Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ambition unrealized (AIB btrage)

Registered
    Feb 2004

Ambition unrealized (AIB btrage)

btrage's post on aother thread reminded me of projects over the years that started out with lofty aims but due to legal troubles, money problems, or a host of other reasons, halt in their tracks and end up growing weeds.

Any examples you know of unused-but-installed infrastructure or other projects that for whatever reason have languished?

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Here's our local headache Bloomfield Park

It took them about 20 years of voting and legal batles to assemble the land and annex it from the township to the city. It was supposed to have retail, commercial, and residential and finally broke ground in 2008. Great time to try to bring something like that to market in an area already over-saturated in retail and not much population growth to speak of. I think they built for about a year before the funding ran out and now it just sits..

Now I drive past the eyesore on my way to work each day. Anybody want to buy a couple parking garages, a few hundred acres of property, and some rotting and rusting commercial building shells on a major highway? Let me know, I'll point you in the right direction!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Here's our local headache Bloomfield Park

It took them about 20 years of voting and legal batles to assemble the land and annex it from the township to the city. It was supposed to have retail, commercial, and residential and finally broke ground in 2008. Great time to try to bring something like that to market in an area already over-saturated in retail and not much population growth to speak of. I think they built for about a year before the funding ran out and now it just sits..

Now I drive past the eyesore on my way to work each day. Anybody want to buy a couple parking garages, a few hundred acres of property, and some rotting and rusting commercial building shells on a major highway? Let me know, I'll point you in the right direction!
    This is the first thing I thought of!! I use to to work near Telegraph and Woodward,so I'm very familiar with the area. Even during the peak of the housing/construction market, I thought it was an overly-ambitious project.

In Port Huron, they started on a minor league hockey complex in 1999. It was never finished. Not even close.

http://detroiturbex.com/content/park...pha/index.html
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    In Port Huron, they started on a minor league hockey complex in 1999. It was never finished. Not even close.

I always wondered what that was when I would see it from 94. I was out of the state when that was started so never saw it in the newspaper or anything. I figured it must be some sort of ice rink that just didn't take. That outlet mall that is right there is basically empty too, isn't it? I recall my mom and one of my sisters being excited when they first built that outlet mall and then went once or twice and said there was nothing worth going there for.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    There is one that had people that sounded amazing... but no one was able to figure out where the funding was going to come from.
    LINK To The River Grand project.

In the end, it died a misrible, horrible death and the developer's name is a swear word in the City now...
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    There is one that had people that sounded amazing... but no one was able to figure out where the funding was going to come from.
    LINK To The River Grand project.

In the end, it died a misrible, horrible death and the developer's name is a swear word in the City now...
    I forgot about this!

I remember when it was announced, my first thought was that my home price would go through the roof, even though I lived a couple of miles from downtown.

It was a fun time. Confidentiality agreements, PR firms, etc.. I was active on Urban Planet at the time, and everyone in the GR subforum became amateur sleuths trying to figure out who this guy was.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I forgot about this!

I remember when it was announced, my first thought was that my home price would go through the roof, even though I lived a couple of miles from downtown.

It was a fun time. Confidentiality agreements, PR firms, etc.. I was active on Urban Planet at the time, and everyone in the GR subforum became amateur sleuths trying to figure out who this guy was.
    We thought the same thing. We hoped that it would become reality because we could walk down to this development if we wanted to. I was skeptical because it seemed like a Dubai level project with Mayberry funding.
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The city in which I live has a long history a very bad planning related decisions. Having no downtown, they decided to try to create something of one. It is situated a half mile from a busy intersection, with a large strip center anchored by a grocery and Walmart discount store between. The City built a library and some nice condos were developed. The small retail is an awful deisgn with the dressed up backs of the buildings facing the public streets and small square in front of the library, and the fronts onto a parking lot in the center. Most of the past six or seven years it has been empty, and most of the businesses that opened there have failed. Now the city has approved rezoning a piece of residential land for a Walmart Supercenter two miles north, which will leave the strip center half empty. It was a bad project from the start, compounded by bad design and further bad decisions.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    There's a more subtle strain of ambition unrealized that probably falls under the category or "bait and switch" where developers sell visions of upscale power centers with luxury condos and golf courses that somehow years later become spacious parking lots with half-filled pedestrian strip malls.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Suburban Chicago has several uncompleted subdivisions, which are really just the victims of the housing market collapse and the overbuilding that preceded it. Those that came in towards the tail-end of the boom and/or were too large to sustain have fared the worst. Development will resume (and has already started back up again), but it will still take some time to complete these developments and "clear the inventory" so to speak.

