Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What are your go-to and fall back beers

Registered
    Feb 2004

What are your go-to and fall back beers

We're not saying that you necessarily prefer drinking them over other brands, but what beers do you find yourself drinking at restaurants/bars most often or found in your fridge most often?

In a perfect world I would probably elect to have an Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier to go with my cheeseburger at Red Robin, but unfortunately their beer menu like many restaurants and bars is rather limited. When dining at restaurants/bars I would venture to say I probably drink Budweiser (or possibly LaBatts Blue) by volume more than any other beer simply because of its availability.

Similarly with budget considerations being what they are, one generally doesn't find my fridge constantly filled with Old Rasputin or Rogue. It's kind of a hard call because I tend to buy a lot of different brands of beer, but if I had to pick one found in my fridge more than any other I guess it would be Bell's Amber Ale (a nice middle of the road), followed closely by Natural Ice. I tend to keep Natural Ice on hand to distribute to guests when they are visiting because in my experience many folks don't share my tastes in craft beers... and if guests aren't drinking it the 5.7 ABV has a nice kick for the low price.

What beer do you find yourself ordering out most often?
    What beer would one find in your fridge more often than any other (on average over, say, an entire year period)?
    Last edited by Maister; 05 Jul 2012 at 10:32 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2002
    Micholob Amber Bock. Most places I go to have it and it's a good compromise between taste and price.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    It used to be Saranac Pale Ale when I lived in NY. Now it's Harpoon IPA.

I also drink Bud Light and Miller Lite (cue the beer snobs)

Registered
    May 2005
    Miller Light is easily my fall back beer.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    If I am at a bar or restaurant and just want something cheap and lite, my go to bear is usually Miller High Life. If I want something with a bit more flavor, and they have it available, my normal go to beer is Anchor Steam.

Over the past few years, I've noticed that the beer that is most often stocked in my fridge is Shiner Bock.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Labatts Blue or Bud Light.

When I'm out, I'm usually having a margarita rather than a beer, but if beer it had to be, then I'd probably choose Rolling Rock most often, followed by InBev (f/k/a Anheuser Busch) products. The standard fridge fare is Bud Light, my budget being what it is.

I.Will.Not.Drink.Miller.Ever.

Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Newcastle Brown Ale is a frequent visitor to my fridge.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Miller Light is easily my fall back beer.
    I also go for the Miller High Life and the PBR.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Hipster alert!

Back in my Drinking Days it was Miller products.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Oct 2009
    I second the PBR; I keep some in the fridge and will order it if a place happens to have it. I will also go with a Blue Moon.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    May 2005
    My PBR is usually confined to restaurants in gentrified neighborhoods, or when I'm drinking mass quantities Up North.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I cannot do the PBR. When I was in grad school, the bar across the street from most of my classes had $1 PBR on Tuesdays. I always drank a few before (and usually after class) and no matter how many I had, would always have a splitting headache the next day. That never seems to happen with anything else I ever drink.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I cannot do the PBR. When I was in grad school, the bar across the street from most of my classes had $1 PBR on Tuesdays. I always drank a few before (and usually after class) and no matter how many I had, would always have a splitting headache the next day. That never seems to happen with anything else I ever drink.
    Circa?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Circa?
    Cass Cafe

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Cass Cafe
    My 2nd guess. We started going here after Circa lost its luster.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I can count on even the most backwoods or blue collar bar in upstate New York to have Labatt Blue on tap.

Where the tap selection is a bit better but still limited, maybe Sam Adams, Guinness, or Yuengling. Outside of the Northeast, Fat Tire, Odell 90 Shilling and Great Lakes Dortmunder were my go-to beers.

Otherwise, I like to try something different each time.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I can count on even the most backwoods or blue collar bar in upstate New York to have Labatt Blue on tap.

Where the tap selection is a bit better but still limited, maybe Sam Adams, Guinness, or Dundee. Outside of the Northeast, Fat Tire, Odell 90 Shilling and Great Lakes Burning River were my go-to beers.

Otherwise, I like to try something different each time.
    There is a bar down here that claims to have Great Lakes Brewery beers on tap but every time we go they are always out. So frustrating!

Registered
    Jun 2009
    My go-to beers are what is reasonably good and commonly available on tap wherever I am. When I lived in Illinois it was oftentimes Guiness, Bass, Harp, or Leinenkugels (Red, Honey Weiss, or just the regular lager). In Arizona it's definitely Four Peaks Kiltlifter. It's very good and available in pretty much any bar here (Four Peaks is a local brewery in Tempe). In my fridge I most often have Guiness, Kiltlifter, or even some Old Speckled Hen in the nitro cans (great summer beer).

If it were up to me I'd always have some Olde Engine Oil, RCH Old Slug Porter, Lion Stout, Hobgoblin, Four Peaks Pumpkin Porter, or Dark Lord Imperial Stout on hand.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I have my fridge full of leinkeugels sunset wheat and dos equis... I would say those are my house fall back beers.

At a bar or if I am going to cheap/lots of beer we would go miller.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I have my fridge full of leinkeugels sunset wheat and dos equis... I would say those are my house fall back beers.
    Dos Equis amber is highly underrated IMO

Registered
    May 2005
    I live 7 blocks from this brewery: http://marblebrewery.com/ Marble is where I usually get my beer – it really is, as they claim, Rock Solid! IPA, Wildflower Wheat, Pilsner (which is also very flowery), Amber and Red are in my regular rotation. They also sell shorter run brews like double and triple IPAs, some White beers, and so on.

Second “first choice” – if I am out shopping where it is sold - is Santa Fe Brewing Company: http://www.santafebrewing.com They sell beer in cans, which we like here because the City does not recycle glass at curbside. Santa Fe Brewing has some good priced beer and a decent brew quality. IPS, Stout, Irish Red and Octoberfest all come in cans so I have purchased and enthusiastically consumed all of them.

When these are not available, I mainly drink Tecate as my affordable fallback. It’s the Rolling Rock of the southwest. A decent, light, lower alcohol content beer that is as refreshing as it is relaxing. And it takes a lime wedge very well!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    “I don’t always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Molson's" But I usually fall back to Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar Ale, which is Molsonesque.

I don't drink Dos Equis, but I do enjoy Corona.

For a beer to take rafting, Hamm's.

“Stay thirsty, my friends.”
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    For a beer to take rafting, Hamm's.

“Stay thirsty, my friends.”
    Hamm's? Where does one procure such a vintage brew? I have only seen Hamm's in old pictures and ads from the 70's, along with Falstaff and Stroh's and Blatz. They actually still make that?
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Corona… but I am a wimpy beer drinker. I like the kinds of beer that come with a lemon or a lime in them.

One of my best beer experiences ever was drinking ice-cold PBR while camping in Missouri with family… utterly refreshing…aaahhhh….

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 13 Aug 2010, 2:01 PM
  2. Hurray! Fall is really here now!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 42
    Last post: 06 Oct 2009, 10:48 AM
  3. Time Change - Fall Back
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23