Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Would you buy a 2012 Saab?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Would you buy a 2012 Saab?

Looks like the last batch of Saabs shipped to the United States, which have been sitting at ports in New Jersey and California for the past several months, are finally going to be sold.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...of-disco-saab/

Would you buy a brand new car, without a warranty, from a manufacturer that is no longer in existence? How much would you pay for a new Saab 9-3, if you had the chance?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    No. I'm under the impression most new cars come with some sort of warranty which will cover most repairs for a set number of years/miles. If there is no warranty you would be paying out of pocket for repairs which would be free otherwise. Unless they were discounted heavily enough to reflect this I wouldn't consider it.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Would you buy a brand new car, without a warranty, from a manufacturer that is no longer in existence? How much would you pay for a new Saab 9-3, if you had the chance?
    Yes, No, currently driving one - Saturn, wouldn't.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I actually really like the last couple model years of the Saabs and was sad to see the brand go away. Once they were sold off from GM, and they still had plans to make cars and remain a viable brand, they had announced that their North American HQ would be in a location about 5 miles from my house. I thought that was sort of cool and then looked up the exact location and saw that it was a 15,000 sqft factory/warehouse in a very non-nondescript light industrial area and had a feeling that they wouldn't be sticking around too long.

Would I buy one of the last remaining Saabs? If I could get a good enough deal on it I would. $10k maybe for a fully loaded one... I know enough engineers at GM and I'm sure they still have quite a few GM components on them that getting things fixed, especially in the Detroit area, would not be an issue at all. If the discount was steep enough, you could always still go out and buy an aftermarket warranty if you were that concerned. My biggest worry with getting one would be that they have just been sitting at the ports for a few months - just sitting there without the engine being turned over or the wheels rotated can be very brutal on a vehicle.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    The answer is yes... but I would wait until 2014 to buy one. By then, someone has taken the depreciation and all the potential bugs have been worked out.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    40% off MSRP and the ability to buy an aftermarket warrenty for a few grand...yeah I would consider it but so will thousands of other people.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    As a guy who loves Saabs... I would say no.

Who knows if they'll go the way of the DoDo soon...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004
    No way in heck would I buy one. Saab was purchased from GM from an OEM (supplier). A supplier may know how to build specific parts, but putting it all together into an assembled product and warrantying it, is a totally different skillset.

Registered
    May 2005
    I've heard nothing but bad things about Saabs in the recent past. I know three people with Saabs from 2000 on and they all grumble about them.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by zman View post
    Who knows if they'll go the way of the DoDo soon...
    A few weeks ago, I saw a Peugeot 505 wagon on the streets of this town. I wonder if Saabs will be as rare of a sight 25 years from now. Oldsmobiles and Plymouths are already becoming unusual sights; I hardly ever see them here, but in Buffalo there's still quite a few on the roads, but you can tell they're out of the ordinary.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'd pass. Not worth the trouble...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    A few weeks ago, I saw a Peugeot 505 wagon on the streets of this town. I wonder if Saabs will be as rare of a sight 25 years from now. Oldsmobiles and Plymouths are already becoming unusual sights; I hardly ever see them here, but in Buffalo there's still quite a few on the roads, but you can tell they're out of the ordinary.
    I was thinking the same thing when I saw a Datsun 210 wagon the other day.

Honestly, I wish I still had my 1982 Saab 900 Turbo, fun car and an absolute BEAST in the snow.
    But, drunk Hungarians who fixed the tranny (my grandfather and his friends), along with Douglas County field mice chewing through some wiring sent it to its doom.

Before I bought my Accord a couple weeks ago, I looked at a lot of used Saabs. Sort of a quirky, non-conformist car.
    They break a lot, especially after GM started meddling, but they have loyal fans willing to shell out the bucks for common, but expensive fixes.
    There are still a number of Saab-only repair shops in Colorado.

Despite the Accord being so popular and common, it is one of the best cars I have owned.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

My sister bought a new 2009 Saab (convertible sport model, 9 something or other), and is now having trouble finding replacement parts. She adores the car but can't afford to be tied up with it down and out for future repairs/waiting on parts, so she plans on selling it soon. Me -- no, I wouldn't purchase one mostly for the reason my sister is experiencing.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 01 Apr 2013, 9:03 PM
  2. Who is in for 2012?
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 77
    Last post: 14 Aug 2012, 2:01 PM
  3. AICP May 2012
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 44