Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Nicknames for you and those you love (AIB lp & ursus)

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Nicknames for you and those you love (AIB lp & ursus)

Smedley, right?

We used to call my cousin that, though we changed it Schmedly - 70's childhood meant lots of crazy nicknames at random - my other cousin was called Latrine, a family favorite...

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Smedley, right?

We used to call my cousin that, though we changed it Schmedly - 70's childhood meant lots of crazy nicknames at random - my other cousin was called Latrine, a family favorite...
    DING! DING! DING! I already respected you, LP, but now it's just over the top. I"m lobbying my daughter to call her garage band "Comeback Smedley". I think it has a nice ring to it.

Speaking of crazy nicknames, I have always called my kids something other than their names. It's of no interest but I'd like to tell you just for posterity's enlightenment. Instead of their names I have always called them:

1(girl) - Tiger Lilly
    2(girl) - High Pockets
    3(girl) - Huckleberry
    4(boy) - Crush or Tug. It depends
    5(girl) - Speed, Lulu, or Cricket.
    6(boy) - Bubby. His mom calls him "Big Handsome" which I think is a wonderful sports nickname.

Nicknames need to make a comeback. Come back, Schmedly!
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

Nicknames for you and those you love (AIB lp & ursus)

I think we've all been given nicknames by friends and parents (and enemies). I'm not talking about the ones we give to those sh!+heads who cut us of in traffic and the dumb@$$ in the office next door. What are some of your favorites?

Me growing up, dad called me littlebear
    We call our daughter either Monkey or Sunshine

(mods, you might want to pull lp's & ursus' out and combine here)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    (mods, you might want to pull lp's & ursus' out and combine here)
    Moderator note:
    Split from RTDNTOTO. grumble grumble...what's with this "mods" business...as if anyone else other than ME is gonna bother shifting threads around in the FAC...grumble grumble

Speaking of nicknames, we used to have more nicknames than a 1st grade classroom back in the service. Mine was 'Speedy' (and was intended as a cut on my generally ADHD manner). At home we sometimes refer to Junior as "Messy Jessie"
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Growing up I never really had a family nickname so when I was about 7 or 8 I asked for one. They came up with Sparky. My brother still calls me that.

Nicknames for my little furry loved ones include:

Chicken-lips
    Turkey-toes
    Spaghetti
    Fenny-benny
    Kooky malooky

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    My dad called me Lefty. I miss that.

I call my son Nicho. Among Colombians it is a term of endearment for a child, meaning a spring of water, so it is like calling him "Squirt." But he only lets me call him "Nicho." One of his cousins called him that and he got mad, saying that only Papa gets to call me "Nicho."

I had a girlfriend I called "Sweetness." At the beginning of the relationship it was a term of endearment. Toward the end it became a bit ironic.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    My father called me "Bersky"
    RT doesn't have an official pet name but I often call her "Chiquita" for a long time, though she's taller than me now.
    My partner's nickname is "Chilote" which means baby corn in Spanish.
    The baby's nickname from her dad is "Cosa Chula" which means cute thing, some of the other family members call her "Arandela" which means washer woman in Spanish and is a play on her actual name.

Nicknames are an art form in my partner's family. One of my favorites is Bebe Leche (Milk Baby) because he was 7-8 years old when he came to the U.S. and drank milk non-stop because he liked it so much. He's 42 now and they still call him that
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2002
    My girlfriend from college and I called each other "pup." There's a story behind that.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Because it's ensconsed in family lore, I know that when I was tiny, my dad called me "Sugarfoot", "Skedunk", and "Sissyboo". I've never tried to figure those out.

My kid calls me "Sir". I guess just to irritate me. I used to call him "Sport", "Short Stuff", and "Sweet Pea" until he was maybe 8 and demanded I stop it.

RJ sometimes calls me by my last name, which I find kind of endearing, since in one of my favorite novel series, the protagonist's hubby always calls her by her last name, Peabody. Unless they're being romantic. Oh, RJ does the same thing. Otherwise, he calls me "Firecracker" or "You Knucklehead".

I have my names for RJ. "Pool Boy" is the most frequent, "Hunky" sometimes, and I won't disclose the others....

We have a very large male cat named Tigger. So of course his nickname is "Bigger". He's cool with that.

