Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Higgs Boson discovered?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

Higgs Boson discovered?

So it appears that maybe scientists have discovered the elusive Higgs Boson or "God Particle." Stephen Hawking may have to cough up a C-note for losing that bet.

Now that it may finally be settled, how about this: In the case of the Big Bang, are you in the camp of the Inflation Model, which calls for the Big Bang occurring in an instant of infinite temperature and infinite density?

Or are you in the camp of the cyclic model, where the universe undergoes an endless sequence of "bangs" and "crunches" — that is, periods of expansion followed by periods of contraction?

For the record, I favor the cyclic model.

And also, as long as we are on the subject of The Big Bang Theory. Are you Team Leonard or Team Sheldon.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    They may have found the Higgs Boson particle? That's great! Guess that pretty much clears up Man's Greatest Questions!.... btw, I wonder what it's made of and how did it come to be? And if the answer is 'God made it' how did He come to be?

Just askin'
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2002
    All life is cyclical, so I have to go with that. And I'm team Sheldon

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I am just glad I can stop trying to figure out how He-Man came to be... I mean I know it was by the power of Grayskull, but let's be honest that still left open a lot of questions.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Uhhh, could you repeat the question?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Uhhh, could you repeat the question?
    You know, what is the meaning of life, the universe and everything?

(they didn't by any chance happen to find 42 of those Higgs Boson particles, did they?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I discovered a Higgs boson once. But my finger stunk real bad and I had to clean up with soap and hot water...
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Oooooo.... this is my kind of thread!

The Higgs discovery is pretty amazing. I too am inclined to believe in the cyclic model of the universe, but I am not yet sure. Until we discover why it would "crunch" again, it remains a beautiful idea without enough particle physics backbone. So, for now, I'm sticking with an inflation model with a finite life cycle where the universe would eventually fizzle out or change forms. It remains a mystery.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    So it appears that maybe scientists have discovered the elusive Higgs Boson or "God Particle." Stephen Hawking may have to cough up a C-note for losing that bet.
    Fixed that for you.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    I throw my support behind the "big crunch" and cyclical universe idea. Apparently, Science is moving away from that idea and is more in the camp of inflation and "big freeze". However, despite evidence currently against the big crunch the idea that eventually the universe just dies is just too damn depressing for me. I'll be an optimist and hope for a rebirth.

Go Team Sheldon!

Registered
    Nov 2009
    In theory, the universe could fizzle out and there would still be a "rebirth" as the Higgs separates and recombines to create a new universe. What would happen to old universes, how separation and reconnection occur, and all that jazz, I don't understand. It does seem kind of depressing though to think about vast, lifeless, frozen universes out there floating around in the whatever-it-is-that-contains-universes. Strange concept. The idea of the matter and energy of a universe getting recycled is much more appealing, and fits better into what we know about life in this universe. Perhaps some evidence will be discovered in our lifetimes to shed light either way. Mind blowing stuff, isn't it?
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    And if the answer is 'God made it' how did He come to be?

Just askin'
    HE always was, is now, and always will be.

I think that it is an important discovery in terms of understanding how there is energy in everything. In terms of who's camp am I in, a little of both and neither all at the same time.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    HE always was, is now, and always will be.
    Well then why not just Occam's Razor that argument and just say Higgs bosons was, are now, and always will be?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Well then why not just Occam's Razor that argument and just say Higgs bosons was, are now, and always will be?
    Yep. According to Einstein, "energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another.”
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2005
    It's much easier on the mind to play Pascal's Wager.
    Last edited by btrage; 09 Jul 2012 at 3:42 PM.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Physics hurts my head.

But regarding the Team Leonard or Team Howard question... I'm actually more of a Team Howard!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Physics hurts my head.

But regarding the Team Leonard or Team Howard question... I'm actually more of a Team Howard!
    Hell yes! Any dude that can get Kaley Cuoco is good in my book.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jun 2009
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jul 2006
    If Higgs boson aka the God particle was in the box with Schrödinger's cat, does it both exist and not exist at the same time? Hmmmmm....does that mean that God could both exist and not exist at the same time?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Physics hurts my head.

I can see that, Bernadette is a cutie and stacked. And unlike Sheldon I don't dismiss him simply because he only has a Master's degree.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2006

Maybe Not

The Higgs boson may not have been found after all, warn particle physicists
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technolo...160943671.html

Has Dr. Sheldon Cooper, PhD, once again been denied the Nobel Prize in Physics?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Sep 2004, 3:37 PM
  2. New Underwater Volcano Discovered
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 May 2004, 10:17 AM