Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Community level employment information

Registered
    Apr 2006

Community level employment information

I am trying to get a firm handle on my community’s workforce. I have a strong handle on the number of jobs, the companies and what sectors they play in. Since my city is an affluent bedroom community we have many high paid professionals that leave to work throughout the metro area and I want to know what sectors they work in to better convey the workforce available both in my city and the surrounding area.

By workforce I mean those that live in the area but work either in the city or in another city in the metro area and get that quantified by the 6th digit SOC but I would settle for NAICS codes at this point. I can find the data for the entire MSA but not my community specificly through ACS. When I consult ERSI, EMSI and their peers I get the jobs in my community which is not the data set I am seeking.

Does anyone know what database or source I could find this information? Any help, thoughts or referrals would be greatly appreciated.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Brocktoon, your best bet would be the Local Employment Dynamics (LED) program, a collaboration between the Census Burea and state labor market information agencies. Start here. On the Map (listed on the left hand side under Tools) will provide what you are seeking.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Brocktoon, your best bet would be the Local Employment Dynamics (LED) program, a collaboration between the Census Burea and state labor market information agencies. Start here. On the Map (listed on the left hand side under Tools) will provide what you are seeking.
    Thank you, Mud Princess!!! I have no idea where this has been all my life. Next time you are in AZ the first round is one me!
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Oct 2010, 2:54 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Apr 2008, 3:19 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 05 Mar 2007, 1:17 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 01 Jun 2006, 3:18 PM