Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Defining “blight”

Registered
    Feb 2003

Defining “blight”

Anyone have any good (official) language defining “blight”?
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    The now defunct California redevelopment agency legislation had a definition....I think. Sorry, I don't have a link. But look at the APA-CAL Section web site. They have links.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    what happened to the FLA def RJ? I looked in the statutes, but could not find...
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Aug 2001
    You want to be very careful in how you define this. I would reference a definition in a state statute, if at all possible. If not, look at how it is defined at the federal level. Disputes about "blight" often involve legal challenges. Adopting a recognized definition is going to provide some safe cover for the municipality if it has to defend its actions or decisions.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    I wish everyone would retire that word and use the term, "visual pollution", instead.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Pragmatic Idealist View post
    I wish everyone would retire that word and use the term, "visual pollution", instead.
    And that is why you want to be careful in defining the term. Blight can have meaning beyond simply looking bad - and it should when "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". The legal definitions of blight usually put the emphasis on function, such as obsolescence, structural quality, safety, inadequate infrastructure, platting, etc.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    The now defunct California redevelopment agency legislation had a definition....I think. Sorry, I don't have a link. But look at the APA-CAL Section web site. They have links.
    Under the current blight definition, a blighted area is one that is predominantly
    urbanized and in which the following four components are met:
    1. The combination of statutorily enumerated conditions (which contribute to
    blight) are prevalent and substantial.
    2. The above conditions are the cause of a reduction or lack of proper utilization
    of an area.
    3. The area constitutes a serious physical and economic burden on the community.
    4. That burden cannot reasonably be expected to be reversed by private and/or
    governmental action, without redevelopment.
    Blight must be prevalent and substantial in the project area, not merely character
    istic of the project area...

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Huck View post
    Under the current blight definition, a blighted area is one that is predominantly
    urbanized and in which the following four components are met:
    1. The combination of statutorily enumerated conditions (which contribute to
    blight) are prevalent and substantial.
    2. The above conditions are the cause of a reduction or lack of proper utilization
    of an area.
    3. The area constitutes a serious physical and economic burden on the community.
    4. That burden cannot reasonably be expected to be reversed by private and/or
    governmental action, without redevelopment.
    Blight must be prevalent and substantial in the project area, not merely character
    istic of the project area...
    That sort of definition is how pols game the system for their buddies-benefactors-sponsors.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    That sort of definition is how pols game the system for their buddies-benefactors-sponsors.
    Yup. A lot of subjectivity. "This block of homes doesn't properly utilize the land. It would be much better served by a strip mall." That's essentially how downtown San Diego was redeveloped. As well as some areas of Southeast San Diego.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Foreclosures force suburbs to fight blight
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 14 Jan 2009, 4:50 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 30 Aug 2005, 2:06 PM
  3. Urban blight and social isolation
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 65
    Last post: 06 Jun 2005, 5:07 PM