Peruse areas like Yorkville, Sugar Grove, Plainfield, West Joliet, Shorewood, Lockport, New Lenox, Frankfort, Huntley, and Beecher, and you'll find them. Many more subdivisions were planned (and have already been annexed, zoned, and entitled in many cases), but are still farmland. During the boom years, some developers paid significant money for this farmland, which is now worth 15% of what they paid for it. Many of these developments or planned developments went into foreclosure. Most have since been purchased from the banks by investors at steep discounts relative to the boom years.

There are also failed commercial developments too, like this planned power center in Lockport: https://maps.google.com/?ll=41.59639...01929&t=h&z=16 or this planned power center in New Lenox: https://maps.google.com/?ll=41.54538...01929&t=h&z=16, both developed along the I-355 extension (which was completed in 2007-08), speculating that the new highway would bring in all this traffic.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    How about the beautiful "American Dream Meadowlands" conveniently located right next door to the Meadowlands Sports Complex.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Ameri...ew+Jersey&z=17

Abandoned since 2009, looks like someone just bought it, with new groundbreaking set to begin last year in late August.

Registered
    Mar 2004

I can't understand why it never took off like the empty outlet mall next to it!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

Xanadu

Welcome to the Meadowlands of New Jersey. In the shadow of the Met Life stadium where the New Yor-Jersey Superbowl was recently played is XANADU! It's a super mall that has yet to be finished for an astounding decade and has been through several developers. Triple Five which owns Mall of America acquired it last year and supposedly will finish it in 2014, however the Jets and Giants have filed a lawsuit against them because the Jets want the mall closed on home game days because of the traffic. Naturally Triple Five gave them the finger. It should be noted that the mall will be closed on Sundays due to Bergen County's blue laws. Whatever happens, it's been a boondoggle and it's ugly.

"He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Most everything around here gets appealed and most of it then goes away

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The Eiffel Tower? Frogs never hung drywall and siding to finish that thing.

#fail
    #losers
    #secondplace
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Oh, another good one, the Sullivan Street Pit.

Originally planned to be some condo's, the developer went bankrupt and just left it.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    Oh, another good one, the Sullivan Street Pit.

Originally planned to be some condo's, the developer went bankrupt and just left it.
    That would be a good place for a park!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Driving into downtown Petoskey, you will witness a giant scar of a leftover redevelopment project that has yet to come:

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-m...ids_devel.html

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Wannaplan? View post
    Driving into downtown Petoskey, you will witness a giant scar of a leftover redevelopment project that has yet to come:

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-m...ids_devel.html
    That boondoggle has changed the way I write Zoning Ordinances.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    ...In the shadow of the Met Life stadium where the New Yor-Jersey Superbowl was recently played is XANADU! ...
    I've always wondered what the hell that thing is. What's the ramp thingy supposed to be?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop View post
    I've always wondered what the hell that thing is. What's the ramp thingy supposed to be?
    I'm guessing an indoor ski slope or snowboarding ramp.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    That would be a good place for a park!
    From the Pawnee, IN website:
    http://www.pawneeindiana.com/parks-a.../pit-timeline/

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I'm guessing an indoor ski slope or snowboarding ramp.
    That's exactly what it was. It was to be the first indoor snow park with a ski school and everything. First in the United States from what I've read.

Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Is it sad that the website for a fictional city is better than ours?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. btrage is in Teh Clubbbbbbe
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 3:36 PM
  2. The Inquisition: btrage
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 49
    Last post: 08 Aug 2013, 8:35 AM
  3. It's btrage birthday
    Friday Afternoon Club