twitter feed #vaginamovielines. I guess no one can read aloud from the Detroit Free Press on the statehouse floor.

Coverage
    "Apparently, when discussing a medical procedure, it's not really appropriate to use medical words. Well not about lady bits anyway. It makes me wonder what euphemisms would be acceptable. "Will the representative get his hand out of the otter's pocket?" "Can the honourable gentleman refrain from trespassing in the lady cave?"

Between that and the NEVERENDING nonsense of the Matty Moron--whoops, Maroun fight, Font!Gate, and Pete Hoekstra, my fair state is managing to negate the Pure Michigan ads very well. (I should ping the guy who makes the parodies and see if he has something in the pipeline, so to speak.)

And 'Skis, you should read this piece before typing one more word about "delusional psychopaths." Many of the folks who traveled to Lansing to try to speak against the pending bills brought it up.
    Tissue alert.

Dandy, you don't need to read it.
    Last edited by Veloise; 16 Jun 2012 at 8:12 AM.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Once again a group of morons in my adopted favorite state take another giant step backward. Who needs a time machine when you have early-1900 views?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Moderator note:
    Instead of getting further off topic I split this into a thread here - Political Hot Potato - Abortion

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Moderator note:
    Instead of getting further off topic I split this into a thread here - Political Hot Potato - Abortion
    Thanks! I was going to suggest a split!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Moderator note:
    Good Call!

My wife (Heart transplant nurse) and I were talking about the use of medically appropriate terminology in congress and for the life of us, we cannot understand why she should not be able to say what she said. Yes, she was trying to get a sliver of a shock value, but in reality, it would be no different than someone saying "I am happy to see that you are all concerned with my elbow."

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Off-topic:
    Threre are some people at PP who do good things such as screenings and such. But there are some who conduct truly evil acts. If they are part of the ones who are performing abortions, you can let them know that I view them as murders. You can view them as you wish. My comments are not to change your mind but to respond to your comment.
    Let me guess, you are pro death penalty, right?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    Let me guess, you are pro death penalty, right?
    His response will be that the death penalty is not "murder".
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    His response will be that the death penalty is not "murder".
    Actually, at one point in my life, that would have been my answer at one point. But no, I do not support the death penalty unless it is for personal defense.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Why Michigan is going to Hell #3
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 15 Apr 2015, 12:55 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last post: 24 Mar 2008, 9:51 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last post: 28 Sep 2005, 6:32 PM
  4. Why Michigan is going to hell #1