Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Are we alone? The UFO thread

Registered
    Apr 2003

Are we alone? The UFO thread

This morning I log into my non-work e-mail and I see an advertisement for a new TV show, Chasing UFO’s on the National Geographic Channel.

It got me thinking about all the controversy over do they exist? How long have they been here? Do they live amongst us? Is Dennis Rodman really from this planet?

What say you? Do you think we are alone?

I personally don't think we are, and I think that the government has known about it for many many decades, if not longer.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    If one has not seen a UFO then it is a matter of believing or not believing. I have personally observed a UFO. It is therefore not an article of faith for me. Do I know definitively what it was I saw? No, but I have a high degree of confidence concerning what it wasn't. We are not alone in the universe.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I am assuming we are talking about extraterrestrial life and not unexplained terrestial phenomena.

I do believe there is life on other planets. Given the immensity of the universe with all its galaxies, solar systems and planets, I believe life exists on other planet and that there are lifeforms as advanced or more advanced than life on this planet.

I am unconvinced they are visiting us. Once again, given the imensity of the universe with all its glaxies, solar systems and planets, it is hard to believe an advanced species is schlepping all the way to the suburbs of the Milky Way for a drive-by. They are going to want to get out, stretch their legs (provided they have legs, or tenacles, or whatever), air the ship out (cuz you know those interstellar flights must get a little close and deodorant can only do so much), talk to some people, catch up on the news (see what Lindsay Lohan has been up to) and maybe hit Walmart for supplies.

We do not know if there really is a physical speed limit. If 186,000 mps is as fast as you can go, then travel between star systems becomes nearly impossible unless a species is incredibly long-lived and very patient. If it isn't the ultimate speed limit or some other way is found to travel immense distances in a relatively short span of time, then who know?
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    To me it seems very unlikely we're alone in the universe. It also doesn't seem that unlikely that aliens have visited Earth either. Stuff we may deem scientifically impossible now (like faster-than-light travel) might possible with exponentially more time spent making scientific advancements. Humans have only been around for a short amount time.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Even though the line is from a movie, I believe that, given the vast expanse of the universe, it would be an aweful waste of space if we were the only ones here. I also think that our civilization is far to infant to really be a concern to other, more advanced, civilizations.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    What say you? Do you think we are alone?
    I have no doubt in the existence of UFOs. By their name, they are unidentified flying objects. An individual recognizes something in the sky, but can't recognize exactly what it is. It's unidentified. It doesn't mean it is an alien spacecraft. It could be two swallows flying side-by-side carrying a coconut.

As for whether we are alone or not, I have no reason to believe that in a galaxy of billions of stars with billions more planets in a universe of billions more galaxies that there is no life other than earth. By our very existence the math shows that a large number (not percentage) of planets in the universe should have not only life, but intelligent life. Have they visited? Concrete evidence is weak and I have to say no.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    May 2005
    I had a related conversation with my 11 year-old son the other day. Kind of blew my mind. We had seen this PBS program about the Theory of Relativity. If the theory holds, apparently, it means that the universe, which appears to be expanding, will eventually begin to contract again as the gravitational pull of its collective mass would prevent endless expansion. A counter view says that it will never contract, that it will always expand and that, eventually, all matter will tear apart and become less and less dense (I guess you could call this the Sprawl Theory of the universe).

But lets just say that it will contract and that the whole issue with the Big Bang is that this was the result of the last contraction/smashing together of matter in an endless cycle. That is, it was the result of a previously expanding universe eventually contracting and smashing together to create the current explosion whose wave we are now riding. The idea here is that we are constantly riding this expansion, followed by a contraction, a crashing together and another explosion. Over and over again. If so, our existence is what is able to happen between explosions/collisions of the universe’s matter (which takes a long long time)

Given that, I could see that not only is it possible that there are other forms of life out there on other planetary masses, but that over the entire existence of time there may have been other forms of life that evolved, developed, then were destroyed upon contraction, only to fuel a new explosion and opportunity for life to develop elsewhere.

Whether other life forms are able or even interested in exploring the universe or have discovered us, I don’t know. I don’t see any compelling evidence to suggest that is the case. But I do believe that it is very likely that there is life on other planets.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

The problem is two fold. First, there is an extremely narrow range and set of conditions in which could evolve. Vary a minute bit, and the whole thing falls apart. We forget how incredibly complex any form of life is, especiallly on the cellular level. The margin for error is basically zip. Add to this advancing to point where you could build a space craft. We forget, this planet nearly blew itself to radioactive dust more than once. Second, the distances involve in instellar space are really mind blowing. We aren't near anything in our own solar system, let alone the vastness of the cosmos.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Yes, I believe we are not alone. "Waste of space," probability, etc. like others have mentioned.

