Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Polka dot house

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Polka dot house

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/235944/]Polka dot house a dot.com hit [/URL]

interviewing city planner...., who expressed his personal distaste for the house.
    said the city doesn’t have a code that forbids homeowners from painting their houses in certain colors or schemes, however garish.
    http://articles.boston.com/2012-05-0...senior-planner

What would be your reaction ?
    Mine - it's outlandish and there is nothing on the books that says you couldn't do it except in the historic preservation district.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    We've had one of those for years. Google Polka dot house Detroit Tyree
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jun 2002
    It would seem to me that we should now have the ability to guide people to a national paint manufacturer web site that could contain acceptable color combinations that could be approved by the city so that there are enough tasteful exterior color combinations allowed that would permit a wide range of choices while still barring outlandish and offensive polka-dot or extremely bright or "school color" combinations.

It should include the same color combinations from multiple national manufacturers.

It should allow brick and roof colors to be included to demonstrate compatability.

If the website cannot show a photo of the proposed house with its chosen color scheme, then it should at least have a palate that would show relative size of samples related to size of surface to be colored.

It may also be helpful for the website to give recommendations on how to choose a color scheme and how to select which colors should be applied to large areas and which should be applied to small areas, and which combination of architectural features should have the same or darker colors, etc. as a guide.

There needs to be some fair and legal basis for the city to reject certain colors, while at the same time assisting some people in making a choice that would be an asset to them and the community.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 29
    Last post: 24 Mar 2011, 2:25 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 27 Dec 2007, 4:25 PM
  3. What should I do to buy a house?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 53
    Last post: 20 Mar 2006, 5:06 PM
  4. I am looking for my first house!
    Friday Afternoon Club