Urban planning community

Poll results: local preference?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes we do, HUD discriminates under Sec 8, so we can too, so there

0 0%
  • Yes we do it becasue I said so

0 0%
  • Yes we do it but for a more intelligent reason (see below)

1 16.67%
  • No, it's discriminatory under FHA

0 0%
  • No, it's a PITA to administrate

0 0%
  • No it violates everything! Avast ye mates!

0 0%
  • No, but for a more intelligent reason

0 0%
  • I have no idea wth you are talking about

1 16.67%
  • Why do you hate America

1 16.67%
  • I don't do housing, never, ever

1 16.67%
  • LP, really?

2 33.33%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: pfft, is this mic on? all Texas and Illinois planners please check in here pfft pfft

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

pfft, is this mic on? all Texas and Illinois planners please check in here pfft pfft

I have a question to ask...

I got the California perspective from the Raf, but I want 2 other states...

Here is the question:

there are cities/towns in your respective state that have local preference in affordable housing projects - that is, you set aside a certain percentage of units for folks who reside and/or work in the community -

take the poll and explain below

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I'm neither Texas nor Illinois, but FWIW, requiring inclusionary housing is illegal in Oregon. We do trade for it in the PUD process however.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hmm, that's a good question. Right now, the only box I'm allowed to think about is so boringly focused on existing historic housing, and I am punished for paying attention to anyone else's agenda. This town does have some history in affordable housing, but I don't know the details off the top of my head.

Let me take a look around and get back to you/the poll.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I've personally used them when negotiating a PUD, and also as a negotiated requirement of a consent & development agreement to create a special district (MUD, WCID, etc.). We had a comprehensive plan goal to promote affordable/attainable housing along with a goal to mix incomes & housing types to avoid concentrations of poverty and discourage displacement through gentrification.

I've never tackled inclusionary housing as a stated ordinance requirement--mine have always been in the context of a negotiation for some type of agreement. I've seen some cities that have created specific minimum requirements for PUDs & special district consents that contain an affordability standard. In the case of Austin, I've also seen them used as a requirement to utilize an alternative regulatory scheme. Austin has tried to deal with gentrification/displacement issues via a number of avenues, and would be an excellent resource. In fact, when it comes to this topic I would recommend contacting the City of Austin Planning Department. You can PM me for a contact person. She won't necessarily know the answer, but she is very responsive and can get you to the right person.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 06 Mar 2009, 2:50 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 07 Feb 2008, 2:17 PM
  3. Texas planners (parkland zoning)
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Apr 2007, 3:38 PM
  4. Replies: 24
    Last post: 20 Jun 2006, 7:53 PM