Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Help! Meeting with admission counselor this Friday!

Registered
    Jun 2012

Help! Meeting with admission counselor this Friday!

Hello guys,

I've joined here recently and getting tons of information through many threads.

To introduce myself little bit, I am currently working and want to pursue graduate school in urban planning.
    By looking at some different schools' websites, I am leaning more towards to housing development and economic development aspects of the urban planning.

I am a California residents & by reading some threads here, i am convinced that I should be looking for schools here for job connection after graduation.

Here are my questions:

1. Which schools are well-known or strong in Housing Development and Economic development? (especially schools in CA)

2. And I have an appointment with one of the USC admission counselor coming Friday & wanted to prepare myself for it. what can i expect from this meeting? and what are the key questions i should be asking??

Thanks you guys in advance!!

Moderator note:
    ~Gedunker
    Welcome to Cyburbia. Please understand that threads in the Student Lounge are considered part of the Professional Forum at Cyburbia, and we use sentence case for such threads. We certainly don't shout in all caps. Thread edited accordingly. And, again, welcome aboard.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 20 Jun 2012 at 12:03 PM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2011
    It seems like you're just gathering information at this point, so I don't think you need to have cut out too many programs for not being "well-known or strong." You're interested in Housing issues and Economic Development issues, and just about every respectable program in the country can teach you a lot about both of those things. Many of those programs are in CA, so you're in good shape for choices out there.

I realize that it's Wednesday night and you've got this meeting coming up on Friday, but if you have a chance to stop by a library or do some online digging (may or may not work out for you), I recommend that you read Jane Abu-Lughod's contribution to The City, Revisited (edited by Dennis Judd and DIck Simpson), called "Grounded Theory: Not Abstract Words, but Tools of Analysis." I think it will give you a really good sense of some of the issues pertaining to California/LA and housing/econ dev.

Good luck!

Registered
    Jun 2012
    "t seems like you're just gathering information at this point, so I don't think you need to have cut out too many programs for not being "well-known or strong." You're interested in Housing issues and Economic Development issues, and just about every respectable program in the country can teach you a lot about both of those things. Many of those programs are in CA, so you're in good shape for choices out there."

Yes. You are right. I am trying to gather as much information as possible. And I do appreciate your comments on 'cutting too many programs.' - what other schools can be my possible choices?

Registered
    Jun 2012
    [MOD]~Gedunker
    Welcome to Cyburbia. Please understand that threads in the Student Lounge are considered part of the Professional Forum at Cyburbia, and we use sentence case for such threads. We certainly don't shout in all caps. Thread edited accordingly. And, again, welcome aboard.

I am glad that I became part of Cyburbia. And I apologize for my inappropriate sentence case. I will keep that in mind for future. Thank you!

Registered
    Jun 2012
    " I recommend that you read Jane Abu-Lughod's contribution to The City, Revisited (edited by Dennis Judd and DIck Simpson), called "Grounded Theory: Not Abstract Words, but Tools of Analysis." I think it will give you a really good sense of some of the issues pertaining to California/LA and housing/econ dev"

Thank you so much!!!! I would love to read about it. But I don't know if I can find time to go down the library(just because my work schedule) Is there any link to the her writing online?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2011
    Forgot to mention this earlier, but for information on programs, programs in your area, and faculty areas of specialization, this is a good place to start: http://www.acsp.org/sites/default/fi...ACSP_Guide.pdf

And lucky you, if you haven't got time to read or find that book chapter, look at what a difference a google search can make: UIC posts a lecture she gave on the topic at http://www.uic.edu/depts/pols/UrbanS...LICKONSPEAKERS

Registered
    Jun 2012

Awesome!!!

Forgot to mention this earlier, but for information on programs, programs in your area, and faculty areas of specialization, this is a good place to start: http://www.acsp.org/sites/default/fi...ACSP_Guide.pdf

This is great! I guess I got some reading to do now ^^

And lucky you, if you haven't got time to read or find that book chapter, look at what a difference a google search can make: UIC posts a lecture she gave on the topic at [url]http://www.uic.edu/depts/pols/UrbanSymposium2007/CLICKONSPEAKERS

Wow. this is really helpful!. thank you so much for your help!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Admission to PSU
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Dec 2010, 3:54 AM
  2. U$C cost of admission
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 04 Dec 2010, 6:41 PM
  3. PhD admission
    Student Commons