Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: EIA course necessary?

Registered
    Sep 2011

EIA course necessary?

I'm in my 4th year of a B.A w/Geography major. EIA isn't mandatory, but will it give me a better foundation for when I go to Planning school? From what other students tell me, EIA is a challenging course, information dense, and "you'll probably get a B". Or I can take the easy way out and take a bird course

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by angela89 View post
    I'm in my 4th year of a B.A w/Geography major. EIA isn't mandatory, but will it give me a better foundation for when I go to Planning school? From what other students tell me, EIA is a challenging course, information dense, and "you'll probably get a B". Or I can take the easy way out and take a bird course
    If you are starving for long enough from looking for planning work, you'll start to think about whether you should take an "environmental" "planning" job in AB or maybe down here in an oil patch state. EIA will get you to that point where your application won't end up in the recycle bin.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    If you want to be a planner why would you not want to take class relevant to planning because it's "challenging" and take a completely unrelated "bird" course?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by angela89 View post
    . EIA isn't mandatory, but will it give me a better foundation for when I go to Planning school? From what other students tell me, EIA is a challenging course, information dense, and "you'll probably get a B". Or I can take the easy way out and take a bird course
    Answer to your question - Yes, it might change/improve your perspective on issues.
    I took an EIS class - one of the better classes I ever took. It was taught by an Adjunct Prof who had 20+ yrs experience on EIS teams. Grading was based on both individual and team efforts/projects. We did not have to write a fully researched/documented EIS but more on the process, elements, and types of disciplines involved.
    Must have been memorable because I took it over 21 yrs ago.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread