Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Bottled Water Reality Check

  1. #1
    Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Northwestern Ohio
    Posts
    9,327

    Bottled Water Reality Check

    The following info clearly explains this thread.....

    Today I grabbed a bottled water from one of the conference rooms at the workplace. I was heading to a meeting and I had a bit of a dry mouth thing going. Glad I did. Today's bottle:

    Brand Name: Pure Life
    Bottler: Nestle
    Water Source: Public Water Supply, Greenwood, IN
    _____

    What say your bottle?

    Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

  2. #2
    Cyburbian imaplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Snarkville
    Posts
    6,593
    I generally only grab bottled water when I am out to eat or at a gas station or something and I'm thirsty. If there isn't a local spring water available my preference is Dasani or Aquafina. I believe both of them are sourced from municipal water.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

  3. #3
    Cyburbian otterpop's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Down by Dun Ringill
    Posts
    6,058
    Blog entries
    6
    I skip the middle man and drink from the water fountain. But then again, in the summer I used to drink warm New Orleans tap water (the Mississippi River water that everyone from Townsend, MT to Minnieapolis peed in before it got to the city water plant) from a garden hose in my parent's yard.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

    ~ Otterpop ~

  4. #4
    Cyburbian DetroitPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the weak are killed and eaten.
    Posts
    6,247
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I generally only grab bottled water when I am out to eat or at a gas station or something and I'm thirsty. If there isn't a local spring water available my preference is Dasani or Aquafina. I believe both of them are sourced from municipal water.
    You got it. Aquafina comes from your local Pepsi Bottler while Desani comes from Coke. I doubt they have a magic spring in the industrial subdivision, but they sure have a big pipe to the Municipal Water Plant. I like Aquafina, tastes like tap water, only really cold.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

  5. #5
    Cyburbian Brocktoon's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Promoting synergies...
    Posts
    3,558
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    ... I like Aquafina, tastes like tap water, only really cold.
    The last part is why most people prefer bottled water...because it is cold.

    In Phoenix we get most of our drinking water from the Colordao river which is a few hundred miles to the east. It is moved via open air canal where animals, cars, yard waste and the occasional human body winds up. The amount of treatment it goes through means the water tastes like you are drinking from a swimming pool.

    On the go I get bottle water often and at home I have the 5 gallon jug that I refill from the Water and Ice store.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

  6. #6
    Cyburbian Plus Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,779
    Ours is just "Publix Spring Water". No origin. We have a healthy supply of bottled water since it's hurricane season.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator kjel's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Posts
    9,861
    Blog entries
    5
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    The last part is why most people prefer bottled water...because it is cold.

    In Phoenix we get most of our drinking water from the Colordao river which is a few hundred miles to the east. It is moved via open air canal where animals, cars, yard waste and the occasional human body winds up. The amount of treatment it goes through means the water tastes like you are drinking from a swimming pool.

    On the go I get bottle water often and at home I have the 5 gallon jug that I refill from the Water and Ice store.
    I lived in Phoenix as a child. I remember the foul taste and sediment that was in the water. My mom used to get 5 gallon bottle delivered to the house and rented the dispenser. She was from Oregon and could never stand the water in Phoenix. The only time I buy bottled water is when I am traveling abroad and the local water is questionable. I have been blessed to live in Portland OR and Greenville SC which have great municipal supplies and NJ isn't that bad depending on where you live.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

  8. #8
    Cyburbian Tide's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Gig City
    Posts
    2,657
    Our company HQ has gotten rid of bottled anything. They installed water filters next to the sinks, the under the sink kind and have glass and plastic washable cups hanging up or in the cupboards. With under 100 employees in that building you can do that I guess. They even actively compost everything they can.
    @GigCityPlanner

  9. #9
    Cyburbian Mud Princess's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    4,872
    I've always disliked the idea of bottled water. Why pay for a plastic container of water from somewhere when the quality of the municipal water is pretty good (and there is plenty of it)? ... especially when the water in the bottle is tap water, as with Aquafina!

    It bugs me that bottled water is often served at meetings and conferences, etc. It just creates more plastic waste. Tide, I like your company's approach.

  10. #10
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    10,127
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    The following info clearly explains this thread.....

    Today I grabbed a bottled water from one of the conference rooms at the workplace. I was heading to a meeting and I had a bit of a dry mouth thing going. Glad I did. Today's bottle:

    Brand Name: Pure Life
    Bottler: Nestle
    Water Source: Public Water Supply, Greenwood, IN
    _____

    What say your bottle?

    Bear
    I've been there!!!! Oh wow, I am getting water from somewhere I have been! ....