I believe there are likely many other worlds with advanced life forms like us. I believe their level of advancement varies, with some being less technologically advanced than us while others are more advanced. Given that, I believe it is possible that such civilizations, through their journey of scientific discovery, have developed interstellar travel capabilities capable of overcoming restrictions of travel distance based on the speed of light as a peak. I believe that such civilizations are capable of monitoring technological advancements of other civilizations from great distances, which spark their interest. I believe they likely share our interests in the study of other species less advanced than they are as scientific study. As a result, it is plausible that scouts from these civilizations have visited Earth, resulting in UFO phenomenon and 'abductions.' I believe the government has knowledge of such visits, and has chosen to keep such information secret for a variety of reasons.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2004
    I find it hard to believe that we aren't alone in the universe.

Kind of expanding on wahday's post - It always blows my mind when I ponder if the universe is ever epanding or fixed. How can it be infinite? How can it have an end to it? How can it be at all? Holy smokes!
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Dudes...

We are ALL just an experiment of an advanced species...

This is why they come to visit, they are checking on us...

There are also aliens that have been planted and walk among us, to observe and take notes...

I dont know why this isnt apparent to everyone...

You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    ...... Second, the distances involve in instellar space are really mind blowing. We aren't near anything in our own solar system, let alone the vastness of the cosmos.
    That is why I don't believe we've ever been visited.

However, I also believe we are not alone in the universe.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I say if we are not alone, we should be glad for the vastness of space....when/if they come it probably won't be to borrow a cup of sugar or bring "new neighbor brownies" you know?

I mean, what do you think WE would do? I'm going to say if we were able, given our history, the likely mode of our first appearance on the interstellar scene would be best described as "sneak attack". I hope we're alone.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I believe there are things flying that a most people cannot identify but they are not from other worlds.

If a race has mastered the ability to travel great distances of time and space and want to go undetected... don't you think they would be smart enough to turn off the lights on their spacecraft?
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I say we are not alone. First of all, there is the evidence of us. If we exist, it is possible that life exists elsewhere in the universe. Given the billions and billions of stars it is highly likely that there are planets circling other stars with the proper conditions for life. I have little doubt there is life elsewhere.

As for having been or being visited by life from another planet, I think it is highly unlikely for the reasons other have mentioned.

And if we visited another planet, I am sure we would greet the natives and take whatever we wanted from them if they were weaker than we are, and kill them if they resisted . Think 1492 and thereafter. It is the most likely model. Of course, it would all be in the name of bringing them the benefits of Christianity.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Somebody show me a non-sketchy video of a UFO and I might be a believer. Maybe this new Nat. Geographic show will provide that, but I've seen so many crummy and unconvincing UFO shows over the years to remain skeptical.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    We keep looking to the sky. What if . . . what if ... these UFOs are just an elaborate subterfuge to distract us from the real threat . . . an invasion from below . . . . . .What if it is the Mole People we have to worry about?

Their tiny soulless eyes . . . . . . their musty, mossy smell . . . . . . Their insatiable lust for our women . . . . . . And they eat worms . . .

Don't be fooled. They are really pissed we bury our nuclear waste underground. It has only made them stronger.

Ask yourself the next time you see a pale person with sunglasses: Goth or Mole Man scout?
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think some folks in here smoke entirely too much pot..

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I don't think we are alone in the universe, either, and I include what we like to call "intelligent" life in that.
    • Our star, the Sun, is incredibly ordinary, so there are billions pretty much just like it.
    • The hydrocarbon molecules that form the basis for life as we know exist throughout the universe, and are fairly common.
    • Life on earth has been very opportunistic, dramatically adaptive, and incredibly resilient.
    • What we consider intelligence even on earth is very diverse, and many, if not most higher animals like mammals and birds, have the ability to learn and pass that learning on to the next generation. That says it's a common ability not a rare one.
    • Many mammals, especially primates, also develop complex social structures, so creating societies would be very common as well.

Have we been visited by aliens? Possibly. I don't know that we'd actually know they came, and most likely they could find out everything they wanted to know about us without actually entering into the Earth's atmosphere -- or even the solar system itself.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Given that, I could see that not only is it possible that there are other forms of life out there on other planetary masses, but that over the entire existence of time there may have been other forms of life that evolved, developed, then were destroyed upon contraction, only to fuel a new explosion and opportunity for life to develop elsewhere.
    Not exactly your contraction scenario, but in the same vein, I'm sure many of my fellow planning geeks have read Arthur C Clarke's "The Star":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star_(short_story)

I got goosebumps the first time I read it.

When you think about Earth's history, and consider the timelines of the universe, other galaxies, etc., it would be absolutely ridiculous to dismiss the possibility of intelligent life elsewhere. There may be civilizations that have been developing scientifically for hundreds of millions of years to whom our scientific advancements would seem primitive. Have any of them visited us? I won't believe it until I see proof.

Of course, there will always be those who think "God" made Earth the center of the universe and we're "special", and will never believe it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 07 Jan 2013, 10:49 PM
  2. Thread thread attention split
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 May 2012, 4:35 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 3:41 PM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last post: 18 Oct 2006, 4:13 PM