Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How did you overcome difficulty in choosing a thesis topic?

Registered
    May 2012

How did you overcome difficulty in choosing a thesis topic?

Hi all,

This is my first post and I must say that Cyburbia is one great place for those who love cities!

I am student in Honours in Urban Planning and I am required to write a research thesis paper related to urban planning. However, I have been thinking about various thesis topics the last months, but somewhat I am unable to pick a subject. I would like to note that I am interested in urban design and transportation, but the problem is that they all interest me, and it makes it hard to just chose a topic. If you ever had a similar problems, it would be great to share your experience or perhaps any tips would be great.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    It's definitely not easy to come up with something but try to have an end result in mind before you start. Of course you're not going to know exactly what your final product will be at the beginning but you should have a pretty good idea of what you're shooting for. What you pick will ultimately determine what research methods you use. Some research techniques are easier and a lot quicker than others.

For myself, I let the available resources and what research techniques were most palatable to help me determine my thesis topic. Some of the most interesting topics I found had the least amount of research materials on them. I unfortunately didn't have the time to compile a bunch of original research materials to do those topics justice so I passed over them.

Just keep in mind, what you choose for your topic will ultimately determine the amount of time and effort you have to invest in the project.

Registered
    May 2012
    Thank you Blide! Your tip have been quite helpful, I never really thought about time and data gathering issues before, taking that into consideration will help me eliminate certain topics. I find your approach much more easier finding particular topics.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    What piqued your interest in your studies thus far? Something you would like to explore further. Is there subject matter that you wished was offered but wasn't? This could be your chance to explore the field a bit more. And as Blide, pick something managable.

Registered
    May 2005
    While your topic should certainly be something you are interested in and can sustain you through completion, don't forget also that this is just one project of many you will do. Don't blow it up into something too big or overwhelming and don't get too caught up in thinking this has to be your masterpiece. Pretend you have a client waiting for it and tapping their watch in anticipation. Yes, it needs to be a work you are proud of, but you also need to finish and get moving on your career. Keep your eyes on the prize (ie. avoid too many side alleys in the project) and Git Er Done!

Good luck - completing your thesis is a great achievement!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Thesis topic and subsequent career development
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 16 Jun 2011, 8:59 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 23 Feb 2009, 8:27 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Nov 2007, 11:38 AM
  4. off topic tags?