    I am okay drinking public water from places which have amazing view... i.e. Hawaii, Alaska, etc. Indiana.... not so much...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  11. #11
    And this is what can happen IF your water bottle ends up being recycled: QRS Recycling fire. It took 4 million gallons of water of which roughly 3 million came from the river, via the help of volunteer departments, to get this blaze under control. The fire was roughly 1.5 mi west of my home.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

  12. #12
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,334
    We have a brita filter in the 'frig at home and do fill a few water bottles win that. Mrs. P does buy some local store brand bottled water for car rides/trips. I've been adding the Mio water favoring and propel powder.

    I have a good friend who works for Pepsi and he told me one of their highest profit items in the 20 oz. dasani waters.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  13. #13
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    18,170
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I've been there!!!! Oh wow, I am getting water from somewhere I have been! ....

    I am okay drinking public water from places which have amazing view... i.e. Hawaii, Alaska, etc. Indiana.... not so much...
    You're suggesting that Greenwood, IN does not posess awesome vistas featuring both great natural beauty and sophisticated built environments?!!!!! We'll be the judge of that!


    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  14. #14
    Cyburbian btrage's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    6,420
    We usually buy the bulk Meijer Spring Water.

    When we are out and need something for convenience, I usually just buy what's cheapest.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

  15. #15
    Cyburbian hilldweller's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Land of Confusion
    Posts
    3,740
    I support my local utility authority

  16. #16
    Cyburbian ursus's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Northern Utah
    Posts
    3,986
    When I drink bottled water we get the cheapest which around here is actually spring water from the Wasatch. Local brand called "Mt. Olympus".
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

  17. #17
    Cyburbian Linda_D's avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Jamestown, New York
    Posts
    1,698
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Our company HQ has gotten rid of bottled anything. They installed water filters next to the sinks, the under the sink kind and have glass and plastic washable cups hanging up or in the cupboards. With under 100 employees in that building you can do that I guess. They even actively compost everything they can.
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I've always disliked the idea of bottled water. Why pay for a plastic container of water from somewhere when the quality of the municipal water is pretty good (and there is plenty of it)? ... especially when the water in the bottle is tap water, as with Aquafina!

    It bugs me that bottled water is often served at meetings and conferences, etc. It just creates more plastic waste. Tide, I like your company's approach.
    I'm with Mud Princess. I don't drink bottled water. I put tap water into a pitcher in my sink or fill my own plastic water bottles/jugs with water to take along on trips for the dog (I'm a soda drinker when I travel). I keep both in a cooler with ice packs.

    And I give Tide's company kudos, too. A lot of businesses and individuals talk about "being green" but don't actually do anything "green".
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

  18. #18
    Cyburbian otterpop's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Down by Dun Ringill
    Posts
    6,058
    Blog entries
    6
    Of course Monk liked to drink Sierra Springs bottled water.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

    ~ Otterpop ~

  19. #19
    Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dixie
    Posts
    6,080
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    The following info clearly explains this thread.....

    Today I grabbed a bottled water from one of the conference rooms at the workplace. I was heading to a meeting and I had a bit of a dry mouth thing going. Glad I did. Today's bottle:

    Brand Name: Pure Life
    Bottler: Nestle
    Water Source: Public Water Supply, Greenwood, IN
    _____

    What say your bottle?

    Bear
    Just keep in mind that Indiana is a small/limited government state.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

  20. #20
    Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dixie
    Posts
    6,080
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Just keep in mind that Indiana is a small/limited government state.
    Talked to my aunt yesterday and found out they are getting their water from Lake Michigan.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

  21. #21
    Cyburbian DetroitPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the weak are killed and eaten.
    Posts
    6,247
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Talked to my aunt yesterday and found out they are getting their water from Lake Michigan.
    How is this a bad thing? 100 years ago they reversed the worst polluter, the Chicago River. The water can't be that bad because there are bathing beaches in sight of Gary's Steel Mills. I would suspect that would be the absolute worst place to pull water.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

  22. #22
    Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dixie
    Posts
    6,080
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    How is this a bad thing? 100 years ago they reversed the worst polluter, the Chicago River. The water can't be that bad because there are bathing beaches in sight of Gary's Steel Mills. I would suspect that would be the absolute worst place to pull water.
    The problem is the mills, the refineries, the factories, etc. in the very southern part of the lake. Is it ok to take an occasional dip, sure. I wouldn't dip my canteen in the lake and take a drink out of it, no.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 908
    Last post: 11 Dec 2014, 5:24 PM
  2. Reality TV: what happened?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 30 Jan 2008, 8:35 PM
  3. G*** S*** Reality TV
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 01 Aug 2006, 7:23 PM
  4. Now THIS is reality TV !
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 05 Nov 2003, 5:58 PM