Urban planning community

Poll results: Would you rather be liked or respected?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm female and would rather be liked.

1 3.03%
  • I'm male and would rather be liked.

4 12.12%
  • I'm female and would rather be respected.

4 12.12%
  • I'm male and would rather be respected.

16 48.48%
  • I don't care what other's think.

6 18.18%
  • I do not wish to disclose my feelings towards America.

2 6.06%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Liked or respected?

Registered
    Aug 2005

Liked or respected?

So, would you rather be liked or respected and why?

Disregard the typo in the poll.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    In the book Love and Respect, the author notes that in relationships, women are more likely to want to be loved and men are more likely to want to be respected. Apparently it is almost hardwired into us.

BTW, the book is a MUST READ for anyone in a relationship. It really changed and improved my marriage.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jan 2005
    It depends on the environment. Personally, I don't really care what people think about me generally. In the workplace I don't strive to be liked, but I do expect respect. I would like to think that if I had to pick one I would rather be respected, but that would be a pretty boring life.

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive and therefore am voting for both.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    I chose being liked. I think that being liked is the first step towards being respected.

I don't believe in the notion that you can be respeted, but not liked.

Now being "feared". That's a whole nother ballgame.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I'd much prefer to be respected than liked. I don't particularly care what people think about me but I do try not to justify any negative feelings someone might have toward me. I know many people who don't care either but they come off as jerks; I try to avoid that.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    If I'm being honest I have to say it's consistently more important to me that I be liked. I'm always going for "adored" but will settle for "liked".

I think respect is harder to get, easier to lose, and almost impossible to regain once lost. Seems like a slippery commodity if you ask me.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    No respect. I don't get no respect at all. My father carried around the picture of the kid who came with his wallet. (thanks, Rodney)

I hold civility in high regard. You don't have to like me, but at least treat me like you do.

As for respect, if I treasured being respected, I sure picked the wrong profession.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2004
    I tend to agree that these two things are nto exclusive of one another, so I chose not to disclose my feelings about America. If for the purposes of this question you make the two mutually exclusive it is indeed an interesting question.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    "Is it better to be feared or loved?...I want people to fear how much they love me." -Michael Scott
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I don't believe the two have to be mutually exclusive, but having to choose just one I'd much rather be respected than liked. I am a woman that develops real estate, it's mostly a sausage fest but I've claimed a toehold in my small market.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Is being liked as a person better/higher than being respected as a professional ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Is being liked as a person better/higher than being respected as a professional ?
    Absolutely. That's why I would rather be liked than respected. For instance one may grudgingly respect the apparent success that some talking head on Fox has achieved, but at the same time regard them as a despicable excuse for a human being with no conscience. That said, we tend to respect the people we like far more often than those we dont - they're not necessarily mutually excusive.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    I'm surprised at the # of males who want to be respected.

Is this perhaps due to some deep, biological need to be seen as the head of the pack?
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I'm surprised at the # of males who want to be respected.

Is this perhaps due to some deep, biological need to be seen as the head of the pack?
    As of right now of those who answered this way 80 percent of the females want to be respected while only 76 percent of the males. Considering the small sample size and other outliers (don't care & america haters), its non that much different.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2010
    I chose respected. I think a lot of that has to do with my age; I see this as a point in my life where I am trying to be successful. Respect will serve that purpose more than being liked.

Also, someone may not particularly like me, but that doesn't mean they outright dislike me either. I tend to have a somewhat guarded personality, so it wouldn't surprise me to find out a number of people don't like me (if for no other reason because they just don't know me all that well).

When I get the impression someone does not respect me, it gets under my skin way way more and I am very likely going to dislike that individual.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    How come "I want to be worshiped" is not a choice?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm a male and I no longer participate in polls.

+ Reply to thread