Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Title of degree

Registered
    Jun 2012

Title of degree

Hey all - I'm new to the forums so I hope this is in the right place!

I'm about to go into my last year of my bachelor's program and I've begun looking at grad schools. My top choices at this point are U of British Columbia, UW-Madison, and U of Minnesota. My question is about the title of degrees. If I were to go to UBC, I would get a Master of Arts (my understanding is that you get an MA or MSc depending on whether you have a BA or BS). UW and U of M both award professional degrees for their urban planning programs (MURPs at both, I think). Is there a difference in employability between planning degrees that are MAs, MSs, or professional degrees? Obviously the concentration and the school you attend play an important role; how important is the title of one's degree relative to these variables?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    The degree name is of no importance. That difference may matter in some fields but not in planning.

Registered
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    The degree name is of no importance. That difference may matter in some fields but not in planning.
    Well that's a straightforward answer. Thanks!

Registered
    May 2005
    I agree that I have never seen anyone give much credence or weight to the particular planning degree one has, so long as it is accredited. FTR, I have an MCRP...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 2:17 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 May 2009, 5:29 PM
  3. What is your title?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 60
    Last post: 13 Oct 2006, 3:30 PM
  4. New Title