OH, and after what ofos said the other day, I may start referring to RJ and the kid as "Boob One" and "Boob Two"...
    Last edited by Zoning Goddess; 13 Jun 2012 at 9:17 PM. Reason: boobs

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    OH, and after what ofos said the other day, I may start referring to RJ and the kid as "Boob One" and "Boob Two"...
    Glad to be of assistance. Give Boob One my best.

No nicknames in my family. The family surname generates enough snide remarks on it's own so no need for nicknames.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    My nickname at soccer and summer camps (only which is weird) was Chips

As a little kid I was called Motor Mouth - I am sure you are shocked

My Dad called people in general Mac if he didn't know their name

We call our second daughter Buggy - it started out as LadyBug because she looked like a ladybug all swaddled up in the hospital when she was born and then it grew into Bug - she loves bugs and wild things so it fits and she likes it

Our eldest we call Peanut and our little guy is Gnomey for the same reason of hospital observations at birth...

My husband and I call each other boop, boopus, boopalator, boopmonster as a joke from our dating days

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Our dogs have always had nicknames and they know them.

Roscoe was "the Roscinator" or "Rosco-roonie".
    Sukros was "Barky", "Baby Girl", or simply my "Sweetheart". (sniff, I miss my girl.)

Luke is "Little Dog" or sometimes "Little Big Dog". When we got him Mrs. Cardinal wanted a small-ish dog. I had a feeling Luke would get bigger, as he was 25 pounds at 4-5 months, so I gave him the nickname. That way Mrs. Cardinal got her wish for a "Little Dog".
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2008

My husband and I call each other boop, boopus, boopalator, boopmonster as a joke from our dating days
    That's true love right there.

You say it's as a joke, but we know you like it LP.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2005
    Our dog's name is Maximus.

We call him:

Max
    Maxi
    Maxipad
    Maximillian
    Maxwell
    Old Dirt McGirt
    Dirt Paws McGraw

The last two started out as amusement for my oldest daughter when she was smaller.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I called my one little kitty, "Rat Canoe" today. I kinda like it.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Daughter #1 - Boo

Daughter #2 - Tinky or Abbeep

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    That's true love right there.

You say it's as a joke, but we know you like it LP.
    yes other people don't understand it - they think it's from Betty Boop, but it's not - it's a much sillier story

having a nickname that's private is one of those many little things that bonds a couple I think

Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Our dog's name is Maximus.
    That is an AWESOME name for a dog! My friend has a dog named Nero so that would be a perfect companion!

Registered
    Jan 2006
    My nickname at soccer and summer camps (only which is weird) was Chips

As a little kid I was called Motor Mouth - I am sure you are shocked

My Dad called people in general Mac if he didn't know their name

We call our second daughter Buggy - it started out as LadyBug because she looked like a ladybug all swaddled up in the hospital when she was born and then it grew into Bug - she loves bugs and wild things so it fits and she likes it

Our eldest we call Peanut and our little guy is Gnomey for the same reason of hospital observations at birth...

I am known simply as 'Monster'

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I call my beta Dinosaur Fish
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

We have an overweight tuxedo cat with some unusual habits named Chester, for a patch of black hair amidst his white chest. Among his nicknames are:

Chet
    Cheddar
    Che-Boy
    Che-Star
    Clarence
    Big Man
    Nut Job
    Psycho

And when he bites my nose I call him a$$hole!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My wife is amazingly good at nicknames.

Our dog - named Parker has evolved into...

Parker
    Parks
    Park
    Parkerbitty
    Bitty
    Bittle

Not sure how we moved from Parker to Bittle....

She also has a million nicknames for our kids. I stick with names (with added letters) or buddy.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    Our dog is Named Jack:
    Jackels
    Jackadoo(dle)
    Doodle
    Jacksteroni

Our cat is named Black Kitty (hey, my son named him when he was 4…):
    BK
    BK Broiler (especially when he’s bad)
    Beeks
    Professor Puffy Pants (he’s a long hair)
    Senor Fussy Pants
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 31
    Last post: 18 Jun 2013, 11:51 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 20 Feb 2013, 3:39 PM
  3. Replies: 99
    Last post: 21 Jan 2010, 12:33 PM
  4. Developer nicknames
    Friday Afternoon Club