Urban planning community

Poll results: How many cups of coffee do you drink an average a day?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll

5 13.51%

8 21.62%

4 10.81%

1 2.70%
  • 5+

5 13.51%
  • this damned mouse wont hold still long enough for me to click!

3 8.11%
  • I don't like the taste and hence dont drink coffee

5 13.51%
  • You drink coffee and not Coke? You.....hate....America!

4 10.81%
  • Former coffee drinker here

1 2.70%
  • only drink coffee when burning the candle at both ends

1 2.70%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coffee

Registered
    Feb 2004

Coffee

Here’s what I know (or think I know) about coffee:

- It originally came from the middle east about 500 years ago
    - If you’ve never consumed it before, a single cup will make you jittery for hours
    - I usually drink about 4-5 cups these days (and will often get headaches if I don’t drink a couple cups on weekends)
    - Coffee usually smells better than it tastes
    - Smelling coffee may be the only part of the Barnes & Noble shopping experience I enjoy
    - I never drank coffee until I was maybe 19
    - The beverage has a long history of being associated with intellectuals (hence its frequent presence in connection with book stores
    - Truck drivers must have an intellectual bent of some kind
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    I tend to drink coffee more out of a cultural habit than a need for caffeine. I probably average 1-2 cups a day, and there are days when I don't have any.

A few years ago, I gave up coffee for an entire year and it really wan't that hard. I definitely drank more tea during that time.

My wife bought me a Keurig coffee maker last Christmas since she doesn't drink coffee. I drink less coffee at home now because I'm only making one cup at a time, instead of an entire pot. I really like my Keurig.

Our work coffee is kind of bad, or I'd probably drink more.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I drink <1 cups a day on average. My coffee of choice is usually the espresso-based drinks that are really just a giant cup of sugar and fat. I go to Starbucks or Biggby a few times a week (I have slowly been cutting back from my twice a day habit over the last month).

If my in-laws or my parents are visiting however, I will drink a lot of coffee because they always want some so I have to make a pot or two.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I typically drink about 3-4 cups a week. More if I am with my parents.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I aquired the tea habit when I was in the pacific rim and had problems finding good tea when I came back to the world. So I started drinking coffee, 6-8cups a day, and still drink that much, but now with the plethora of oriental shops, I am able to get "good tea" and drink both, and yes I am like the kid on south park

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Never been a regular coffee drinker.

I'll have an occasional iced coffee, but that's about it.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I take my caffeine carbonated (but I love the smell of coffee)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I hate coffee and even the smell, most of the time. The guys in my office drink some kind of coffee that smells like a cross between a rotting corpse and poop. I don't know why anyone would want to stick their nose close to a steaming mug of that, let alone have their breath smell like it.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    My thoughts on coffee:

- I wasn't a coffee drinker until I was in my late 30s.
    - I used to drink a lot more tea.
    - I am very particular about my coffee. I like Green Mountain coffee the best... that's what we drink at home.
    - When I'm on the road, I prefer the coffee at Dunkin' Donuts and Tim Horton's over Starbucks (which is overrated, IMHO).
    - That powdered white stuff they call non-dairy creamer is disgusting. I like half-and-half in my coffee, but if it's not available, I'll settle for black coffee.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My drink of choice is Diet Coke. I was drinking too much (alright, probably still am) but I cut back to one can per day. After that I will survive on other liquids.

