Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why SC is going to Hell

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Why SC is going to Hell

Some people who stopped in to get a permit were talking about this. I thought it was BS so I had to look it up.

Grieving Mother, Billed For Cleanup After Son Killed By Undocumented Drunk Driver
    Link

This is the part that was the most insane....
    But the still-grieving mother, Loretta Robinson, is now being billed for the various charges associated with the accident, including a $50 charge to clean her son's blood off the road.
    If her son was not at fault, the illegal immigrant who did not have a drivers licence pleaded guilty, then why is she being charge for someone to go out and clean the blood from her dead son off the road? I don't think I would have handled that bill so well.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Some people who stopped in to get a permit were talking about this. I thought it was BS so I had to look it up.

Link

This is the part that was the most insane....

If her son was not at fault, the illegal immigrant who did not have a drivers licence pleaded guilty, then why is she being charge for someone to go out and clean the blood from her dead son off the road? I don't think I would have handled that bill so well.
    Not surprised at all and think that it's more common than we believe. When my mother passed in 2003 she was living on social security disability and I paid for half her housing cost so she could age in place. She was low income enough to receive a partial food stamp benefit for the year and a half before she passed away. After she passed and her estate was probated the state of Oregon was kind enough to send me a bill asking to be reimbursed for the amount of food stamps they had paid out. I called, asked if I had to pay and they said well they just try and recoup costs in general from estates but if there wasn't anything left they wouldn't pursue a claim.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Yeah, I've heard of police refusing to clean up crime scenes or just billing the victim's family before. Think the only expectation you really have is that the coroner will take the body away from the scene. Everything else has the potential to fall on the victim's family.

Registered
    May 2002
    I would not pay this bill, even if it cost me jail time. It's crap like this that will lead to the revolution.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What the hell ???????????
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 23 Jan 2006, 11:03 AM
  2. Replies: 40
    Last post: 18 Sep 2005, 1:07 AM
  3. Why the NRA is going to hell.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 19 Apr 2005, 4:59 PM