Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Running government like a business

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I hope Duke Energy gets nailed for what they just did. They merged with Progress Energy who did so under the expectation that their CEO would be in charge of Duke. One day after the merger is completed, the Duke heavy board outs the Progress CEO and his golden parachute.

Then were was PEPCO a couple weeks ago who was patting themselves on the back for their atrocious job in bringing power back to DC. Took them over a week while their competitor on the Virginia side took 36 hours. They have a terrible history on reliability and maintenance which regulators have nailed them for.

Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    I hope Duke Energy gets nailed for what they just did. They merged with Progress Energy who did so under the expectation that their CEO would be in charge of Duke. One day after the merger is completed, the Duke heavy board outs the Progress CEO and his golden parachute.

Then were was PEPCO a couple weeks ago who was patting themselves on the back for their atrocious job in bringing power back to DC. Took them over a week while their competitor on the Virginia side took 36 hours. They have a terrible history on reliability and maintenance which regulators have nailed them for.
    Duke sucks. I've heard NC intends to get tough on them. Then there's the shit they pulled here with the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission. Ballsy sobs.

There was a recent article on CNN about the actual costs of burying overheads and that it is half or slightly less than what the electric utils always say, and that doesn'tinclude the 'interuption costs' savings to them and their customers. I'm with Hink -- bury the damn lines!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    There was a recent article on CNN about the actual costs of burying overheads and that it is half or slightly less than what the electric utils always say, and that doesn't include the 'interuption costs' savings to them and their customers. I'm with Hink -- bury the damn lines!
    I agree. I'm tired of occasional water and gas line ruptures. Let's put those high KV lines underground too! Give those cable drillers something to think about.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Sep 2008

Running government...like a business.

We've been embroiled in budget discussions all week and the recurring theme from our elected officials is that the key to success is running government "like a business". What say you? I'm sure all planning professionals are dealing with the pressure to provide better education and skills in the community, while also being nagged with comments about the lack of necessity for Planning groups in such a "business" operation. I'm sure there are others dealing with this same line of argument...thoughts?
    "In our profession, a plan that everyone dislikes for different reasons is a success. A plan everyone dislikes for the same reason is a failure. And a plan that everyone likes for the same reason is an act of God." - Richard Carson

Registered
    Mar 2007
    We actually just had a lengthy discussion on the matter: Running government like a bsiness
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    We actually just had a lengthy discussion on the matter: Running government like a bsiness
    Moderator note:
    Threads merged.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 2008
    I apologize, I searched for this before I posted and don't know how I didn't find it!
    "In our profession, a plan that everyone dislikes for different reasons is a success. A plan everyone dislikes for the same reason is a failure. And a plan that everyone likes for the same reason is an act of God." - Richard Carson

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 07 Aug 2009, 11:18 AM
  2. Running a planning department
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 25 Oct 2007, 3:56 PM
  3. Running afoul of ethics?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 11