When it comes to regular coffee I will do an occassional cup when traveling or in a business meeting. I do like to go sit in a coffee shop at times when I need to get some reading or creative thinking accomplished. In these cases I will usually have a cappuccino in cooler months, or maybe a blended drink in summer. Since I started to visit a good coffeehouse in the neighboring downtown that has changed. They have a wonderful honey latte (honey and cinnamon) for cooler days and I made the switch to a berry smoothie in summer. I do miss the times gone by when I would spend a summer day sitting by the window of a coffee shop in Madison and watching the pretty coeds walk by. That was good coffee.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    - Started drinking coffee in high school
    - Currently drinking 4-6 cups per day
    - Have been much higher than that in the past
    - Drink only 2-3 cups on weekends
    - Only drink black coffee except for occasional after dinner with Bailey's or similar.
    - Don't like tea unless it's iced tea
    - Can drink coffee before bedtime and still sleep
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2002
    I figure I drink about five cups a day. I'd drink more, but the powers-that-be are strange about the coffee maker in the afternoon.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I like coffee it but it has to be decaf, which I usually only have on chilly mornings, maybe 2 cups. Real coffee causes severe body function problems I won't describe. Most days I stick with Diet Dew.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I drink about a cup of dirt water a day. Don't like the taste, and I try and hide the flavor with creamer and sugar.

It is better for my teeth than Coke though.... or so I'm told.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I've never drank coffee. I think it is because my parents made their slow drip coffee very strong. They drank one cup of coffee a day but it was a potent black ink. Just the smell of it would make me a bit queezy. My mother was would make the coffee while my dad was getting ready for work. She would pour the coffee into cups and carry it back on a tray to their bedroom, where they would have a cup together. A cup of bitter black coffee with just a little sugar.

When traveling my mom kept a jar of instant coffee in her purse. The restaurant coffee was anemic for her taste, so she would boost it with a spoonful of instant coffee.

The coffee was delivered to the house by the Standard Coffee Service.

My wife is Colombian, so naturally she likes her coffee and drinks a couple cups a day. She loves establishments (banks and auto repair places) that offer free coffee. She never passes up the chance for some free joe. She drinks her coffee with a splash of milk or cream.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I don't like coffee taste or smell. I used to take my caffeine carbonated, but gave that up a few years ago. I'm stimulant-free these days.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Currently at two cups per day, but I was recently told by a doctor to either cut way back or just go ahead and stop ingesting caffeine altogether...not looking forward to the headaches if I do quit cold turkey (although they will pass eventually).
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I've never been a coffee drinker, but I did work at a coffee shop at one time while in college. I always liked the smell but never the taste.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I fill my travel mug half full before I leave for the office. It holds 16oz so I guess I drink two cups a day.

I was a casual coffee drinker before my daughter was born...I did not even own a coffee maker. After she was born I went to Target and picked up two boxes of diapers and a coffee maker. The lady behind me was staring at my cart and I looked at her and said, " can you tell I am a new father?" Since then I drink coffee every day.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Never learned to drink the stuff.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2005
    Wow! A lot of non-coffee drinkers here. I don't know what is wrong with you all, but that's just more for me.

I do love coffee. Its not always the best choice, I will admit, especially when it makes me jittery. But I do love the smell and taste of a good cup o joe! In fact, I think the smell of fresh ground coffee is even more pleasing than freshly brewed.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I love coffee. My partner is lovely and already has a Dominican style cafe con leche made for me when I wake up in the mornings. Generally will have another regular brewed coffee when I get to the office or job site.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I have a coffee addition. I have my first two cups before I leave the house, two cups on my way to work, a cup or two when I get to work, a cup sometime after lunch, and a cup after dinner.

I also grind my own beans and mix my own blends. Recently I have also been adding a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg to the grounds before I grind the beans.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2005
    The first half of the first cup of coffee in the morning is almost better than… chocolate. Ooohhh… a mocha sounds nice now… darnit! I like me some coffee. But just about 2 cups per day of the caffeinated kind, after that it’s too hard to sit in my seat and do actual work.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I fill the Oster coffee maker to the 6-cup mark every morning. That equates to about 3-1/2 mugs. Hands still as steady as a surgeon's.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. A Cup Of Joe (Your Fave Coffee Cup)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 02 Sep 2011, 11:21 AM
  2. Your thoughts on coffee
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 09 Dec 2010, 11:55 AM
  3. Are you a coffee snob?