Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The generic Top 10 and Bottom 10 list

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

The generic Top 10 and Bottom 10 list

Just copy, paste, and insert into a list of cities with a certain attribute. They're all the same.

Top 10 cities for .... something. Biking, singles, restaurant scene, green careers, raising kids, whatever.

1. Portland, Oregon
    2. Austin, Texas
    3. Denver, Colorado
    4, San Francisco, California
    5. New York, New York
    6. Chicago, Illinois
    7. Minneapolis, Minnesota
    8. Washington, DC
    9. Boston, Massachusetts
    10. Seattle, Washington.

Bottom 10 cities

91. Stockton, California
    92. McAllen, Texas
    93. Flint, Michigan
    94. Laredo, Texas
    95. Modesto, California
    96. Corpus Christi, Texas
    97. Bakersfield, California
    98. Detroit, Michigan
    99. Yuma, Arizona
    100, Fresno, California
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Sad.... but a large kernel of truth to this.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    There's quite a bit in common with the bottom 10 list as well. The only one that seems somewhat off to me is Corpus Christi.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Raleigh-Durham makes many of the top lists too....there are running jokes around here we are on so many
    Last edited by beach_bum; 02 Jul 2012 at 3:55 PM.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    100. Fresno, California
    Time to bring out the Anne Heche quote on Fresno:

"Fresno was the culmination of a journey. Of a world that I thought I needed to escape to in order to find love. So in the pain I think what triggered the pain of my breakup with Ellen, was a bottoming out of 'there's no love here, I'm going to go get love.'"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Just Googling around, I see Fresno at a prominent location -- usually at or close to the top -- of lists for:

* Worst-managed city
    * Most toxic city
    * Most auto thefts
    * Worst city for employment
    * Americas drunkest city
    * Most polluted city
    * Worst concentrated poverty in the US
    * Worst city for dating/singles
    * Worst city for skin
    * Worst city for allergies
    * Worst park system in the country
    * Most unemployed city
    * Worst city to do business
    * Most dangerous place to raise kids
    * Worst speed trap
    * Worst city for men
    * Least intelligent city

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    There's quite a bit in common with the bottom 10 list as well. The only one that seems somewhat off to me is Corpus Christi.
    Sure, one list for "where the wealthiest Americans live" might have New York in the #1 spot and Portland might be #5, and another list for "where the greatest job growth is occurring" might have them listed as #3 or #7. but the only thing that changes a little is maybe the order in which they place in the top 10 or bottom 10 - depending on the category or the year.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Have you been to Corpus Christi? It ain't that far off. The running joke around Texas is that there is nothing wrong with Corpus Christi that a Cat 5 hurricane wouldn't fix. There is nothing going on culturally. It is a shining example that even if you have beaches, you can still suck at parks. It's built environment is downright ugly. And I hope you like Chili's, because that is about your best option for food. It is kind of an industrial wasteland, with the refineries at night nicknamed "The Emerald City." All you really have is a naval base and a bunch of refineries. Even Whataburger abandoned their headquarters there and relocated to San Antonio.

I don't know that I would rank Flint ahead of it, but it certainly belongs in that company.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Looks like a list of "Cites with the Highest %/Lowest % of Yuppies (or Hipsters)".
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jan 2005
    El Paso, TX is the #1 city for rebates. That's gotta count for something

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Have you been to Corpus Christi? It ain't that far off. The running joke around Texas is that there is nothing wrong with Corpus Christi that a Cat 5 hurricane wouldn't fix. There is nothing going on culturally. It is a shining example that even if you have beaches, you can still suck at parks. It's built environment is downright ugly. And I hope you like Chili's, because that is about your best option for food. It is kind of an industrial wasteland, with the refineries at night nicknamed "The Emerald City." All you really have is a naval base and a bunch of refineries. Even Whataburger abandoned their headquarters there and relocated to San Antonio.
    I've been there and certainly wasn't impressed. But unlike the other cities on that list, its local economy hasn't cratered due to all the oil exports. It may be an ugly city but at least it's economically viable. I'd definitely rank it low but not in the bottom 10. I can think of some other cities that should have that distinction like Gary, Indiana.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I've been there and certainly wasn't impressed. But unlike the other cities on that list, its local economy hasn't cratered due to all the oil exports. It may be an ugly city but at least it's economically viable. I'd definitely rank it low but not in the bottom 10. I can think of some other cities that should have that distinction like Gary, Indiana.
    Gary was never nor is it now a major city. Realistically Gary is tied to Chicago even more so than Toledo or Flint are tied to Detroit. Both Flint and Toledo are much larger than Gary.

Detroit is usually on top of crappiest list or on the bottom of best lists.
    Yahoo Finance however ranks Detroit as #7 of the hottest cities for the future. I think however this is more of an admission that things can't get much worse here.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-15...he-future.html
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I read a top ten list last week and can’t find it now, but it talked about Charleston, West Virginia seeing potential economic growth because it’s so cheap to buy property there, retirees will move and buy. I grew up there. In all fairness, I haven’t been back in 10 years, and it has some good things going for it (pretty scenery, outdoorsy stuff to do, moderate weather, some cultural events since it’s the state capital, not too far from other places on the East Coast). But that one really made me question the validity of their top ten list. It’s not a “destination” city. WV as a state is always high on the “least happy” and “highest unemployment” and “unhealthy habits” type of lists.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Gary is part of metro area around Chicago and is hemmed in on all sides, except the lake. That whole area is tied at the hip to Chicago proper and has been for years. While it's another Cyburbs favorite city, it's pretty nasty.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Looks like a list of "Cites with the Highest %/Lowest % of Yuppies (or Hipsters)".
    True, these lists always seem to cater to yuppie tastes. Also, it seems like housing costs are never a factor. When you're paying Manhattan, Boston, or SF rents it kind of limits the stuff you can do unless you have a lot of disposable income.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Fresno has also grown through the years, being economically viable, but remaining a terrible city by Top 10 list standards..

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Generic FAC Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 89
    Last post: 11 Nov 2011, 4:34 PM
  2. Repairing the economy from the bottom up
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 27 Sep 2009, 10:21 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 Sep 2009, 10:10 AM